• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Has anyone heard Maynard Ferguson and His Big Bop Nouveau Ba

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet fro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to go see his show next saturday(the 18th) at Jazz Alley. I was wondering if anybody else has been to the gig yet. I'm really excited!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard him and the band a few years ago and it was one of the best shows I'd ever seen. Don't sit too close or your hair will fall out.

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Maynard at Jazz Alley a few years ago. It was a really really exciting show to see. Most of his band was fresh out of North Texas State. Come to think of it I think I liked the band better than I like maynard but you have to respect the guy for having had some high chops.
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Maynard has always had a great band every time I've seen him. He's a heck of a showman too, so his concerts are always pretty entertaining. Regardless of what people think of his playing, he's made quite a bit of waves in the trumpet community, and he's certainly among the most famous of our colleagues. It's always neat to see a "living legend."
John
Bulldog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Maynard about a month ago with the Big Bop Nouveau Band when they played in Kearny, Nebraska. They were very good, although I think Maynard played a little better when I saw him three years ago in Grand Island, Nebraska. He still plays very well, but he didn't play quite as much as he used to. I'm not sure but I think Maynard may have had a cold or something when I saw him last. He seemed to have trouble in catching his breath that night. Patrick Hession is his lead trumpet now and that guy can really hit the high notes! The soloist, Ernie Hammes, was one of the greatest "non-big name" trumpet players I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. He has a web page at http://www.erniehammes.com
Check out the Monette he plays.............
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boss at the Alley!!
"GET A TICKET....CAN I RIDE!!!

One of the last times he was here we had a horrific WTO INCIDENT unfold here in Seattle.

Folks stayed away from downtown and Jazz Alley was pretty vacant....but I hear from my trumpet bud (Pete Kirkman) who braved the scene though all the tear-gas and smoke took in Maynard and though the audience was meager for a couple of nights...They played like the place was packed.
Pete said the smell of tear gas sucked but it was worth the effort and to remember "NO PAIN...NO GAIN!"
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!! Didn't see this thread but posted my viewing/listening comments here:
Maynard in Tel Aviv

Liad Bar-EL
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 21:52, jhatpro wrote:
I heard him and the band a few years ago ............ Don't sit too close or your hair will fall out.

Jim

I'll see MF at the Alley on the 17th. My hair fell out a long time ago so I hope I'm safe Taking my son too, this ought to knock his socks off (hope he doesn't mind loosing some hair)

George
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Manard back in December (Portland, Maine) and he and the band were great! It was funny when my husband (a sax player) complained that the trumpets were too loud. I said "duhhh, it's a Mardard Feurgeson concert"! In addition to the wonderful band and individual soloist already mentioned on this thread, I was parlicularly moved by the shear joy and enthusiasn that Manard brings to the stage. He is truly one of the great performers of all time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: