• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue Position For Pedals?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed recently that I use an extreme tongue arch in the pedal register, particularly Pedal C thru Pedal G. This seems counter intuitive. When I consciously work to keep the tongue near the bottom of my mouth, they're much harder to play, Should I simply be satisfied that they're sounding and not worry about how I'm doing it, or am I undermining my long-term progress?
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not a pure CG guy, I'd venture a guess that you are arching the tongue in an attempt to reach the lower notes, perhaps with your lips rolled too far out (an extreme pucker). Maybe you're tryng to push everything forward when you go down as low as you can, and the tongue follows? Arching your tongue will add tension, which is the antithesis of why we work pedals.

Claude's books include references to the (potential) problems with pedals -- along the lines of "do 'em right, or not at all!" That's why (I think) he has exercises which take you over a full range of pitch and motion, and follows the pedal work with high register stuff. Be careful that you aren't developing a different pedal and normal register embouchure. Another thing which may help is to think of slow, hot air, like fogging a mirror, as you descend into the lower register. A "hOH" kind of thing -- just say it, sans horn, trying to make the sound (pitch) you make from your mouth as low (in pitch) as possible. This'll help open up your throat as well as keep the tongue down.

HTH - Don
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I noticed recently that I use an extreme tongue arch in the pedal register, particularly Pedal C thru Pedal G. This seems counter intuitive. When I consciously work to keep the tongue near the bottom of my mouth, they're much harder to play, Should I simply be satisfied that they're sounding and not worry about how I'm doing it, or am I undermining my long-term progress?"

The tongue arch is normal for this pedal register. Don't work against it. This is what happens when you try to get these notes in tune and it is a natural thing.
These are what's called the "bad" pedals because they are so flat. You are using your tongue to focus your airstream and that's the whole purpose. Your tongue is finding the right position for the upper register so you are doing everything right. Let nature take it's course!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: