• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just touching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris and I were talking on the phone the other day, and he went into some detail on the topic of the "just touching" idea that Doc mentions throughout the materials he gave me and in the Pivot Manual.

It's interesting going back through the Manual also, because for years I haven't played out of it. But I'm finding that avoiding a Herculean amount of "buzzing firmness" and limiting it to a "just touching" embouchure formed at close to buzzing firmness that my chops are feeling much more resilient in only a matter of days. And playing out of the Manual while utilizing this concept has played a big part in that, I'm convinced.

After many years of beginning every day with the Prologue of the Five Cheek Puff Routines, I'm approaching this differently and, not-so-amazingly, with some different results. Maybe that's why Doc started giving out the 7-Day Routine that really mixed it all up throughout the week . . . so that no single area of playing got over- or under-emphasized.

Still learning after all these years.

Rich
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
when I tried to think of the "just touching" idea in my warm-ups, it seemed to ease up on mouthpiece pressure and help in terms of endurance. But, the funny thing I think also happened was that it made me start off with an ever-so-slightly more closed embouchure set. For me, I guess it was an added bonus.

Kurt Z
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very wise man and fantastic all-around brass player (my junior high band director of MANY years ago) once said "We are always learning. Just when you think you've become a trumpet player, something comes along that makes you realize you're still, and will always be, a trumpet student". Thanks for passing along your revelation.

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-06 10:01, dbacon wrote:
Would this be similar to, "Less Pressure, More In The Mouthpiece" that could be a different way of saying the same thing?

Hmmm, I think what I mean is an embouchure formed with almost buzzing firmness with the lips just touching as Doc wrote and typed and told me many, many times (I don't claim to be a fast learner).

And I don't know who invented those terms "open" or "closed" embouchure, but they have nothing to do with what Doc taught. Doc taught that the aperture is the space blown open, not tongued open. That tells me that the embouchure is always "closed" until the air blows it open, period.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: