• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that's interested, there's a very good article on Wynton in the newest Downbeat written by the great Benny Golson. Mr. Golson contends that Wynton is a very underrated composer, and that people's opinions about him are too often formulated through either what the press says about him, their dislike of him personally, or simply because of jealousy.

Regardless, to be praised by someone like Benny Golson says a lot, to say the least!
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been home to get my Downbeat yet, but I agree that he's a way underrated composer. I just got the CD of "All Rise" a few weeks ago. The CD booklet really hits the nail on the head when it suggests that the work is a new big phenomenon among Orchestral music. What it is, for those who don't know, is a large-scale for orchestra, jazz ensemble and choir. The CD is with the LA Phil and LCJO. I don't remember offhand what the choir is. It's a very unique work that would come across very accessibly to pretty much anyone, it would seem. I recommend it highly.
John
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard "Blood on the Fields", "CITI Movement" and one of Marsalis' string quartets. While I think his composing is accessible and very aware of the ongoing crossovers and mutual influences of jazz, folk and classical musics, I have not been too impressed by his body of work to date.

Maybe his latest release marks a turning point for him as a composer, I dunno. Does this mean I'm biased or jealous? I wish I could play the trumpet as well as Wynton Marsalis can. I wish I had his ability and promotion. However, I would want to be a better improvisor and less close-minded about innovations in jazz.

I could think of better composers who can be considered Marsalis' peer. Kernis? Ades? Well, Marsalis got the Pulitzer Prize for "... Fields". My god, he got it for something that was so pretentious and derivative as that composition I wouldn't be surprised if he's drawing raves now, esp. if his composing ability has caught up to his promotion.

I am also not surprised that a writer in Downbeat is raving about Marsalis' work. Downbeat has been in Marsalis' corner for a while.

Before I'm slammed for slamming Wynton Marsalis, I want to point out that I have 11 of his albums and I have seen him live twice. My very first jazz record was "Think of One" and my first classical trumpet recording was his take on the Haydn, Hummel and L. Mozart. Despite this, I have cooled off to the guy over the years. There is a reason for it: HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS HIS OWN HYPE PROCLAIMS.

Well, at least he had someone other than that bigmouth charlatan Stanley Crouch singing his praises in the press. But Golson's comments came off as posturing for the valid criticism that should follow Marsalis' (or anybody's) efforts. Some people may like it.... other people's tastes may have already outgrown Marsalis' myopic (and some would say, racist) artistic vision.

Now we're being told that if we dont' like, it's because we have bought into the anti-Marsalis reactionary camp, or worse yet, because we're jealous. Sheesh.

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-12-15 01:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroMan on 2002-12-15 01:09 ]
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-14 21:09, brenter wrote:
For anyone that's interested, there's a very good article on Wynton in the newest Downbeat written by the great Benny Golson. Mr. Golson contends that Wynton is a very underrated composer, and that people's opinions about him are too often formulated through either what the press says about him, their dislike of him personally, or simply because of jealousy.

Regardless, to be praised by someone like Benny Golson says a lot, to say the least!

I read the article and agree. Wynton is an amazing composer. Hype or no...
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who won the best composer award (as well as best trumpet)?

Dave Douglas, that's who. Not bad winning in both categories...
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-17 12:28, pfrank wrote:
But who won the best composer award (as well as best trumpet)?

Dave Douglas, that's who. Not bad winning in both categories...

I guess Downbeat isn't a biased as we thought!!

Dave is a great player and composer too (though I can't get into all his stuff). I emailed him a trumpet question and he was nice enough to answer me. His suggestion worked too!!

When it comes to who is better, best, etc. - it's all opinion. Even when printed in a magazine. Mine is just as important as Downbeat's... as matter a fact, it means more to me.

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2002-12-17 12:35 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!
But it's weird: this must be the 1st time someone I like artistically AND technically won that kind of award. What's going on? Is the world about to end? I thought I had another ten years before that happens! (according to the Myans)
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<typing from my bomb shelter>

Actually, I think Dave won both last year as well (Witness). Can someone confirm?

I will admit to not caring for his composition and playing in the beginning (I came in mid stream) but I have since changed my stance. I went back and listened to his "Soul on Soul" album (my favorite). That kind of filled in some pieces for me and I'm digging what he's doing.

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2002-12-17 14:28 ]
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with some of what Benny Golson says in that article. I think some of the negativity towards Marsalis is just jealously. I read an article where Keith Jarret stated that Wynton sometimes sounds no better than a high school trumpeter playing jazz, and that he plays certain things very, very badly. Now, you can say that Wynton isn't the best jazz trumpeter ever, but to compare him to a high school level player? That's too bad, because I feel that Keith Jarret is one of the most gifted jazz musicians playing.

However, I would also say that Wynton, along with his sidekick Stanley Crouch, can dish out the negativity as well. They seem to have a definitian of what the perimeters of jazz are, and anything outside of these perimeters is open to scorn.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-12-17 20:20, brenter wrote:
I do agree with some of what Benny Golson says in that article. I think some of the negativity towards Marsalis is just jealously. I read an article where Keith Jarret stated that Wynton sometimes sounds no better than a high school trumpeter playing jazz, and that he plays certain things very, very badly. Now, you can say that Wynton isn't the best jazz trumpeter ever, but to compare him to a high school level player? That's too bad, because I feel that Keith Jarret is one of the most gifted jazz musicians playing.

However, I would also say that Wynton, along with his sidekick Stanley Crouch, can dish out the negativity as well. They seem to have a definitian of what the perimeters of jazz are, and anything outside of these perimeters is open to scorn.

I think Jarrett is one of those players who Marsalis and Crouch consider to be outside the acceptable perimeters. Some of the veteran players like Keith Jarrett who were keeping the jazz flame alive from the mid-70s through this very day have been swept under the rug by the Marsalis/Crouch camp. I would not be surprised if there was some bad blood there. There certainly has been battle lines drawn and no crossing over, because I have yet to see any of Marsalis' ex-proteges (or clique members) doing stuff with the guys who were seasoned by the chances and experiences made possible by Manfred Eicher and the innovative jazz scene over in Europe. I get the impression there is some tension there.

I highly *doubt* that Jarrett is jealous of Marsalis. I mean, come on, Jarrett is every bit the virtuouso, and was a child prodigy to boot. I also feel that Jarrett's approach to straight-ahead jazz is much more sophisticated, mature and sweeping than anything that Marsalis has allowed himself to achieve or display. Of course, Jarrett is nearly 20 years older than Marsalis. But everyone keeps telling me that Marsalis is this innovative genius, and that if I dare question it, I'm jealous....

Marsalis has a history of attacking and disparaging the veterans who don't fit into his little "vision". Sometimes he and Couch engage in a little revisionist history to try and justify the efforts of a veteran who didn't jibe at first with their vision. Did anyone read Crouch's column on Ornette Coleman in this month's JazzTimes. It made me gag.

Let's see Marsalis and Jarrett on stage together. Will that ever happen? I doubt it- Marsalis also has a history of ducking any opportunities to play with his PEERS. Guys like Marcus Roberts, Jeff Watts and Wycliff Gordon or anyone involved with the LCJO don't count; those guys were Marsalis' sidemen. They started their careers looking up to Marsalis. Some of them, like Eric Reed, aren't exactly happy with Wynton these days. If Marsalis is the genius everyone claims he is, then a certifiable proven genius like Jarrett would be his peer. Come on! That should be a gig to end all gigs! The Keith Jarrett Trio with special guest Wynton Marsalis. Hey, Kenny Wheeler was able to do it. Why not Wynton?

One can't argue that the KJT and Wynton don't have a compatible style. Between all of the former's albums on ECM since the late 70s and Marsalis' "Standard Time" series, they have covered the entire repertory of standards. Listen to both, and you'll see. Once you get over hearing how much fresher and inspiring the KJT's take on those tunes are, I think you would agree.....

To be fair, Jarrett's sh1t doesn't seem to stink in certain quarters too. Downbeat has give the KJT's last 3 releases 5 star ratings. I love those recordings to death, but 5 starts?! Wasn't that rating deserved for recordings that are destined to be classics? You mean everything that those guys have done are classics?!

I haven't been impressed with Jarrett's attempts at original art music composition either. But I must say, his stuff doesn't sound nearly as derivative as Wynton's.

To reiterate.... I doubt Jarrett is jealous of Wynton. Perhaps that slam would work on ham and eggers like me , but Keith Jarrett? No way.
brenter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroMan:

I don't think Keith Jarrett would be jealous of Wynton in the musical sense, but perhaps more in the financial or marketing sense. Wynton's been on the cover of Time magazine at least twice, probably more. He also probably gets more money than any other jazz musician. Another good example might be the Ken Burns 'Jazz' series, which could almost be titled 'Jazz According to Wynton Marsalis.' Overall, I can't help but to think there's some bitterness from KJT about this (and perhaps rightfully so.)

By the way, the Keith Jarrett Trio w/ Kenny Wheeler? I'd love to hear it. Another good guest would be Tom Harrell.
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Let's see Marsalis and Jarrett on stage together. Will that ever happen? I doubt it- Marsalis also has a history of ducking any opportunities to play with his PEERS. Guys like Marcus Roberts, Jeff Watts and Wycliff Gordon or anyone involved with the LCJO don't count; those guys were Marsalis' sidemen. They started their careers looking up to Marsalis. Some of them, like Eric Reed, aren't exactly happy with Wynton these days. If Marsalis is the genius everyone claims he is, then a certifiable proven genius like Jarrett would be his peer. Come on! That should be a gig to end all gigs! The Keith Jarrett Trio with special guest Wynton Marsalis. Hey, Kenny Wheeler was able to do it. Why not Wynton?

I can think of one album he was a guest on - Citizen Tain by Jeff Watts. I'm sure there are others...

Do you know for a fact that Wynton is "ducking opportunities" to play with his peers? With a schedule like his I don't think he has a lot of time on his hands. His priority is apparently his music and I don't think anyone can blame him for that. I don't think he is the only musician not to appear frequently as a guest on the albums of others so I don't see that as being a big deal. Heck, I haven't appeared on any of the albums of the guys in my band...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: