• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

F. Schmidt and Huttl trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guinness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: F. Schmidt and Huttl trumpets Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on these trumpets that are made in Germany? Thanks.
duaneking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F. Schmidt trumpets are from what I know, the "pro line" from Brook Mays Music stores. I have one of their C tpts. and it plays extremely well.
I have read on this site varying opinions on them...I originally bought mine because a) I was looking fo a C, b) it played very well when I tested it, and c) Brook Mays was having a "going out of business" sale and the horn was reduced in price from around 2K to $700.

I don't know anything about the Huttl.
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schmidt is a B&S Challenger I with a different leadpipe. I have one that I'm in the process of modifying. I've read on an old post here that the stock leadpipe is copied from a Selmer K-Modified leadpipe. Don't know if it's true, but it is a nice playing horn. A little bright and slots fairly tightly, but a good deal if you can pick one up used.

I can't tell you about the Huttles. The ones I've seen on ebay all look old and more like student models with no 1st or 3rd slide rings or saddles.

Bb - CarolBrass CTR-5205L-YLT-P
Cornet - CarolBrass CCR-6880-YLS-P
C - CarolBrass CTR-6262H-YSS-P-C
Flug - CarolBrass CFL-6200-RSS-L
Picc - CarolBrass CPC-7735F-YLS-P
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all the "search" of German "Trompetenforum" could tell me on Hüttl:

Ignaz Hüttl established in 1878 in Graslitz, Bohemia. Major Brass instrument builder; produced and exported thousands of mostly student-, band- and military band instruments all over the world. After Worldwar II (1939-1945) the company was forced to move to Germany to start all over again, without obtaining much of the previous success. Some instruments have been found dated from 1976.

Not much information, I'm afraid. Even in Germany this brand seems to be surrounded by fog.

On German eBay they usually sell for less than $100, i.e. IF they sell.....
http://cgi.ebay.at/Alte-Trompete-Made-by-Huettl-im-Originalkoffer_W0QQitemZ300099835113QQcategoryZ21586QQcmdZViewItem
(Sold for around $25)
This is a nicer one:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Jazz-Trompete-HUTTL-super-de-Luxe-mit-Koffer-u-Zubehoer_W0QQitemZ190078292082QQihZ009QQcategoryZ16214QQcmdZViewItem
(Sold for around $300)

Regards,
Maarten.

Edit: I found the first name of Hüttl and put the year of the firm's foundation one year later.

Last edited by Maarten van Weverwijk on Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hüttl trumpets are quite common on the vintage market in Sweden. From what I have understand they are good student and intermediate trumpets, often well worth the money, but they never made any "true" professional trumpet. With one exception, a model called "Silver Kolibrie" with sterling silver bell, really nice engravings etc. Said to be a really good player, but it is just rumours, I have not played it, just seen some pics and it sure looks nice!
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Hüttl:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Huettel-Trompete-gebraucht_W0QQitemZ150116815743QQihZ005QQcategoryZ16214QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MvW.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Huttl fanfare trumpet in Eb. The sound can kill a moose from a 1km. distance!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Tekni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to raise an old topic but I have a Hüttl Silver Colibri from year 69' and I simply love that instrument! I have tried many other expensive trumpets but always gone back to that.
That thing simply has ATTITUDE and that is something lacking from newer trumpets.
Also it is very heavy and is not especially light to play but the sound is lovely, at least I think so.
I can post a picture of it later
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a student model Huttl Trumpet (just to use as a "beater" horn, loan to students ect.) on E-Bay for $61.00.

It was made in Canada...has a warm / dark tone due to it's huge throat on the bell.

The throat is so big...my Harmon mute won't stay in the bell.

When I spoke to Chris Botti regarding why he thought his 1940 Martin Handcraft Committee sounded so warm / dark, he told me that the throat on the bell was so big that he had to add extra cork to his mutes just to keep them from falling out of the horn.

When I was at Bob Reeves, one of his employees proved that the throat on the bell is a real factor in producing a bright or warm sound.

They had (2) identical horns except for different throats.

(1) had a very small throat...the other had a HUGE almost "V" shaped throat.

Using my MP, I played them both and heard the difference for myself!

On another note regarding Huttls...Jason Harrelson told me he had one that sounded the darkest of many stock horns he has ever played.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
jessetjazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very old and dead thread, but the Huttl that J. Harrelson talked about, I believe I may have that very one .

If not that exact one , then at least a Huttl that back in the days when Harrelson only modified existing horns he made.

It's a gold plated "Barth" Huttl with heavy bracing. Its the heaviest horn I own and with fins on the bell and "lightning bolts" cut outs on the bracing, it almost looks laughable.

I bought it only because A) I can't see paying so much money (6K and up) , B) I do admire the "artistic" aspect of Jason with his out of the box designs. C) Owning what I know is the only one like it. He made similar ones but each is like a "collect them all" because they all differ. D) I can say I play a Harrelson. E) I figured anyone who'd make a crazy looking horn and pay to have it 24k gold plated even at pre 2005 prices is saying something to me.
Jason emailed back to say it "was " one of his "personal" horns

Why I am posting this?

My brass tech said " STAY AWAY" from Harrelson mods" and I passed on a horn that the eBay seller was listing for 2 years but he would not ship outside the US. He just became one of those "eBay" ass type sellers that, anyone who has purchased enough horns on eBay, will have dealt with, or some time in the future you will.
" I WILL NOT " type so he finally sold it at a much lower price all because he was too lazy to walk to the post office and fill out forms , lol.

OK back to topic ; IF I HAVE another opportunity to buy a Harrelson Mod ..I would snap it up as long as its within a reasonable price range.
But since I have one , and as much as I dislike reading posts on forums about "THE BEST horn I ever played! BLA BLA BLA BLA ....!!! " Only to read they just opened the box an hour before. How you can assess a horn with a half hour test drive? That just "buyers" glee talking , 3 months later its up on eBay.

Having owned this horn for several years;
I will say this ...OF all my horns ( maybe 90+) the Harrelson mod is the only horn I have that SLOTS in TUNE ( I never warm up, just play straight out of the case) and I can control all and any notes above double C. This is proven by myself and not from the mouth of a "Harrelson fanatic" spouting his sales pitch.
Only drawback it must weigh in at 4lbs, a killer to hold upright and it reaps havoc with my arthritic shoulders and I need to unlock my joints (painful) to put down.
I guess this is why that "heavy" horn look is / has been phased out of fashion.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has a chance to play a Hüttl Silver Colibri with the large nickel silver bell, play it. Great horn that can be had for around 200 bucks.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
jessetjazz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also since I opened the topic of eBay purchases in this day of very few hometown "brick and mortar" venues available.
Let's talk OK kids?

I guess having to buy 90 horns is the ratio you need to suffer to find a "keeper"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: