• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

jazz phrasing/articulation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: jazz phrasing/articulation? Reply with quote

Hello,

In a long 8note run, how does the great players (like chet and miles) articulate? My teacher told me that the usual way to phrase was to tounge the upbeats (the second 8note, forth 8note, and so on). I dont doubt that what he is saying is right, but I am having a hard time getting it together. My tounge either come in to hard, or my 8notes start to "swing" to much. I want my 8notes to be close to even eights as possible.
phna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on Ready for Freddie and found out that he almost always starts his phrases on an upbeat (8note). That means that there is truth to what I am saying right? I feel a whole new era is opening up for me.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good. Copy that sound.
the buzz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following to free up your swing eighths: Take any scale or arpeggio pattern and play the downbeats @ ppp and the upbeats @ fff while maintaining the air flow thru the entire excercise. Advice in previous post is accurate! You Gotta keep on listening to the masters!
"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins."
Dizzy Gillespie
ASB1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your supposed to swing, why would you want even 8th notes?
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fast 8th note runs in modern jazz are straight, not swung (is that a word???).

My advice is to listen to and copy the guys you like.

A good resourse is John McNeil's "Art of Jazz Trumpet" book. He has lots of great exercises for practicing off-beat tonguing. However, you can do it with an exercise or just while running scales.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that a lot of students clip off the slurred notes a little too much in a series of "tongue-slur, tongue-slur, tongue-slur" lines... when players clip off the note that's where it begins to sound "dated" IMO.

Trying to make the slurred notes full value that would greatly help the smoothness of the line throughout.

McNeil's book and also playing bop tunes (emulating someone like Fats Navarro for instance on "Anthropology") will also help better connect the tongue and fingering issues.

I think there was a long post on this similar issue a year ago here. Run a TM search and dig into the archives for more tasty tidbits.

Regards,

Trent
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
ASB1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know fast songs arent swung as hard as slow ones...but they arente completely straight unless you play fox hunt or something that fast...
phna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
I find that a lot of students clip off the slurred notes a little too much in a series of "tongue-slur, tongue-slur, tongue-slur" lines... when players clip off the note that's where it begins to sound "dated" IMO.

Trying to make the slurred notes full value that would greatly help the smoothness of the line throughout.

Thats sounds like a great advice. Any further advices regarding d-tounging and t-tounging? My teacher told the only difference between legato tounging and staccato is the tounge stopping the air or not. What other advices do you have? I work on staccato tounging on triads and sequences in all keys. Obviousley, playing in all keys, i'm not able to really speed up and "drill" only the tounge. I've recently started to do fast single tounging on single notes, 10 minutes a day. I've added this to my three hour practice schedule. Will it help? I want my tounging to become sharp and clear.
phna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASB1 wrote:
I know fast songs arent swung as hard as slow ones...but they arente completely straight unless you play fox hunt or something that fast...

I think alot of the swing feel comes from the overall phrasing, and articulation, not so much the notes been swung or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: