• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Note to the Spelling and Grammar Purists

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: A Note to the Spelling and Grammar Purists Reply with quote

The Trumpet Herald experiences occasional bouts of grammar correction, spelling correction, and objections to Netspeak. Different people have chosen to do this at different times, so my comments here are meant to be general and not directed to any particular member of our community. I have participated in such behavior myself.

In my current job, my professional success is contingent upon the quality of my ideas, the quality of my graduate students’ ideas, and the clarity and effectiveness with which those ideas are expressed in written form; writing and editing are key elements of my job. It is from this viewpoint that I have a simple request for those who choose to use open forum posts on the Trumpet Herald to correct the grammar and spelling of others.

Please stop.

I have several reasons for making this request.

First, such corrections are rarely on-topic, especially in the context of a trumpet forum. Spelling and grammar corrections and comments are interruptions of an ongoing dialogue.

Second, public correction of someone else’s spelling or grammar is impolite behavior, at least according to the norms that prevailed during my upbringing. The subtext of such a suggestion is often that the person offering the correction is not interested in the content of the communication, only the form. In addition, public corrections have the potential to subject the person being corrected to public embarrassment. I suggest that if you absolutely must correct someone, a Private Message is a more appropriate way to offer that correction.

Third, if you choose to post a public correction, please be certain that your correction is properly written. By “properly written,” I mean that your correction uses correct grammar, standard spellings, standard punctuation, clear antecedents to pronouns, and so forth. If you are objecting to Netspeak, your post should not include emoticons (smilies), since emoticons are part of Netspeak. From time to time I amuse myself by completing a thorough editorial review of posts intended to correct the grammar in another post; the last time I did this, I found about ten corrections per post. I’ve chosen not to post these corrections for the reasons outlined above.

Fourth, whether you like it or not, Netspeak will be with us for a while. It is not, as has been suggested in another thread, part of the “’dumbing-down’ of America.” Rather, it is a shorthand technique that facilitates real-time discussions in a text-only environment; since the Trumpet Herald is an Internet forum, it is not surprising that we see some Netspeak. It is my experience that relatively little Netspeak creeps in to students’ writing at the college level. My students, at both the undergraduate and graduate level, use complete sentences, proper capitalization, and standard spellings in the writing they do for me. My experience indicates that the kids have no difficulty identifying situations in which a more standard writing style is required.

Thank you for reading and considering these comments.

Steve Thiel, PhD, PE
Research Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't consider emoticons netspeak.

And I think they can add visual cues that are missing from written communications. As such, I would like to see them used.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It sounds like your are talking about "Grammarians," just one of lots of specific forum-poster types described with words and drawings on the "Flame Warriors" site.

Here's a description and caricature of "Grammarian:"

Quote:
Grammarian usually has little to contribute to a discussion and possesses few effective weapons. To compensate, he will point out minor errors in spelling and grammar. Because of Grammarian's obvious weakness most Warriors ignore him.

FOR LOTS OF AMUSEMENT, CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE "CAST OF CHARECTERS HERE, called "FLAME WARRIORS".

I'll bet we'll all see ourself in one, or more of the cast of charecters!

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Enjoy!

Tom
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, Thiel ... NO. (I will not stop).

Deal with it.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to write in clear sentences, using correct grammar, without spelling errors. Occasionally a typo will get by, or I'll use slang, but I don't make a habit of using poor English. I sometimes step outside the accepted writing format, but this is a computer forum, not school. I have never corrected another poster's online grammar or spelling, because I feel it's rude. I do think, however, that the emoticons serve a useful purpose, as a substitute for voice inflections and facial expressions.

As an aside, don't you all hate it when people add ' before the "s" to form a plural?
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I always try to write in clear sentences, using correct grammar, without spelling errors. Occasionally a typo will get by, or I'll use slang, but I don't make a habit of using poor English. I sometimes step outside the accepted writing format, but this is a computer forum, not school. I have never corrected another poster's online grammar or spelling, because I feel it's rude. I do think, however, that the emoticons serve a useful purpose, as a substitute for voice inflections and facial expressions.

As an aside, don't you all hate it when people add ' before the "s" to form a plural?

Even worse ... "dangling participles".

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

I read your post, and stand somewhat chastised, but nonetheless, think there is a distinction that needs to be drawn between a mistake and an attitude. We all make mistakes - or at least I do - and I would agree that it's rude to correct them.

However, some of our younger members also have stated that it's okay for them to use unorthodox spelling, diction, punctuation and grammar because the readers can eventually figure out what was meant. Some have even said they are deliberately writing that way. I was taught that the reason we strive to write correctly is because it shows respect for our audiences. The extra minute I didn't spend means hundreds of readers have to spend that minute themselves, and my time is not hundreds of times more valuable than my readers' time.

I also think it's not entirely off-topic. There is very little difference between "the audience should be able to figure out what I meant, even though I misspelled words and didn't use punctuation" and "the audience should be able to figure out what I meant even though I played E's instead of F's and didn't follow the tempo markings or dynamics".

Tom
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom LeCompte wrote:
Steve-

I read your post, and stand somewhat chastised, but nonetheless, think there is a distinction that needs to be drawn between a mistake and an attitude. We all make mistakes - or at least I do - and I would agree that it's rude to correct them.

However, some of our younger members also have stated that it's okay for them to use unorthodox spelling, diction, punctuation and grammar because the readers can eventually figure out what was meant. Some have even said they are deliberately writing that way. I was taught that the reason we strive to write correctly is because it shows respect for our audiences. The extra minute I didn't spend means hundreds of readers have to spend that minute themselves, and my time is not hundreds of times more valuable than my readers' time.

I also think it's not entirely off-topic. There is very little difference between "the audience should be able to figure out what I meant, even though I misspelled words and didn't use punctuation" and "the audience should be able to figure out what I meant even though I played E's instead of F's and didn't follow the tempo markings or dynamics".

Tom

Nicely put ... and, on the mark, LeCompte. No need to feel chastised.

Continue to have the courage to stand for what you believe. I, for one, will support that position.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Oh, to be perfect!

It is clear from my own use of grammar that this will not happen!

Some of us lack the higher education that many of you have. We may to share things on TH, but we realize we don't make the grade.

As they say: "You can't make a purse from a sow's ear!"

Best wishes!

Lloyd
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper English is easier to read than idiosyncratic gobbly-gook.

My "oh no" meter doesn't go off if it's apparent someone is trying to make things easy on their audience.

I used to teach college English. Oh the stories I could tell.

I love the site that hosts the bit Tom Turner posted. I fear I might be that very fellow from time to time.

It depends on how you were brung up.

Last edited by richardwy on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:

Some of us lack the higher education that many of you have. We may to share things on TH, but we realize we don't make the grade.

As they say: "You can't make a purse from a sow's ear!"

Lloyd

Or ... my signature / "tag-line" at another horn-forum / website is:

" ... 'Ya cain't polish a turd !" -- ('ole Southern expression)

Lloyd --

At least try. 'Ya doesn't have to be perfect!

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Robert,

I keep contributing though I realize no one can "polish" it.

Best wishes!

Lloyd
goldenboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my teacher says the turd line all the time... i thought he made it up
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenboy3 wrote:

Let's watch it, goldenboy3 ....

There is a "shift key" (at the extreme left and extreme right of the main keyboard). It enables capitals. Please use it when posting here.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
goldenboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
goldenboy3 wrote:

Let's watch it, goldenboy3 ....

There is a "shift key" (at the extreme left and extreme right of the main keyboard). It enables capitals. Please use it when posting here.

Yogi Robt

OK ROBERT, I'LL REMEMBER THAT.

(I'm not stupid or anything, just when I am on the computer I'm too lazy to constantly press the Shift key every time I need a letter capitalized. It shouldn't really matter anyway we're on a Trumpet Forum, not a League of Scholars or something.)
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what a "main keyboard" is?
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(moved to another thread)

Last edited by TrpPro on Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I wonder what a "main keyboard" is?

The leftmost 2/3 of the entire keyboard, similiar to what is found on a typewriter (remember?). On the right-side, is a supplemental number pad, and "scroll", "insert", up / down-functions, etc.

Yogi Robt
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, then to be correct you should have said the main portion of the keyboard.

My keyboard is nothing like you describe, indeed many laptop keyboards aren't.

However, my secondary keyboard is like the one you describe.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Ah, then to be correct you should have said the main portion of the keyboard.

My keyboard is nothing like you describe, indeed many laptop keyboards aren't.

However, my secondary keyboard is like the one you describe.

A matter of semantics. Whichever way you prefer.

Something that has bothered me about this entire premise, as presented by the author of the post-topic ....

I am the one that identified the sloppy spelling, sentence syntax, absence of capitals and punctuation, and-so-on, as the "dumbing down of America".

If this is tolerated, those that allow it are deemed "enablers".

Another example of why our enemies make fun of us ....

Who's got your back?

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: