• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording Valves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Olds Recording Valves Reply with quote

I just got a 66 Olds Recording. It’s a great horn but the valves are really springy and take more force to press down. They move freely.

I’m thinking of getting Hetman #3 oil and maybe replacing the valve springs. If I replace the valve springs, what springs would give me easier, smoother valve action?
NMexfisher1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend giving the horn a thorough cleaning before you change anything. I always let my valves sit in a glass with a little bit of dawn dishwashing fluid and then scrub with a soft brush and rinse. Then, you may need to try a couple of different valve oils to find something that works well. Try to get your compression checked if you are able. A heavier oil won't help, I don't suspect. I had a 63 Recording that I sold a while back. Man, I wish I still had that horn. It needed a valve job but that would have been a good investment as far as I'm concerned. Those horns are getting harder to come by. You could also get heavier springs or just new springs. Those are cheap.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berp BioOil #3 is heavier than Hetman, could be better. Olds springs are still available through shops that have an account with Allied Supply.
https://yourbrass.com/
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could ask your local tech for springs. They usually have several spare sets lying around (the one I visted had a whole drawer), and they may be willing to let you try a few combinations to find what works best. And they may know a few other tricks to optimize your valves.

As for the oil, in my experience thicker oils tend to make the valves move slower, and while not much, will make them slightly tougher to press.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would go ahead and suggest—speaking as a trumpet player and as a technician—taking a quick look at my newly patented Bájoc Ergonomic Valve Guides. They serve as a good replacement for the OEM valve guides that may be "catching" or rubbing up against the piston spring barrel. Not to mention, they reduce some weight on the valve guide assembly when compared to the OEM valve guide setup.

When it comes to overall valve action, the EVGs promote smoother and more consistent valve action on every up and downstroke due to the design. They include:

• x2 brass, nickel-plated rings that hold a coated high-carbon steel spring in place;
• an ABS thermoplastic material guiding piece that resonates like a brass valve guide, is harder and more durable than soft nylon valve guides, and does not cause valve noise; and
• vertical alignment felts.

Many folks wanted me to offer the EVGs for Olds valves (old-style and new-style valve guides) because they were looking for a valve guide assembly upgrade. These are available and in stock on my website, which you can check out here:

https://bajocmusic.com/bajoc-ergonomic-valve-guides-evgs/

Feel free to reach out or ask questions if any and I would be happy to assist. Take care all!

Best regards,

Jacob Hoskins

I am driven to work generously in the service of others' musical creativity.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMexfisher1 wrote:
Man, I wish I still had that horn. It needed a valve job but that would have been a good investment as far as I'm concerned. Those horns are getting harder to come by.

There's 7 on EBay right now, along with 4 SRs. Centex brass has 3 listed. And I know a custom shop that has had one on their vintage wall since well before Covid with no takers. I cannot remember the last time they were this abundant in the market.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: