• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two Burbanks on ebay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BengeBoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Two Burbanks on ebay Reply with quote

There are currently two Burbank trumpets on ebay, one has the 2nd valve slide pointing forward, the other has the 2nd valve slide pointing to the rear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3766338969

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3765451153

Can anyone who owns or has seen a Burbank explain this? The Burbanks are supposed to be Burbank Benge copies made by Kanstul, and all Benges have forward pointing slides (as far as I know).

Thanks,
Tim

Burbank Benge 3x
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Burbank very similar to the one in the second ad you mentioned with the second valve slide pointing towards the leadpipe, ala Bachs and most other Brands other than Benge and Calicchio. I believe mine was an intermediate model and would speculate this one is too. If I remember correctly the Burbank line of trumpets was as follows:

700 Beginner
900 Intermediate
* Pro

Notice too in the ad mentioned that the braces on the 3rd valve slide is not the typical Benge / Kanstul 1 piece solid brace . Mine was also like this one in that it had a two piece bell. Also, the pipe going from the tuning slide to the 3rd valve casing does not have the typical Benge extended knuckle joint (or whatever you call it).

My Burbank played well, but I ended up selling it. It played very similar to a Benge, both the sound and intonation. It seems that I only paid around $255 for it on Ebay - I guess people are going Benge crazy these days, even though mine wasn't in as good of cosmetic condition as this one appears. The valves and slides were what you what expect from LA Benge / Kanstul - they were great! Some day I would love to own another pre UMI-Benge / Burbank / Kanstul Chicago.

In addition to Benge copies, the Burbank Trumpet also made Calicchio copies. Note that this Burbank was made by the Burbank Trumpet Company, presumably when Donald Benge was still involved. The other horn actually has Kanstul's name on it, so I would speculate this was after Donald Benge got out of the picture, and I believe when Michael Thompson was marketing the horns . The other Burbank that hasn't been bid on yet appears to be the higher end model - note the Star with a number ( I think a 3) inside of it to represent a (previously known as Benge) 3. I have been watching this horn out of curiosity, but unfortunately my Christmas trumpet money has already been spent.

Regards,
WFUnix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: