• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jimmy Maxwell Recordings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations? I would like to purchase several recordings with him on it. I have heard that he was a great lead player.

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janell,

I just typed in a search on AOL: Jimmy Maxwell. You'll find a long list of things. Here's a paragraph of info:
b. 9 January 1917, Stockton, California, USA. After extensive studies in all aspects of brass playing, Maxwell established himself as a major-league trumpet player. Among his first professional engagements was one in the early '30s with Gil Evans, who was raised in Maxwell's home town. By the end of the decade he had played in the trumpet sections of several leading dance and swing bands, including those of Jimmy Dorsey and Benny Goodman. His stint with Goodman lasted from 1939-43, when he joined CBS. During the 30 years this job lasted he found time to work with Woody Herman, Count Basie, Gerry Mulligan, Duke Ellington, Quincy Jones and others. Among his Ellington engagements was an informal appearance on stage at the famous Newport concert in 1956, when Willie Cook was late returning to the stand. In the '70s he played with the New York Jazz Repertory Company under Dick Hyman, with Lionel Hampton's All-Star Big Band and with Chuck Israels's National Jazz Ensemble. After Ellington's death, he also played in the band which continued for a while under Mercer Ellington. Since the late '70s, Maxwell has employed his early training and subsequent breadth of playing experience to good effect as a teacher. He has also published a trumpet manual.

Pete

[ This Message was edited by: Pete on 2003-01-18 10:45 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: