• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Collegiate worth anything?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Holton Collegiate worth anything? Reply with quote

my dad's parents bought it brand new for him in the early 60's...is it worth anything?
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it in good shape?
How does it play?
I love my 1970's Collegiate.
Would you like to sell it?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay sellers sold eight Holton Collegiates between April 7th and April 21st at an average price of $61.00.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

structurally it's in Great shape! But it definately could use a relaquering. The valves are in great shape...my dad took great care of it......BUT when he was in jr high he dropped it on the edge of the bell....and sadly he took a pair of plyers and straightened it out... (he was afraid that grandpa might find out The funny part is.......for being in jr high, armed only with plyers....he did a great job...the bend on the edge of the bell wasn't major at all...in fact he had to show me where he took the plyers. I'll try to post the serial number tonight. I used it in my jr/sr high days....until I picked my Olds Studio (silver) excellent shape...for 120 dollars....in an old Amish antique store.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really worth much. Probably, better to you for sentimental value.

The "Super Collegiate" is another story ....

Yr fthfl Srvnt,
Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic but you guys seem to be knowledgeable about old Holtons. Back in High School (Mid 60's) I almost bought a Holton that had a bell that started out as lacquered brass and down near the seam there was about a 2 inch stretch of silver ending up with a copper bell. I liked the sound it gave but everyone else thought it looked like a carnival so I passed. What was that thing?
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skootchy wrote:
A little off topic but you guys seem to be knowledgeable about old Holtons. Back in High School (Mid 60's) I almost bought a Holton that had a bell that started out as lacquered brass and down near the seam there was about a 2 inch stretch of silver ending up with a copper bell. I liked the sound it gave but everyone else thought it looked like a carnival so I passed. What was that thing?

Super-Collegiate.

As you were still in high-school, clearly, you were not "ready" for that horn.

Yf fthfl Srvnt,
Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:

As you were still in high-school, clearly, you were not "ready" for that horn. Yf fthfl Srvnt, Robt

Could be, but I do remember that I really liked that horn as soon as I played it and I let myself get talked out of it by someone elses opinion. Lesson learned, that doesn't happen anymore. I have never seen one since, I guess no one has experimented with multi-metal bells since? Very few horns have made that kind of lasting impression on me.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.I was sorta "implying" that your tenure in high-school was not the "target market" for a Super-Collegiate.

I don't think they marketed (or made) a "Super-High School" .... .

I was "messin'" wif 'ya ....

Yr fthfl Srvnt,
Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh .......I knew that.
cleanhead77
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Collegiate Holtons come up on Ebay from time to time, both trumpets and cornets. Regular Collegiates have been produced in many forms over the past 70 years or so - from the old peashooters to the ones made in Japan. My favorite is the model made about 35 years ago with the elongated copper medalion on the tuning slide brace and the standard waterkeys. Dillon's has one like that for $150.00. They play very well and are suitable for pro work backup if it's not too heavy. I would rate them right up with the Olds Ambassador.
study888
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Holton Collegiate worth anything? Reply with quote

Hello Robert Rowe. You mentioned the Holton Super Collegiate was another story. Would you please for us that are not in the know. Tell us about the Super Collegiate and how they play. Quality of model etc. By not knowing. May have passed over one in a old pawn shop est. Could have bought for $20.00. Did buy a L.A. Ambassador trumpet ser#27668. for $20.00 while I was looking. Thanks for any info. you have to offer.
maj45

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have owned a Super Collegiate and didn't even know it! I bought it for $70 in about 1975 and played it through Jr. high and high school. It was relegated to my in-school practice and marching band horn when I got my Bach Strad in 1977. Several years ago, realizing I had no need of two horns, I donated the horn to the music program in the school district my sister taught music in--a not-so-wealthy district in SC. I sure hope the horn is still in use.

I was trying to be kind and repay the favor someone had done for me when I started playing by making a horn available at no charge. I may have given away more than I thought!

The valve casing was brass, the lead pipe, tuning slide and end of the bell were silver in color, and the rest of the crook and bell were copper color. I honestly don't remember the inscription on the bell. Perhaps it's best I don't.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Holton Collegiate worth anything? Reply with quote

study888 wrote:
Hello Robert Rowe. You mentioned the Holton Super Collegiate was another story. Would you please for us that are not in the know. Tell us about the Super Collegiate and how they play. Quality of model etc. By not knowing. May have passed over one in a old pawn shop est. Could have bought for $20.00. Did buy a L.A. Ambassador trumpet ser#27668. for $20.00 while I was looking. Thanks for any info. you have to offer.

Well ... not sure where to begin ... (?)

I might comment that I have no extreme loyalties to any one brand of horn. I have a "fondness" for a very special 1956 Conn Connstellation 28A, and a 1939 Martin Handcraft Committee. These two horns offer me the opportunity to play in almost any context I encounter, with great aplomb.

I'm not a fanatical "jazz-Bo", a classical / symphonic "kinda-guy", nor a studio / recording / commercial artist.

Seems as though everyone elevates most horns to some lofty status, if it qualifies as a fine jazz horn. You know -- "plays dark and smoky" -- that kind of description.

From time-to-time, we address the issue of which horns qualify as "poor man's Committees" ... or "pretenders to the Throne".

I have several Committees. I like them. I use them for applications other than strickly jazz.

Apparently, I carry some "creedence" around here (this Forum) .... OK -- I've "paid my dues". I've had the fine and rare privelege to have owned most horns we all discuss here. I examine each horn and evaluate it ... on many levels, and try to "qualify it" as to what I believe its strong points are ... and mention its short-comings.

OK -- enough. Just establishing my bona fides.

The Holton Super-Collegiate is one of those rare horns that approximate
some of those qualities we find in the Martin Committee. The examples I've played were of very fine build-quality. Not sure exactly when the production "peaked", as far as quality control ... might have been early-to-mid 1960s (?). Most likely, the earlier (1940s - 1950s) examples were best (?). I am not an "expert" on these horns, so don't "nail me" with serial-numbers, production variations, and such.

They strike me as quite a bargain in today's market. Also, I am not sure how well they "hold up" in the long-run. I suppose they did very well in their intended market (as per their appellation). Younger players may not always implement proper care and maintenance. Other "priorities" abound. Horns like Ambassadors offer great testimony in their legendary ability to "survive" all sorts of abuse and neglect. I suspect the tolerance built-in with these sort of horns allowed for more "ballpark" set-ups. I would love to "blue-print" a Holton Super-Collegiate -- do a super valve-alignment, gap regulation, etc.

I suppose the "bottom-line" is really up to the owner / player. Will the horn satisfy its intended requirement?

The Super-Collegiate probably will deliver lotsa satisfaction.

Yf fthfl Srvnt,
Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: