• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horns touted as "TRUE BACH"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connedbyselmer wrote:
I am so glad that ALL your horns are pre slimeway. since I have worked for selmer-VINCENT BACH for over 40 years there is a good chance I assembled one of your jewels. ENJOY

The Vincent Bach workers in Mt. Vernon tossed original tooling into the deep New York snow, to be discovered rusted when the snow cleared, upon learning that Selmer was moving the plant to Indiana and start up with their own workers, in their own factory, using their own newly created tooling.

Evidently, they were led to believe that nothing would change . . . INCLUDING their New York jobs . . . when Selmer bought the company. Less than three years later, they learned otherwise.

I feel your pain. They felt shafted by Mr. Bach, just as you feel shafted by Selmer. After all, only THEY could build Mr. Bach's horns to the level of the Mt. Vernon plant in their proud eyes.

Today? It's deja-vu all over again.

In the end, it's all about the money . . . who gets it, who doesn't, how to maintain quality while cutting costs . . . and how to remain competitive.

I'm so sorry you've been screwed. I really, really am. But, as a 40 year worker with few years left to work, I encourage you to cross back over and start making some money for yourself and your future retirement. After all . . . it's the only way you can get back at Selmer and actually "win" at all right now.

Yeah, I know my advice sucks, but sometimes life ain't fair and we must do what's best for our families and adapt to what life throws at us. I think right now of my friend Jerry in our hunting club. He fell out of a deer stand last November. Today he's paralized from the waist down and enduring months of painful therapy in a "catastrophic care" spinal hospital.

When I look at his problems, and what his family is going through I realize that at least we have our health! Jerry? He probably dreams of the days when he was a high-powered corporate comptroller and he was on top of the world.

Today? He rejoices with every slight improvement in his progress and probably hopes one day that he won't have to have someone clean himself up. He's faced his problems realistically, and is determined to play the hand he was dealt with vigor, dignity and rejoicing over what he CAN do! He's a real inspiriation to me.

I encourage you to do likewise! . . .

Get back to building the horns you are so skillful doing! Selmer isn't trying to screw you, they are just trying to survive like everyone else. You need to find a way to get on with your remaining productive years and do likewise.

Only when you do can you, your family, and those who buy your instruments, can benefit from the gifts you have!

Tough advice . . . for a guy who deserves better! Life ain't always fair . . . but it sure beats the alternative.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
connedbyselmer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice tom, I always respect your opinion.
It is ironic many years back our local union president fell asleep in his deer stand and fell also. Today he is still a paraplegic .
As Far as Steinway goes I am done working for that company forever ,and believe it or not i am really not all that bothered by them.I really enjoy bashing them for their imorall behavior and will continue to do it. Maybe we can run them out of the country like YAHAMA is doing to all their manufacturing facilities. Dirty little Dana and his buddy chairman of the board KYLE (COYOTE) KIRKLAND need to be exposed and drove offshore with all their chinese horns. And since us old workers have nothing better to do we would like to force them to sell Bach AND LET IT GO private again or just run them out of the country
By the way for, old illiterate factory workers we seem to be doing a pretty good job. Messina keeps making one ignorant management decision after another. His last one with the gutiar center, WWBW MAY COST THE LITTLE MAN $2,000,000 + in a lawsuit by WWBW, FOR RENEGING on the deal to buy them.We will be around to rub his nose in it if he looses. Went to court in SOUTH BEND last week at the bankruptcy hearing but the little parasite was not there. To bad cause I HEARD HE WAS IN TOWN.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I agree with you, it would be wonderful if Steinway/Selmer/whatever would sell off the Bach part of their business to some of the top horn makers in the plant, OR to some other people in the states 100% devoted to making Bach trumpets as good as they can be made . . . one at a time like in the custom-made days 50+ years ago.

Sure, Selmer made a great production line Bach for longer than Vincent Bach made custom Bachs and owned the company . . . but the handwriting is on the wall . . . the lucrative, high volume, student-focused horn business (both for basic and pro-type horns to be marketed to school kids will be swallowed by the Chinese communist government and all their slave laborers.

This will only leave the premium/custom horn market, which is incredibly small in relation to the student market, for top-notch horns to be appreciated and bought. Bach will HAVE to return to it's roots . . . the professional player market.

I really don't think the brand and it's reputation can survive being made in China, so there's really no reason for those guys to even carry the name forth over in the orient.

What is happening is a tragedy . . . and it will be compounded if they don't sell the Bach company off to serious American craftsmen.

Stay well!

T.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Chinese manufacturers do not use "slave labor." The Chinese middle class is larger than the entire population of the USA. The big problem is the Yuan/Dollar valuation is 10-to-1 when it should be about 8-to-10. The Chinese a slowly bringing currency parity, but it'll take five to ten years to get it done, one small step at a time. (Lest the entire world get thrown into a recession).

This is not to say that there's not a giant urban/rural disparity in China, where coastal cities are much, much richer than the internal "heartland". The jobs are mostly coastal, but spreading inland. The good ole USA had some of this same problem many years ago, but not so acutely because world economies did not move so quickly 200-years ago.

Interesting idea about the workers buying the US assembly plant. Heritage Guitars actually did this from Gibson in the 1980s when the owner moved production from Kalamazoo to Tennessee. Heritage now sells all the guitars they can make, with almost no advertising. The Heritage name still lacks the cache' of "Gibson", but they make wonderful guitars. I doubt that the "Bach" name could be purchased. If Steinway kept the Bach name and moved all production to China, then a new company still might could spring up in the old area.

Dave
Benge Loyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually post as UsedBits. But this thread is discussing EXACTLY what happened to the much beloved Benge trumpet. After all the purchasing/merging/takeover dust has settled, Benge has been demoted to that of a simple brand name. It no longer represents cutting-edge design, sound, and playability.

Today's "Benge" trumpet is now just another student-line trumpet with brand recognition. That appears to be the direction Bach has now taken. Ultimately, trumpets sold under the Bach brand name will have little, if any resemblence to its namesake.

This appears to be the normal course of action these days. It is understandable.

What is not acceptable is the raiding of funds designated for employee benefits and retirement. While apparantly legal to raid these funds in a takeover situation, it is utterly immoral. It breaks a trust between employer and worker.

I agree with ConnedBySelmer's angst, anguish, and anger. But I would prefer to see these replaced with his previously demonstrated aptitude, ambition, and (positive) attitude.

ConnedBySelmer, if you want to break the company, do it from within. Tom's advice is sound - kill 'em with kindness. Get on the agenda for the next stockholder's meeting. Petetion the company with motions to counter ill-thought-out management decisions. Sell the idea that the current direction, while seeminsly a reduced-risk path, will cost the company money in the long term. Convince the stakeholders that any short-term gains enjoyed from the proposed changes will be far outweighed by the long-term adverse consequences of these proposals.

Have the union study the declining fortunes of the veneral Benge trumpet line. The outline goes something like this:
1. It made a name for itself with consistant quality
2. It survived for many years as a small business
3. It made money (briefly) after the series of take-overs began
4. It quickly lost its reputation with poor quality and worse customer care
5. It is no longer a profitable 'line' (but retains brand recognition)

Regards,
Steve
Benge Bb 5x ml #8162 Burbank 1969 gold
Benge C 2c+ mlp #7481 Burbank 1968 silver
Benge D/Eb ml #6579 Burbank 1965 raw brass
Benge Flugel 5 ml #17708 Los Angeles silver
Stomvi piccolo, m1
Boston 3 star NE Plus Ultra (1912)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: