• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DAVID HICKMAN'S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before the holidays...I stopped by the Jazz section (MISS FILED!THANKFULLY) at the Kent Wa. library...and there before my eyeballs....is DAVID HICKMAN'S amazing classical trumpet and piano recording that fully illustrates EXACTLY THE SOUND in classical trumpet that for a lack of a better word...IS JUST PLAIN AND SIMPLE...."SOLID GOLD!"
Many folks would call this a very simplistic recording...Just piano..and trumpet.
Piano by Pauline Soderholm and Eric Dalheim back DAVID'S TRULY AMAZING SKILL...playing such difficult but beautifully articulated and musical renditions:
1.CREDO by John Chance
2 thru4 SONATA FOR TRUMPET & PIANO.
by Halsy Stevens
5.ROSE VARIATIONS by Robert Bennett
6 through 8. SUITE FOR TRUMPET by William Oresser
9.CAPRICE by Joseph Turrin
10 through12 SONATA for Trumpet and Piano by Kent Kennan
13.-.15 SONATA for Trumpet and Piano by Norman Dello Joio
and MY FAVORITE BY FAR AND AWAY...WAS
.16 SCHERZO IN D MINOR by Rafael Mendez...TRULY PRICELESS!!!

INTENSITY...PRECISE DOUBLE TONGUING TO PERFECTION...BRIGHT TONE FILLED WITH CLARITY AND FAT HUGE FULL BODIED LOWER REGISTER...AND A GLIDING LYRICAL AND FLOWING TRUMPET SOUND FILLED WITH PASSION AND FEELING.
THIS CD IS A WORK OF PURE BRASS PERFORMACE AT IT'S FINEST!

After sending Dave a HUGE ROSE FILLED THANK YOU...to his address at:
David.Hickman@asu.edu

telling him how I felt about his #16 version of Scherzo in D...was sooo darned inspirational...that after hearing and playing this wonderful piece of music....IN HONOR AND TRIBUTE...I felt like taking my beloved old Callet Symphonique C horn...GO TO THE BACK YARD!!! DIG A HOLE IN THE GREEN EARTH...BURY MY CALLET INTO THE SOIL...WITH JUST THE BEAUTIFUL GOLD WASHED BELL..STICKING OUT OF THE DIRT...FACING UP TOWARD HEAVEN...AS AN EXTREME MEASURE OF TRIBUTE TO THE BEST PIECE OF RECORDED TRUMPET MUSIC THAT THIS OLD BADBOY HAS EVER HEARD IN THIS LIFE TIME...

Dick promptly and humorous sent me back this reply....

"DON!!!! THANKS!!! WOW! I HAVE NEVER HAD SUCH A GLOWING REVIEW.
Hope your Thanksgiving was nice, too."
Dave...))

Ps...Dave is a Yamaha clinician also.
bye the way Dave is considered one of the world's finest trumpet virtuosos an has appeared (at the time of this writing 1964 over 400 orchestras world wide...a feat in itself.)
Served loyally for the ITG....founder of Summit Brass.
Taught for 8 years at Uof Ill. before joining the faculty at Arizona State in 1982...and after hearing his rendition of Rafael Mentdez's music...it goes without saying why in part that he teaches annually at the Mendez Brass Institiute and has published tons of articles and texts...including the MUSIC SPEED READING (a hugely successful sight reading method used by hundreds of University and conservatory classes as well as numerous school systems world wide.
Hey the list of accomplishments goes on from here and buggles and boggles my mind!!!
Check out Davids works..WOW!!! TALK ABOUT "SOLID GOLD!"

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-12-03 14:01 ]
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I agree with you. I am currently working on my DMA with David Hickman, and he is as fine a musician as I have ever known.

Check out his "Intimate Baroque" album, with the Telemann Concerto, Hertel, Vivaldi for 2Tpts and Brandenburg. Quite possibly one of the best recordings Ive ever heard!

Go to Summit Records to find all his other recordings, http://www.summitrecords.com

[ This Message was edited by: Brewblue1 on 2002-12-03 14:35 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely. I had that CD and somehow misplaced it. The ending of Credo is just amazing. He makes it sound so relaxed and easy.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys..for adding the link to his recordings...and how very lucky to be able to glean from this amazingly gifted gent....
I am still blown away by this CD!
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hickman is a great player and I also have all of his method books. They are very good to work from. I understand why he became a yamaha artist, but I really liked his sound when he was playing on custom gold plated Blackburns. I wonder if he still plays the Blackburn piccolos. Anyone know?
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and to think that he's from the small town of Kimball, Nebraska, out in God's country. I've always wondered what his band director thought when he was learning to play....

Dave
londonhusker
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wonder if he still plays the Blackburn piccolos. Anyone know?"

Hickman plays a gold plated Yamaha picc. All his horns are Yamaha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: