• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CG3 Alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently changed from a Bach 3C to a CG3 (Kanstul Model). Since swapping, my range from High C to High F has become stronger and I am now hitting a Double G, which I have never been able to do before. However, my tone, even in the lower register, is thin and brittle. I do not have the same full, broad sound that I had with the Bach. Does anyone know of ways that I can counteract this? Also, does anyone know of another piece with a rim like the CG3 yet will allow me to get the same broad tone like I used to?

Thanks.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mpc line is based off the old Benge CG7. The rim is slightly flatter than the Kanstul CG3 which I don't really care for. I never played a Benge CG3 that feels like the Kanstul and it's supposed to be a copy. There are more posts under mouthpieces and you can read more at my site.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct in assuming that the throat is larger on the CG3? If so, could it just a be a question of me not compensating for this with my air? It definately feels larger.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larger than a Bach 3C? Yes. I think the Bach has a 27 throat and the CG has 22.

"If so, could it just a be a question of me not compensating for this with my air?"

Well, you are in the CG forum here and that may be a bit too analytical. After all, aren't all changes in trumpet playing related to "air compensation"? (A nice phrase, I might add!)

The 3C and CG3 are very different mpcs. I don't think that the 3 on the CG is meant to correlate to the Bach 3. The 3C is a larger inner diameter.
Once again the CG3 is a copy of the old Benge CG3 which was part of Claude's line in the late '70's. These mpc's were wildly inconsistant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, you are in the CG forum here and that may be a bit too analytical.

Eric,

I've spent the past year studying with a Chicago style teacher. Everything we did was related to air somehow. I guess that's how I think of everything now.

I've just started going through the Systematic Approach. I really love the way it sets everything out for you. No more randomly guessing about different excercises I can pull out of many books. Anyway, I'm on lesson two right now. When I practice today, I'm really going to focus on my tone and might go back to lesson one and work on those long tones some more.

pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I found out about Pattie's CG website, I was looking for a replacement for my ancient battered CG 3. Bought in 1976. Mine had CG 3 "s" printed on it and I had thought the "s" was for shallow...turns out it meant "standard" as in standard shank...there were more reciever widths back in the old days.

The closest match I could find was Stork. The Vaccianno series has a narrow rim like the CG, I've used 3C+23c (for a small bore horn, the "c" is a larger backbore) and 4C25 (for a lg. bore horn) (opened by Osman Music) It's close...in rim...but sound is another thing...The Storks have more V shaped cups, and are brighter (for me).
The next closest was the Stomvi mps, although the rim on the Stomvi 3C (26 opening) I have is a bit wider than the CG3. But it's narrow and round. The Schilke 14C2 was close too. Deeper cup, though and more work. I played that before I found the Storks.
There is probably a Warburton combination that would come close...

The CG 3 has a 23 drill opening (Much bigger than a Bach's 27) matched with a med.shallow cup and a Schmidt (rather open) backbore. The thing I liked about it was the easy upper register and the ability to make a warm/dark/mellow sound if backed off of.

In your case, if you stick with it, I think that you just have to get used to the blow of the CG3...a warm tone will be achieved once you get used to filling the mp up with air and then relaxing in the right way.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-12-30 10:27 ]
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22+ year old Benge CG3 - the closest rim to it that I have is the Schilke 16 though I think it is a little smaller. The Schilke 17 feels flatter. You might try a Warburton 3 or 4 series with the "anchor grip" rim or one of the Curry 600 series rims - perhaps the '60. If you like the 600 series rims, you could have one put on a regular Curry mouthpiece - he has a variety of cups and backbores. The easiest compromise would be to just put a Curry Mega-sleeve on the CG3. I tried it and it gave a sound as good as a Bach 5B and close to a Bach 3B though it did increase the perceived resistance a little. If you can adjust to a slightly smaller mouthpiece, give Eric's mouthpieces a try. The rim feels a lot like a Bach 3B (which is more rounded than the 3C) even though it is actually smaller. They have a sound equal to Bach 5B and 3Bs in the lower and mid register (depending on the model). Eric's mouthpieces really shine in the register from g above the staff to f above high c where it seems that they require no extra effort to play. (All of my Bachs suffer from increasing resistance as I go up from g.) While you notice it right off - it takes a week or two to really appreciate them and start getting your desired tone quality - just like Eric told me. Oh - CGers - you really should post a reminder in the "mouthpiece" forum when you have an ongoing discussion on the CG mouthpieces .

[ This Message was edited by: Andy Cooper on 2003-01-05 22:13 ]
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if all else fails in searching, you can probably get the CG rim threaded to go on a mothpiece underpart you like better. I know a bunch of people who've gotten work like this done, and they love the comfort of the finished product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: