• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet and Effects Pedals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beez

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Trumpet and Effects Pedals Reply with quote

I started playing rock gigs lately and I want to start experimenting with some effects pedals. I tried some normal distortion and overdrive pedals with some success but I want some other effects. Some of the pedals I've tested only pick up the mid register while others only work on the lower register. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pedal that would work well with trumpet?
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has one of these:
http://www.digitech.com/en/products/ipb-10-programmable-pedalboard

If you've got about $1000 to throw down (I don't), it is the bomb, and more than you will ever need! (Which means you can trade in your other pedals for credit towards it)

Are you sure it's the pedal, and not the mic? I'm guessing you are happy with the mic with no distortion? Just throwing out ideas...

If you're lucky, TH user indofunk will chime in. If not, you might want to PM him. Nice guy with a lot of knowledge on electronic gadgetry
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to use guitar effects, I found they worked better if I ran them through the effects loop on the board and into a separate channel than my trumpet mic.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember the King Vox Octavoice?

I was pretty cool- produced a sound one octave lower that what you played on the horn. Monster jazz trombonist Urbie Green used the King Vox Octavoice a lot on his combo gigs (every time I saw him live.) Jazz lines in octaves sound terrific.

Don't get too excited. It did NOT produce a tone one octave higher.
There was a tiny metal pickup that had to be soldered to the brass mouthpiece (after drilling a small hole into the cup from the outside) and this pickup was connected to a belt controller. A regular amp cord connected the controller to the amplifier.

I used one in night clubs 30 years ago with great "effect!"
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some modulation pedals such as a Phase shifter or Flanger. A Wah pedal might also be fun to try out.

Like Connartist mentioned, these can get pricey fast but something else that might be cool is a Digitech Whammy pedal. pitch shifting ALL over the place.
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Boss RC30 loop station, which I am trying to get the hang of for layering purposes.

An aquantaince of mine uses one regularly for vocals, keys, violin, trumpet and more - very effective.

It has limited effects as part of the setup - but little control for the amount of effect so not very subtle (this might be just be that I haven't learnt enough about using it yet!).

The other hurdle is making the effects output dominate over the natural sound of the trumpet - unless using a mute, it gets loud very quickly.

I get the impression that the units designed for vocalists are going to be more suitable for miked trumpet use in comparison to guitar effect pedals, unless (as in previous post) the pedal is put in as an insert on a mixing desk.

I would love to get my hands on something like the TC Helicon Voicelive Touch. It seems to offer the ergonomics and functionality that might be just the ticket - has anyone got experience with one of those and trumpet use?
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzjezz wrote:

The other hurdle is making the effects output dominate over the natural sound of the trumpet - unless using a mute, it gets loud very quickly.

Hm. That's a good point about natural trumpet dominating. You could probably rig up a Yamaha Silent Brass to use as a type of pickup, seeing as it has an output for the headphones and you can control the amount of volume that goes out. Only problem there is going from the smaller headphone plug to the larger plug used by most effects pedals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: