• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

spinning classes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OzTrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:38 am    Post subject: spinning classes Reply with quote

can also be helpful to those who are concerned about weight loss. Gravy, chicken, canned 14 cup 45 mentality thinking ? or rather , non-thinking! V ery few
I like reading about Randland, but heck no would I want to live there What percentage of the population actually becomes Warders or Aes Sedai? 0.1%? What percentage are nobles or rich merchants with
Basketball 210 230 260 280 310 330 360 380 405 we did not get even one complaint. do not immediately diffuse into all the different tissues. There are a series of biochemical
With a final bark of farewell, the two wolves dove back into the murky waters and paddled to shore Within moments, they had disappeared into the heavy growth on the shoreline Tombeline could still f

Last edited by OzTrumpeteer on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:38 am; edited 2 times in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exam week is coming here at school. This is too big a can of worms to open until I can give it the attention it deserves (perhaps in the pedagogy forum rather than here or in the Caruso forum).

Soon...
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Bill Adam forum ...
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-10 10:38, OzTrumpeteer wrote:
I posted this in the Caruso forum but nobody has replied. Perhaps they were expecting a question about creating some monstrous, teacher hybrid?

Anyway, here is the question again (edited):

In a recent post PH mentioned the compatability of the Caruso and Adam methods and I had been meaning to ask about ideas on how (if?) to combine the two. Both methods advocate removing the focus from technical aspects and placing it on the blow and timing (Caruso), and the blow and sound (Adam), so it seems to me that there might be a way of utilizing the methods together.

Is it best to use these methods, practicing them, but separately, or can the 2 be combined?

I know that Caruso says not to worry about the sound when playing the exercises, but if you focused on producing a good sound, while still following the 4 rules, would that be detrimental to the effectiveness of the exercises?

A more logical way might be to add the timing aspects to the Adam method.

Has anyone tried combining the 2 methods?

Does anyone know what the 2 men thought of each other's ideas?

Edit: Just thought I'd clarify that my point here is to find out how to use the methods to compliment each other. Not to imply that either is deficient.

thanks,
Corey.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: OzTrumpeteer on 2002-12-11 05:57 ]</font>

You would do well to listen to what Pat Harbison has to say about this. I believe he studied under both Bill Adam and Carmine Caruso. He also has the experience as an educator to elaborate on the points.
OzTrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I briefly considered calling my post "Hey Pat! Answer my question" but I thought that might be a little forward

Seriously though, I originally posted this in the Caruso and Adam forums where I thought Pat (among others) might see it. His generosity with his time and advice has certainly proved, IMO, his reputation as an educator and I'm sure he will get back to this when he has the time.

The "can of worms" statement has made me a little nervous though.....
PH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm back.

First of all, this is just me talking. You probably won't find too many Caruso or Adam students agreeing with me. However, I am convinced that that is because almost no one else studied for years with both teachers and understands both approaches very well. I can't think of anyone who really claims that they derived great benefits from both (except perhaps Dominic Spera & Randy Brecker). A few people that I know had great success with one of these masters and had a limited amount of exposure to the other.

Almost all the Adam students I know have gross misconceptions about what Carmine's teaching was about. (I think Mr. Adam probably has these misconceptions as well). Most Caruso students don't know much about Adam either.

To me there are more fundamental similarities to these approaches than differences. The things that Adam & Caruso had their students practice weren't very similar, but the approaches have much in common in their philosophical/psychological underpinnings and in their understanding of efficent learning process. I have not had a lot of trouble harmonizing them. I will say that I have only been using both approaches together in my daily work for a couple of years.

I studied with Adam (& Adam students) for 6-7 years. In those years I only did Adam stuff. Then I studied with Carmine for a little over 3 years. In those years and the 3 years that followed I did not follow Adam's approach, but pursued Caruso's method. After that I returned to graduate school and studied again for about 3 years with Mr. Adam. For those 3 years and the following 10 to 12 I only practiced from Adam's approach (although I used both in my teaching as needed).

My renewed interest in Caruso and my reintroduction to regular work on his studies was inspired by a few encounters with other Caruso students such as Laurie Frink, Sam Burtis, and especially by Charly Raymond's great contributions to this site.

These days I find that my daily practice is unfortunately inconsistent due to other personal and professional demands. I practice anywhere from 1 to 5 hours per day, so I don't normally adhere to a set routine. In an ideal day (5 or more hours of practice) I'd probably play the first 30-45 minutes of my Adam routine (lead pipe, long tones and/or flow studies, Clarkes, some Schlossberg or Glantz). Then I'd take a chop break (during which I'd probably play the piano or write some music). Then I'd come back and spend 30-45 minutes doing my Caruso routine (6 notes, 2nds, review the interval chart, harmonics, chromatic pedal and scale, tonguing exercise, chord pedal and scale, developed scale, & maybe a little bit of the Baermann book). Then I'd take another break. After that I'd probably do some articulation/pronunciation work and some legato lyrical playing from Arban, Getchell, Charlier, Bozza, Vannetelbosch, etc. Then I'd finish my day playing with Aebersolds.

Remember that I'm a professional player who has been working on this stuff for years. This is especially crucial with the Caruso stuff. Go to the thread on that forum called "Getting Started" and go at least as slowly as Charly suggests. Slower is better than faster. It is better to take 2 or 3 weeks on each lesson than to move on before you are ready. Progress in the Caruso studies is not about getting through all the exercises in a hurry. It isn't about how high you can go on the intervals. Advancement in Caruso studies is 100% determined by how closely you follow the Four Rules and how refined your timing gets. It is about synchronization of physical activity, & that is achieved by subdividing the beat. It is NOT about muscular strength.

Anyway, that is how I do it on a heavy practice day.

On a lighter practice day (1 hour or less) I would probably start with leadpipe, a few long tones or flow studies, a few Clarke studies, 6 notes, 2nds, one or two other interval studies, harmonics, and then I'd work on something musical.

That is the specific stuff I do and how I balance things. I will talk about the similarities in the philosophical, psychological, and attitudinal approaches in another post tomorrow.

Last edited by PH on Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:51 am; edited 2 times in total
PH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it isn't a day later, but atleast I'm back!

It’s all about balance. Adam knows it and Carmine knew that, too. They both would agree that the conscious mind needs to focus on a goal. The player can not be too emotionally involved in their "success" in reaching that goal. The player is too busy playing to have time for conscious mind evaluation.

The unconscious mind does the fixing unbidden via repetition of a systematic routined approach to the rudiments of playing. The conscious mind keeps the "eye on the prize". For Carmine the conscious focus was rhythm. For Adam the conscious focus is tone. In both cases, the only willful physical activity is blowing. This takes up a small portion of the player's thinking during playing. The rest of the thinking is obsessively focused on the target (CC=timing, WA=sound).

Carmine achieved balance in his students by focusing on rhythm. Adam achieves it by focus on timbre. They actually take philosophically similar, nonmanipulative approaches to achieve a similar goal of balance throughout the playing system. The exercises and the mental focus is different, but the understanding of learning psychology really isn’t.

Last edited by PH on Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
OzTrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, Pat. At the moment I'm enjoying some good results from using the two methods (in separate practice sessions). I think it's just a matter of finding a good balance between them (if you'll excuse the pun), though I haven't yet decided whether it works better to start the day with CC or BA.
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the days I can practice one or one and a half hour. Sometimes (not often) I can study for two hours a day. This is what I mostly do:

-Buzzing lead-pipe
-Caruso 6 notes
-Caruso 2nds
-Caruso 3rds
5-10 minutes rest.
-Adam long tones (start at G in staff)
-Clarke exercise 1 (start at #13)
-Schlossberg #6
-Schlossberg #31
-Schlossberg #13
-Schlossberg #14
-Schlossberg #15
-Expanding Scales (as explained at Mark Minasian website)
-5-10 minutes rest
-Other things as tonguing exercises, etudes, jazz-tunes.

I was wondering if it is the best to start with the Caruso exercises. I'm doing this because I think you need fresh chops for the Caruso exercises. The next weeks I will be adding more of the Caruso routine into my schedule.
However maybe I'm wrong and is it better to start with the Adam warming-up routine/Schlossberg and ending the day with Caruso.
Are there any opinions on this (Pat)????

Karel.
PH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it different ways and find that once I get used to the new drill they all basically work.

Right now most days I seem to play the leadpipe, long tones, Clarke 1 (about 30 minutes of stuff) and then take a short break and hit a mixture of Caruso and the new Frink/McNeil "Flexus" stuff (about an hour total plus breaks). Then I break and pick up the articulation stuff from Adam before finishing the day with a lot of musical work.
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I start with Caruso, my embouchure always "feels" good for the rest of my practice time. But I think I will work the other way around for the next weeks. See if it makes any difference for me.
The new Frink/McNeil book, sounds interesting. I understand it's a good mix between Caruso and other exercises. I heard also good things about the Bob Findley book.
There is so much to do and I wish I had more time for practicing!
Miles58
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Carmine achieved balance in his students by focusing on rhythm. Adam achieves it by focus on timbre. They actually take philosophically similar, nonmanipulative approaches to achieve a similar goal of balance throughout the playing system. The exercises and the mental focus is different, but the understanding of learning psychology really isn’t."

Hmm, I wonder what kind of results one would achieve if they were to play the Caruso exercises, but instead of following the Four Rules, followed Adam's principles?
PH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-06 00:56, Miles58 wrote:
...Hmm, I wonder what kind of results one would achieve if they were to play the Caruso exercises, but instead of following the Four Rules, followed Adam's principles?

I don't know. I wonder what would happen if you played football according to the rules of hockey without the sticks and ice? Oh, wait! That's called rugby.

Seriously, I don't believe that you could do the Caruso studies according to the Adam principles. The CC stuff isn't about the notes. The Four Rules ARE the Caruso studies.

Also, Adam did give most of us long setting exercises at certain points in our development. He said these were exercises he had been assigned when he was a student of Louis Maggio. Interestingly, Maggio's long setting studies are not mentioned in the Maggio method book, and the pedal studies that make up the core of the Maggio "method" book were only used rarely by Mr. Adam with his students and not at all (to my knowledge) after about 1980.

Last edited by PH on Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Miles58
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
The rugby comment was appropriate, as I was speaking with tongue in cheek.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you use both methods in your teaching as needed. Do you evaluate a student's playing and then decide whether the student could benefit more from Caruso or Adam and then steer them in one of the two directions, or do you more commonly give assignments with exercises from both methods?
PH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give most everybody stuff from the Adam concept and prescribe the Caruso stuff as needed on a case by case basis. Of course, all of it is somewhat modified based on my own knowledge and interests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: