• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Silver Sonic & Silver Tone Cornets - difference?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody needs to get hold of John Lynch, send me a PM or an email, and I'll be glad to put you in touch with him. I feel like I've gotten a $5000.00 instrument for less than $500.00!

By the way, I read here on the TH Forum that the Silver Tone was pretty much the original Master except with a sterling silver bell. I bought (and sold) one that was a good horn (and yes, it looked very much like a King Master but with a different bell), but I never felt it played quite as easily (effortlessly) as this horn.

Rich
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a vintage horn replated years ago. I found that two things happened. First the tone brightened from the brass being thinner from the buffing and second a careless tech at Allied tore a small hole in the bell curve so it now has a small patch on the horn. Be careful when replating a horn you can do more damage than good.

[ This Message was edited by: Gilligan on 2004-05-04 22:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gilligan on 2004-05-06 22:58 ]
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 1900's Sears was selling a line of musical instruments called Silvertone. These instruments I believe were produced by Conn as the ones I have seen were almost identical to many of the old Pan American horns (Conn's student brand), and of about the same quality. The White company unknowlingly used the same name (stepping on a trademark name of Sears) and had to change the name to Silver Sonic when Sears threatened legal action.
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gilligan.

See. If you're patient, your question will eventually be answered on TrumpetHerald. The definitive answer to the question I posed in November 2001 finally arrived in May 2004.

I was going to ask the moderators how to turn off the notifications of responses on the thread I had started since it had long since wondered off in a different (albeit interesting) direction. I'm glad I didn't.

I guess I should also thank Rich for keeping the thread near the top and thus bringing it to Gilligan's attention. Great looking horn, by the way, Rich.
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
ohbob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilligan is correct. Sears actually used the "silvertone" name on several lines of products from instruments to TVs and record players. (remember record players?). Around 1950, Sears got snotty with King about using the name and threatened litigation. King might have been able to win, if push came to shove, as they had been using the name for over 40 years, but Sears was the proverbial 800 pound gorilla and had deep legal pockets. The exact date of the change should be easy to calculate by serial number ranges. I have a 1952 "SilverSonic" 2B trombone (325xxx), so that was clearly after the change. There was no specification changes made in the horns themselves - a 2B Silvertone is exactly the same as a 2B SilverSonic.
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: King Master Cornet Reply with quote

I bought a 1945ish King Master Cornet on eBay for a steal (less than $50 with shipping). The slides were all frozen. Soaking took care of all but one and I think it's time for a pro on the third valve slide. Now, three questions-

1. That tuning system. I just got it freed up. Do you just dial it in? What is the purpose? Why was it deemed better? Can I easily take it apart to clean and lube?

2. I know, I have to play them and decide, but I think that for us younger players (I am 54, but a young comebacker not too strong), we don't know what potential there is on horns. A well designed beginner horn may sound better NOW but may be a dead end compared to a pro horn. The pro horn may not open up until the player has more to give to it. That's why the "just play 'em and pick one" philosphy doesn't always work.

3. As a language arts teacher, I have several students who want to buy a cornet from me for an only horn to replace a rental or a home/practice horn. Cool. If I end up picking between my LA Ambassador and King Master, what are the trade-offs? Am I really getting enough different from these particular horns to justify keeping both?

1963 Connstellation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: