• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

8335LA Bergeron Yamaha

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
screamking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: 8335LA Bergeron Yamaha Reply with quote

I know that this horn is out now but I haven't heard anything about them. There was a lot of hype about this horn before it came out. Anybody own one of these or tried them now that there out? What are your thoughts about the horn?
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search feature. The horn's actually talked about a lot, for the time it's existed.
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think the horn was out yet.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn has been produced in a very limited quanitity, I guess what you would consider as prototypes. As someone who really respects Wayne, and really respects what Yamaha is trying to do in making better, more consistant instruments, but also as a person who has never played a Yamaha that fits me as a player, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these to give it a blow.

My local dealer has made many attempts to get a prototype in for me to play, but so far no luck.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 8335LA and a 9335NY on the way to try out. I will let you guys know how they play.

I got to play the prototype "LA" at ther last NTC and was very impressed. I am looking forward to trying out the horns side by side.

I'll let you guys know what happens.
silveryoshii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o no fair

Bach Megatone 1C/Bach3C/Bach Megatone 3C
TMPTChewie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was going to get a chance to blow the horn but my professor hasnt really said anything about the horn for a while. He said he talked to wayne about em and Wayne had a "party" of sorts to get together to blow the prototypes. He wasnt able to make that because of the in town musical gig he had. Wayne was supposed to send him one of the prototypes or something like that. He also called a yamaha rep...not sure how that turned out.

I do wonder how the horn will play, I had tested the newyork artist a while ago and was blown away. With this being a commercial horn im sure its going to blow the market away. So dare I say, "Look out Kanstul!"
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles71 wrote:
I have a 8335LA and a 9335NY on the way to try out. I will let you guys know how they play.

I got to play the prototype "LA" at ther last NTC and was very impressed. I am looking forward to trying out the horns side by side.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

How??? My dealer is one of the largest Yamaha dealers in the world and they can't even get one. I'm so jealous!!!
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
Watkins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local store had a 8335 and a Chicago in and sold them both in 2 days. I did get to play the NY, a good horn but not what I need. The best horn I've played lately is the 8310Z.
Watkins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local store had a 8335 and a Chicago in and sold them both in 2 days. I did get to play the NY, a good horn but not what I need. The best horn I've played lately is the 8310Z.
AZcoolhorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chewie--

I got to play one of the "pre-production" prototypes up at DCI back in August...if I'd have known you were interested, I could have hooked you up while you were up there. A friend of mine is a Yamaha sales rep. and was there all week...they didn't have the horn out on display (it was under the table).

Anyway, it shouldn't be too much longer...what's holding it up as much as anything is the bell that they use. It is basically the same as the 8310z, 8340EM, etc. with the French bead...the last I heard, there was only one guy actually making those specific bells in Japan and LOTS of horns to make...

I think that the strike at Bach has also encouraged Yamaha to go after some of the market share with their Xeno's for the students that would normally buy Strads, etc. Priorities, you know...

BTW, congrats on DCI...I got to check you guys out from the 50 yard line, about 40 rows up for your last performance. Did you get to see the Madison Alumni group? Anyway, glad to know you're back in town...we'll have to get you out to sub in some of the reading bands in town & hang out at some point.
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watkins wrote:

How are they getting these horns? They have not even been released!

They had an 8335, but was it an 8335LA? Could it have been an 8335RGS, 8335G, 8335S, 8335GS? The 8335LA horn will not even be released until next April.

Quote:
Yamaha YTR-8335LA Custom Bb Trumpet

Yamaha Corporation of America, Band & Orchestral Division, will showcase the YTR-8335LA Custom Bb Trumpet at Winter NAMM 2006.

Designed with the assistance of Yamaha artist Wayne Bergeron, the trumpet is ideal for professional players as well as college and high school students.

The silver-plated YTR-8335LA features a side seam variable-thickness bell. It also has an 8310Z leadpipe with a larger venturi and a medium-large bore size, making it a perfect lead trumpet for jazz or commercial playing.

“Wayne Bergeron represents a unique player in today’s market: one who needs a horn that will respond to his energy and intensity,” states Kurt Witt, Marketing Manager, Winds, Yamaha Band & Orchestral Division. “Yamaha trumpet designer Bob Malone and Wayne worked together to create an amazing instrument that will blow people away.”

The production instruments are exactly identical to the custom-crafted horn that Bergeron is playing. A leader in manufacturing consistency, Yamaha has the technology to accurately reproduce an instrument based on the specifications Malone and the development artist determine.

One of the top Los Angeles studio trumpet players, Bergeron’s sound can be heard on the soundtracks of such feature films as The Incredibles, Friday Night Lights and Anchorman.

The YTR-8335LA will be available in April.

Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8335LA was supposed to be released April of 2006, but since Yamaha kicked up the Xeno line as stated in an earlier post, it was backed off. The horn is out there in a limited supply. I also heard a rumor the lead pipe wasnt right on some of the prototypes so they made the correction.

I plan on having a selection of upper end Yamahas at the Maryland Trumpet Day. It will be cool to play them along side the Stage 1's.
MJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music123/Woodwind & Brasswind websites indicate they will have this horn available on October 20. If you are seriously looking you might give them a call. I just bought an 8310Z from them and the service was great and at least for now yamaha horns include free overnight shipping.
MJ
BradHarrison
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't held it in my hands but I've heard from multiple sources that Long & McQuade in Toronto has at least one of the LA's. Apparently it's making it's rounds among the pros to try right now.
Bartok
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I played on all of the new Yamaha's a few weeks back.

9335NY
9335CH
8335LA
8340EM

9445NY
9445CH

Of the Bb's...they are all great horns. The 9335NY reminded me the most of a "regular horn". Kind of like a Bach 37 that's easier to play and with very even scale. It was fantastic. And, of course, GREAT intonation.

The 9335CH is a sister horn to the Chicago C. It's also fantastic with even scale, and makes it easier to switch between Bb and C. For players who play a lot of C, they would like this horn. This is the horn that I ended up getting!

The 8335LA was great. Nice, and lively. Has a nice core, and fantastic upper register. A great commercial horn. But, you can definitely use it for legit work as well. Even though it's an 8335 model, it has a french bead on the bell.

The 8340EM was also great. The end of the bell is big. I think it's over 5 inches. A great upper register horn with lot's of shout.

Everyone of these horns slotted VERY well up to high G-A. Didn't try any higher. I'm a legit player

Yamaha is putting out horns that will fill every corner of the market. And, the newer horns have a much more interesting sound compared to the Yamaha's of the past. Very velvety....but fantastic projection and a nice hint of sizzle when pushed on.

Last edited by Bartok on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jejensen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hornguys.com/ says they have them. They're in La Crescenta CA, so it's pretty close for anyone in the LA area.

They also have a Kanstul X Model, so you can kill two birds and try them both - and then report back here!

Jason
Watkins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How are they getting these horns? They have not even been released!

They had an 8335, but was it an 8335LA? Could it have been an 8335RGS, 8335G, 8335S, 8335GS? The 8335LA horn will not even be released until next April."

Couldn't tell you why they got these 3 horns in-yes it was the LA8335, Chicago, and NY. Maybe someone has connections...
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Toronto in August for the trumpet symposium, Long and McQuade had just received the 1st 8335LA (not prototype) for sale. I played it (I've played the prototypes in 3 different places since last January. It's a great all around horn. Worth waiting for to try.

GT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay -- here is the word directly from Yamaha, straight from one of the Yamaha reps who is in charge of promoting the 8335LA.

There were 5 prototype horns other than the ones in Bergeron's hands. One of the 5 horns was destroyed last week when it was damaged after being checked in on a flight to Florida.

NO - zero - none - not even one - Yamaha YTR8335LA trumpets have been released for sale.

The companies that have the YTR-8335LA on their websites are going to be taking orders, but the definite release date has not been given to anyone because as of today there is no definite release date.

If you claim you have played on a prototype then you will have played on one of only 5 horns released by Yamaha as a prototype. If you were told by someone in a store that they had one that was for sale you were given incorrect information.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: