• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Everything but double c

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stumbled upon a problem recently in my range development. I have extended up to a double G which is clear and solid about 85 percent of the time, but I rarely miss it completely. Above that is a little more shaky, but still easy to play, however, I can't play a double C... I can play a B, and a D (which I usually hit) but the C is elusive. I have been working on slurs in the upper register, alternate fingerings and such but dont seem to be having any luck... any suggestions?
ps. I play on an old back 3c for concert, and a 42SV69 Bob Reeves for Lead, and a regular old Bach 37 Heavybell all the time. My sound is good otherwise and I feel strong throughout most every performance I play in the upper register, but I cannot for the life of me hit that double C....
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to TrumpetHerald, Jarrett!

Get Frank Minear's book and stick with it. You'll get there, especially if you observe his directions regarding resting between attempts. For details, search "minear" on this forum. There's tons of info. Good luck!

Jim

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2003-01-15 07:36 ]
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to finger the double C using 2-3, or any other combination...this can help you feel the note, and eventually you will be able to play it open....if you even prefer to do that.....different horns and players require different fingerings. Bob List, Baltimore
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a similar problem. For me it was A and sometimes b flat that would not lock in, and I would skip up to a dbl C. Alternate fingerings helped but not all the time. I have discovered that in order to muscle the horn (with the lips NOT the arm! ) and get it to sound the note, I needed to get just a bit stronger.
Sort of like if you try to weight lift a larger amount by using momentum to swing the weight, you are not really in control of it, you need to be a bit stronger before you can move the weight as you want to. As I have gotten a bit stronger I can force the horn to sound the note I want by using my chops. I started using 1/2 note octave slurs (mm=60) up and back, starting on C in the staff and going up chromatically. I used the recommendations mentioned on the Frank Minear posts and plan to buy the book soon. Also I try to reduce the arm pressure a just bit when trying to lock in those pesky boogers!
Good Luck!

[ This Message was edited by: CRJAZZMAN on 2003-01-16 22:38 ]
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going after it exclusively while you're completely fresh. At the beginning of the day.

Try playing some arppegios up to it while playing softly. An those octave slurs you mentioned.

If you're open minded try moving the lips a fraction of an inch closer together.

Talk to Pops.
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to take a break and ill be back on the horn tomorrow, thanks for the advice I've been trying the Alt. Fingerings and with practicing that, all my range up to double B is rock solid and playable so when I get back on it Ill practice some half step slurs, if Pops has input it's always welcome!
-J
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice...I kind of have the same problem with double f-sharp sometimes...I could get the G but the F# wouldn't come out...I was thinking of asking that question until I saw this.
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerrett, I think it's your horn. I think you need to sell it to me....
(inside joke)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: