• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maynard Ferguson: Live At Jimmy's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet fro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard Live At Jimmy's but I heard it is one of Maynard's best. Does anyone know where I can get this?
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay or Amazon, LP only.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 11:40 ]
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One approach to getting this reissued is write to Michael Cuscuna c/o Mosaic Records. Mosaic has reissued material on Columbia before (the Woody Shaw set and the Miles Davis Plugged Nickel box, maybe more), so they've got the business relationships already to make it happen. Mosaic has also reissued Maynard Ferguson sets before (note that the 14 LP Roulette set of Maynard is about to sell out). I'd suggest asking Mosaic to reissue the entire MF Horn series of albums that were on Columbia as a set. They might be able to do a deal with Columbia where Columbia issues the CD set while Mosaic issues the LP version, which is how they did the Plugged Nickel box.

Read the Mosaic Records website (www.mosaicrecords.com) before writing, if you're not familiar with them, and remember that postal mail is always more effective than email when you're lobbying for something. Michael Cuscuna might even respond--he did when I wrote to him several years ago.

As a company that reissues sets in quantities between 2,500 and 10,000, Mosaic would take notice if they got 1,000 postal letters asking for this, don't you think?
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard rumors that Columbia actually lost the master tapes to "Live at Jimmy's" and that is why it has not been re-released. The only other reason I can fathom is that they are holding it until Maynard passes away. A truly sick idea but cetainly not beneath some corporate suits.
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-23 19:18 ]
G-MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live At jimmy's is definitely one of my favorites. I have the LP somewhere in my place but I just don't listen to LP's anymore. I guess I should try to dig it up and see if it is still playable. It definitely has the best version of Mcarthur park.

1974 L.A. Benge 3X MLP (#13120)
1976 Getzen Eterna Fluegelhorn
2007 Yamaha YTR6810S Piccolo
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Live At Jimmy's is heavy weight stuff for sure. You guys are making me want to dig out my old double LP and burn it onto a CD.
Larry Smithee
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the version of "MacArthur Park" from Jimmy's is good, but the one from MF Horn One as on another plane. It has a lovely singing quality. It's some of the most beautiful, melodic, upper register playing I've heard.

Maynard confession: The other week I needed to meet my kindergarten daughter's bus bringing her back from school. It was a half day, and snowy. I'd been working in my home office that morning and needed a quick shower before meeting the bus. In the shower, the MF Horn One version of "MacArthur Park" popped into my head and I started replaying it in my memory--I haven't actually heard it in years. It didn't take long to forget where I was or what I needed to do. At some point I came to and scrambled to get dressed and out the door. I missed the bus by about two minutes. Fortunately, the crossing guard was nice enough to field my daughter so she didn't have to ride back to school feeling unloved.
trumpet fro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Larry is on the right track. I'll happily pay a S&H fee if someone burned it and then mailed it to me. That would make a great holiday treat.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-16 17:15, trumpet fro wrote:
I think that Larry is on the right track. I'll happily pay a S&H fee if someone burned it and then mailed it to me. That would make a great holiday treat.

Well, ho, ho, ho. Prepare to have a screamin' holiday. I'll work on it this week and get it ready for you.
Larry Smithee
slam308

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
Feel like burning another copy. My husband is a huge jazz/big band lover and I've been searching for a while for this "Live at Jimmy's" on CD for him. E-Mail me with "Live at Jimmy's" in the title (I can check mail at work, but I can't surf.) I'd pay for S&H, CD, time, labor, whatever!
Any help would be appreciated!
Sharon
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-17 18:38, slam308 wrote:
Larry,
Feel like burning another copy. My husband is a huge jazz/big band lover and I've been searching for a while for this "Live at Jimmy's" on CD for him. E-Mail me with "Live at Jimmy's" in the title (I can check mail at work, but I can't surf.) I'd pay for S&H, CD, time, labor, whatever!
Any help would be appreciated!
Sharon

Sharon,
I sent an email to both you and trumpet fro but I'm wondering if the TH email thingy is actually working. If you don't get my email to you just post a note here and we'll figure out something.
Larry Smithee
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

I don't mean to open a can of worms for you, but I'll pay you for a burned copy of "Live at Jimmys". Let me know where to send payment.

Mark Heuer
ehoy1555@juno.com
Mark_Heuer@Swett.com

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Mark Heuer on 2002-12-17 21:18 ]
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading some of these posts, I got my Album of "Live at Jimmy's" and listened. This is a great album! I haven't listened to it in years. Teo Macero produced it, and he has done some great work with others, including Miles Davis.

I remember going to listen to Maynard's band 3 times in one week at the Warehouse One nightclub in the Springfield, Massachusetts area when I was a freshman in college. I sat at the front table one night, right against the stage, with some musician buddies. The remnants of the English Band that he had come back with to the USA made up this group of guys. They did four sets each night for 6 nights, so I got to listen to 12 sets in one week!

The entire band was incredible. Lin Biviano had just joined the band, and they were just working on the charts that were recorded on this album. I still remember listening and watching Maynard play. The playing was obviously incredible, but being that close you get a different perspective. He always has fun! I remember that he played trumpet,Superbone, Baritone horn, soprano sax, and french horn that night! The guys in the band are always good. And it is always entertaining. What else do you need!

You see arguements about his playing being nothing but showmanship. Let me think. If I had that kind of range and endurance, would I keep it a secret? I think not! And having any knowledge of his musical history would put you in the group that knows better.

Thanks for getting me to listen to the album again!

Pete
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first ever recording of ferguson that had heard, and it was checked out of the public Library on LP, in 1986. Still one of my favorites.
David
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Mosaic about a reissue of the box set - they can't - the licensing arrangement was for a set number of pressings and has been too complex to negotiate for more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: