• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To those of you who attacked me in E-mail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildCat --

The issue here isn't whether or not the contest is part of Eclipse's marketing (I'm confident it is) or that the winner of the contest will receive public attention (of course the winner will be) or that the winner of the contest isn't a monster player (that wasn't part of the contest rules and Lara never made any claim to greatness).

To my mind at least, the issue is this statement by the original poster:
RMTrumpet124 wrote:
Secondly the Company's ethics are questionable. They've roped in a poster child, Lara. She'll get a ride into any school she wants now, it's great for her, but i'm just not impressed by her playing. Why not give free trumpets to the poor guys out there busting to make it inthe professional world. The guys who need a break.

Saying that someone's "ethics are questionable" is a serious accusation. RMTrumpet124 appears to be making this accusation strictly on the basis that he doesn't like choice of contest winner last year. IMO, the charge of questionable ethics is inappropriate and should be withdrawn, preferably with an apology.
RMTrumpet124

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why this requires an apology barring one thing. Sorry about your last name, every one already knows it...

Why would they use a High school student?

Point and case:
Ruben Simeo (14 years old?) and Fides Trumpets:
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your point?
I don't know about anything that came before your rant on this thread, but it seems to me that you are complaining about young people being "used" for marketing, when you believe pros, or those that will be arbitrarily decided upon as "almost pros" should have this benefit.
I make my living playing the trumpet. It's a very good living, from both an artistic and financial point of view. I have never asked for, or received anything free from a manufacturer. I have though, had the pleasure, and advantage of working with both a very fine mouthpiece manufacturer and a company that builds wonderful trumpets, making products that were suited to my needs, which I paid full price for, but which other people have also found helpful.
I think this is fair. I can afford to pay for the tools which enable me to make my living. Any break a student can get on something as expensive as a musical instrument is fine with me.
I know another trumpet manufacturer who was asked by one of the most famous trumpet soloists in the world today what he would have to pay for two piccolo trumpets. The maker said something like "The price of the trumpets is X." The soloist was put off a bit and said that he gets his instruments from Selmer and Schilke for free. The manufacturer answered that in order for him to give the instruments away to rich soloists he would have to charge more for them when students bought them. He preferred doing it the other way around.
I know this to have happened. I was there. I also believe that the trumpet maker was absolutely correct in his convictions.
Lara, you've done fine, and don't let others goad you into feeling angry. I find the original poster's remarks about you to be in incredibly poor taste, but you can't control what others think. Don't wait for an apology. It's not worth your time. Enjoy your trumpet, and expend your energy on things that are useful.

r.

P.S. One belated typo correction.

Last edited by tptfrbrains on Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: To those of you who attacked me in E-mail Reply with quote

Boyd - that is different; he is being used as a "featured artist".
Lara won a contest, it is that simple.
If you want to see why she won the contest, do your research and visit Trumpetmaster - read her entry, see why she won.
Some of us do know Lara's second name, I would guess that there are more people on TH/TM that know her as Lara Silverstar, rather than knowing her actual surname.

Coming on to any internet forum and saying that you didn't get on with an instrument is fine, in my book. There are plenty of other people who are not so keen on Bach (me included), Yamaha, Schilke, everything (even Eclipse), but questioning the ethics of a company because they run a contest and the winner is a young lady is a VERY different matter.

Did you try an Eclipse before you purchased one?
If you went just on the reviews you read online you have just acquired some valuable information for the future - what works for some players may not work for everyone.
FOR MEthe Eclipse flugel I play is simply the finest flugel I have ever played, for someone else it quite possibly won't be (in fact, I know this to be true - a good friend prefers his Bach). The important words hiave been capitalised and put in bold, just to make it obvious - it is the right instrument FOR ME.
The Eclipse might not have been a great horn FOR YOU, but there is no reason to say that it might not be one for someone else. Personally I would be more inclined to take your words seriously if you had the common courtesy to include the fact that what you are saying is purely a personal opinion rather than the way you imply it is an established fact that Eclipse "is just not a great horn."
Do you want to be the one that tells some of their Eclipse Artists about this?
There are players on there who, quite frankly, are some of the best you are going to find, who have decided that the Eclipse works FOR THEMin what they do. You don't see any of them saying that those instruments are the only ones anyone else should buy, but they do say that the Eclipse range works FOR THEM.

If you seriously think that Lara will "get a ride into any school she wants now" you have a lot to learn about the school entry system. It doesn't matter what instrument is being held in a student's hand, it is what comes out of the end that matters.

A word of advice, next time you read some reviews online, take the time and effort to try an instrument BEFORE you buy. If you don't do this, don't feel that you are then justified in complaining that it doesn't meet your expectations.
There is no brand that is perfect for everyone, regardless of price and hype. Find one that works FOR YOUand play it.

For me, it is your ethics that are dubious, not those of Leigh and Eclipse.
MFMeow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildCat wrote:
This isn't meant to be a sexist statement, but female trumpet players always gain notoriety at a rapid rate, no matter their playing skill. I'm sure a lot of people can think back to middle or high school, and remember how many of the male trumpet players though the chick with a horn was cute. If someone female is a legitimately good player (Susan Slaughter, Ingrid Jensen, etc.) it's a definite plus, but in some cases in a world powered by sexual drive, it's not always a total necessity.

In my experience, being a female trumpet player goes both ways. Were there times (in my youth - haha) that I got attention for being a cute blonde girl trumpet player? Sure. But there were just as many times when I had to work twice as hard as the guys to prove that a girl really could play the trumpet. A lot of male trumpet players were openly hostile towards females who attempted to set foot into the hallowed domain of the male trumpet "stud". (That might not be the right word, but hopefully you get my drift.) Half the guys in the section would be hitting on me, and the other half would either completely ignore me, or be openly rude. I can't tell you how many times I wished I could just morph into a boy when I was playing so the whole issue would just disappear.

That was 20-some years ago when I was a serious trumpet student/semi-professional weekend gig type person. These days I'm just another comeback player who doesn't get out of the house with the horn much, so maybe it's different now.

That being said, the aforementioned male trumpet "studs" are some of my favorite people ever and remain my closest friends today!

WildCat wrote:
I can actually think of a bunch of chick trumpet player I know who I think suck, for the amount of attention they're given. At the same time, I can think of a larger amount of male players who I feel the same way toward. Mathematically, the ratio is higher among the women. If anything, more women should play trumpet. If there was a larger pool to draw from, more wonderful players would emerge, and perhaps the trend of it sometimes being a modeling job might come to a halt over the next decade or so.

WildCat: We're on the same page here!

Lara: I understand your upset. Try not to let it get you down.

Kirsten
Dave H
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFMeow wrote:
A lot of male trumpet players were openly hostile towards females who attempted to set foot into the hallowed domain of the male trumpet "stud". (That might not be the right word, but hopefully you get my drift.)

Kirsten

It is absolutely the right word!
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ick

Last edited by richardwy on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
AYates
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave H wrote:
MFMeow wrote:
A lot of male trumpet players were openly hostile towards females who attempted to set foot into the hallowed domain of the male trumpet "stud". (That might not be the right word, but hopefully you get my drift.)

Kirsten

It is absolutely the right word!

And it is absolutely still the case. Hostility comes from all kinds of places and from people who don't know a player at all except that they have woman parts instead of man parts. College is a vacation compared to the working world one enters upon completing their studies. Hostility is an understatement when competing for jobs.
Dave H
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AYates wrote:

And it is absolutely still the case. Hostility comes from all kinds of places and from people who don't know a player at all except that they have woman parts instead of man parts. College is a vacation compared to the working world one enters upon completing their studies. Hostility is an understatement when competing for jobs.

That is a total shame. I would welcome anyone who can play well, regardless. I feel badly for the ladies who play trumpet. I teach 5th grade, and most years the girls blow the boys away! I know I have been schooled by many a female trumpeter, including my current teacher!

You'll get no hostility from me Alex...unless you try to steal my beer
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it just dawned on me that the reason this thread exists is because some over-zealous Eclipse patriots chose to vilify Boyd for giving a detailed description of a horn he was selling...at around 1/3 of it's street value, I might add.

Perhaps Boyd isn't the only one who should be apologizing here?...

Stirring the pot,

Paul
RMTrumpet124

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well paul has good sense (thanks for being a gentleman), but let's just let this post die. I'm to old to be fighting anyone, even on the internet.

I have my trusty axes on my side and I'll be going into the studio tomorrow morning happy as can be. The horn is sold, no harm done.

Boyd
AYates
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave H wrote:

You'll get no hostility from me Alex...unless you try to steal my beer
Now that is what I like to hear!

Posting what I did previously, I must also say this. It is the support, kindness, encouragement, and guidance of MEN like YOU that kept me afloat since I began this trumpet journey 28 years ago and why I am still standing. To those gentlemen friends and colleagues I say, "my deepest gratitude".
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AverageJoe wrote:
You know, it just dawned on me that the reason this thread exists is because some over-zealous Eclipse patriots chose to vilify Boyd for giving a detailed description of a horn he was selling...at around 1/3 of it's street value, I might add.

Perhaps Boyd isn't the only one who should be apologizing here?...

Stirring the pot,

Paul

Paul, the reason why this thread has continued is because Boyd's original post not only put personal details of another THer online (which is very much frowned upon) but also was justy a very bad post - claiming that a very well respected brand is not good - if he had had the common courtesy to say that it didn't work FOR HIM then I don't think anyone would have had a problem with what was written, it was the massive generalisation that annoyed a lot of people.

Manners cost nothing. Lack of manners can cost a reputation.
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Mike, plus let's not forget the emails sent to Boyd were done in PRIVATE. No one would have known that he had even gotten emails if he hadn't posted this thread. Boyd brought this "second wave" of public discourse upon himself.

His initial ad, in my opinion, where he sold a horn well below market value, was to make a point. To make a point like he did just seemed petty. It seemed to me he wanted this fight with the ad and then brought more venom into it by personalizing his attacks by starting a thread. He made a mistake and took it out on Eclipse and the horn. I essentially thought "wow, what a drama queen!" after the first ad.

There are going to be a lot of people who try Eclipse (or place your horn name here) that are going to say "it doesn't have that sound I'm looking for" or "it's just not the horn for me." That's fine, any horn player is going to deal with that or has already done that many times in their career. Yet in Boyd's case, is it the manufacturers fault that the horn didn't suit him? Did someone force him to buy the horn first without playing it? Did he take one look at Lara and think "my gosh! she's a babe, I've got to have that horn", somehow lured by a sorted marketing scheme by Eclipse? I think not.

Not one person on this forum owes Boyd an apology. Boyd made a mistake, didn't man-up and accept that he and he alone was responsible for the decision and he alone made a production out of selling a horn that otherwise would have gone unnoticed. If there were attacks about the ad and Eclipse they were doen in private.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't buy the horn at $1000. I thought it was a scam not someone wanting to "cut his nose off despite his face". He attacked good people and to some of us good friends on an open forum and now he wants to "just let this post die." Once again Boyd, you opened this up, take some responsibility and apologize, then it will die.

"Stirring the pot,"
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also saw the ad and did not believe it. IF the horn really did sell for 1k, I missed out on a great deal....

The horn, if it was a gold plated MR, was worth at least 4 grand, retail price. Why would someone take that much of a loss, knowing the horn would easily have sold for a lot more?

Something does not add up here.......
Dave H
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the reason this thread continued had little to do with Boyd's discussion of the trumpet. I was upset with his characterization of the company, which was based on erroneous information.
Leather TorpedoBag
Wiseman trumpet/flugel case
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm coming into this discussion kind of late, but thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have no problem with anyone liking or disliking any particular horn. For people to send Boyd emails villifying (spelling?) for disliking a particular horn and selling it is pretty poor. But for him to put down the ethics of Leigh's company for me is the problem. I've never seen Leigh touting Laura as an Eclipse representative. I frequent this site and TM and have never seen Leigh use Laura at all to sell a horn. Leigh gave me a horn as a second prize in the contest two years ago. The fact that for me it is a fine instrument really has nothing to do with this post. Leigh has never used me in any way to sell horns. I'm a 3rd rate hack player who got lucky. I would imagine the contest itself attracts a lot of attention for First Class Brass. Can't see where that is bad business. In my opinion, Leigh and company are really first class (brass).

Mike
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
Paul, the reason why this thread has continued is because Boyd's original post not only put personal details of another THer online (which is very much frowned upon) but also was justy a very bad post - claiming that a very well respected brand is not good - if he had had the common courtesy to say that it didn't work FOR HIM then I don't think anyone would have had a problem with what was written, it was the massive generalisation that annoyed a lot of people.

Manners cost nothing. Lack of manners can cost a reputation.

The whole "FOR HIM" thing is semantics and easily extrapolated. Boyd only has 5 posts...perhaps he's not quite up on what content is considered to be "taboo" around here? I'm just trying to see things through Boyd's eyes a little here...

I've seen Lara's last name both here and at TM before...maybe she didn't authorize those instances either, but the fact is that I knew her name long before this thread appeared, and I've never met her. Boyd obviously got it somewhere, so it makes sense that he would assume that it was not something off-limits. The mods took care of it, anyway.

This whole thing was set into motion when someone posted a thread about Boyd's ad -- questioning the legitimacy of a gold-plated Eclipse for $1000. A few replies chimed in bolstering the suspicion, and Boyd stepped in to politely identify himself and apologize for late responses to his ad.

Somewhere along the way, it got ugly. Maybe I'm alone, but I can empathize with Boyd defending himself in a fight he didn't start. He didn't name any of his attackers in the thread...all he did was attempt to answer them by stating his reasons for getting rid of the horn. Yes, some of those reasons/assumptions were off, but I've been trying to solicit others to quit their pursuit of being "right" and extend an olive branch rather than demand an apology/correction. By adding salve to the wound, we might get the apology without having to solicit it.

I've already spent too much time on this thread, and I'm inclined to drop it now. Everyone's to blame except themselves, anyway...

No longer stirring,

Paul

Last edited by AverageJoe on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "Boyd" wants to sell an Eclipse for 1k, that is his business. The problem came in when he questioned Eclipse's quality and ethics. The horn did not work FOR HIM. Not every horn works for everybody.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: