• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schools for Trumpet in Alabama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a college freshman at a school in Alabama and wanted to get some opinions from people as to what the best schools for studying trumpet are down here. I never did get around to this before I picked a school and am still curious as to how people would rank the schools within the state. I'll keep what school am I to myself for now, so feel free to not hold back.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed my brief stay at Troy State University in Troy. If you are thinking about switching schools in that area ... I'd consider Florida State as their music program has been strong for years. Use to be a great Teacher in the area named Bean (Roy ?) ... alot of our players took lessons from him.

Rusty
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My relatives live all over, from Sand Mtn., to B'ham, to HVL. A cousin got his music degree at Auburn; loved it. Another cousin enjoyed Jax State. Currently, JSU also offers experience with Spirit, a fine drum corps.
Another cousin is now going to Northern AL on scholarship. Being around Florence/Muscle Shoals, it offers great programs for the music industry. FSU, as redhot mentions, is also strong in music, I hear.
Troy State has a great jazz band. Representing their marching band at a U of Cincinnati game in '99, the Troy Jazz Band ignored our UC band staff pleas to abide by league rules re when to play, causing us, the UC band, to be chewed out by the league officials. Myself, I loved it -- Troy Jazz cooks!
btw, years ago, the Auburn cuz, the Jax cuz and I all got Connstellation 36B's...coincidence, no consultation. My Northern AL cuz now plays one of those ol' Connstellations. (Not mine! I refused to sell and sent him to the Jax cuz. My Auburn cuz, a pro pianist now in HVL (see him at Jazz Factory), still cherishes his 36B.)

[ This Message was edited by: Cozy on 2002-01-19 14:24 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cozy,

Odd enough you mentioned Sand Mountain, my dad used to live in Albertville. I spent a little time up there....something just doesn't feel right about the place. LOL. I actually considered JSU but when I entered college, I chose Samford b/c I was a history major but, now I'm music ed. Good program, just small and not thought about as much as the bigger schools. Much more individual attention. By the way, I noticed JSU has an ad on the Jobs page here advertising an opening for a trumpet instructor.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Universtiy of Georgia with Fred Mills formerly of the Canadian Brass? I would stay away from Florida State unless you are already a great player. I left there after two years because the teacher, who has a big reputation in ITG, didn't fix my embouchure or other problems. There were a lot of good players there, but I think they arrived at the school already quite developed. Also, grad students dominate the higher chairs in the ensembles, even if they are not as good as the undergrads. Also, you may want to check out Larry Black of the Atlanta Symphony. He was at Georgia State at one time, and I've great things about him. Good luck!
1B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: