• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

sore throat remedies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: sore throat remedies Reply with quote

Anyone have a quick cure? I've tried gargling with salt water and it helps for about 2 minutes. I've got Nutcracker all this week so I can't just take a break from playing, but it really is painful with this throat!
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chloroseptic spray is possibly one of the greatest inventions ever. It's gotten me through many bad throat weeks. Keep it in your case at all times, even if you're not sick. Believe me, there will be a time when it'll come in handy at random.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, have fun with The Nutcracker. I haven't done ballet anything in forever,.
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll pick up some Chloroseptic. I don't really like that numbing feeling, but it's better than being in pain. I love doing the Nutcracker. Some of my colleagues hate it, but they're Scrooges! It gets me in the spirit and I love the music!
Skip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest & Theraflu (sp) is soothing to the throat.
Tristan the man 2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, my mom told me to gargle with a little bit of hydrogen peroxide once, but she forgot to tell me to dilute it.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out and get some hot tea...something that's simple like green or black tea. Then, squeeze some fresh lemon juice in it, and add a tablespoon or two (depending on how sweet you like it) of honey to the mix. Enjoy it! It really helps to soothe a sore throat and is a nice refreshing drink in winter anyway.

Also, gargling warm salt water is a good thing to keep doing.

Chloraseptic (sp?) is good stuff for a quick fix...so are lots of the Halls Mentholyptus cough drops.

Get better! Have fun playing the Nutcracker! That is a pretty show!

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
...a quick fix...so are lots of the Halls Mentholyptus cough drops.

See, the only issue with that would be needing a fix mid-gig. You can't (completely effectively) have a cough drop in your mouth and play Chocolate, for example. When I've been forced to use chloraseptic (however it really is spelled), I seem to remember spraying it several times a night.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just getting over a sore throat myself. I was in such pain a few days ago and tried just about anything.... I even added some ground Cayenne Pepper to the warm salt water I was gargling. That seemed to help a little bit, but for the most part I ate a lot of ice cream, drank cold water, and sucked on Cepacol throat lozenges. Cepacol throat lozenges are great, they numb your throat.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman's friends cough drops
i swear by them
they're also sugar free if your REALLY in a pinch you can carefully suck on one whilst playing (dont even ask)
also, a tsp of olive oil in a 20 ounce water bottle (shake it everytime you sip) helps
also soothes and coats enough if you need to sing

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiskey.

Even if it doesn't heal your throat, you'll feel better.
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
Whiskey.

Even if it doesn't heal your throat, you'll feel better.

And so it shall be...

Amen.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three double whiskies
A triple vodka
A very large brandy
A small dark rum
Gargle with some creme de menthe

It won't help the throat, but you won't notice the soreness as much afterwards
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol puts a load on the system. Is a poison even in amounts low enough to create a significant analgesic effect. Got a hangover? Then you "overdosed" the night before.

When you are young the tolerance for use and abuse of alcoholic beverages is often high. After the age of thirty or forty every drinker loses some of his ability to imbibe large quantities without the "side effect" of feeling crappy the next day.

So one of the problems of drinking is that it helps the first night by loosening up your throat and decreasing pain. However the next day you are weaker from the hangover and may not feel like working at all.

Some people respond to that stress by continued drinking. The "Tail of the dog that bit me". We call these people "Irishmen" and this is very bad in long run.

Smell of booze on your breath? A sign of a possible drunk. Booking agents actually CHECK for this by SNIFFING your breath these days. Not kidding. I've seen it happen: An agent would walk up to the trombonist and insist to smell his breath! So the bands are drinking ginger ale these days. At least in the corporate sphere of music. And that is where most the good paying gigs are today.

Back in the 1970's most musicians in working bands were drunk 24/7. From the club owner on down to the drummer EVERYONE involved was a lush! Most of us grew out of it. Not today: You earn a reputation as a boozer and will find good gigs even harder to come by.

Now pain relief could be an essential matter if you were to lose a paying job because of your throat condition. If and only if this is the problem I recommend Vicodin 5mg to 7.5 mg but only by a doctor's prescription. It is a synthetic opiate pain killer.

And the problem with that is that various MD's have different rules regarding dispensing these meds...

Some are easy as pie. You can see the junkies line up outside the door in the morning. Others are tight as a son of a gun. The later group being concerned about ethics and stuff. These are probably the better doctors too.

Vicodin is USUALLY* less harmful than alcohol in the dosages that will reduce pain and make your situation more liveable. It can't be smelled on your breath either. However Vicodin is potentially habit forming: Some people live by it and develop high tolerances. Not good.

So keep it simple and ask your doctor for help.

I do not recommend buying any prescription drug off the streets. Asking for trouble. It is also ILLEGAL.

*Some people are intolerant to opiates or their synthetic derivatives. These folk could get a very negative reaction. So be careful: You want to finish the job. Not commit suicide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: