• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Note to the Spelling and Grammar Purists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and all along I thought you meant to type "theory"...

Dave
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
sherwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a lot like missing notes you didn't mean to hit .
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohanapecosh wrote:
Quote:
One can learn, correct?

Robt, you've badgered people about spelling, grammar and net speak before. In all seriousness, why would anyone acknowledge what you have to say when your own post are filled with improper usage of quotation marks and often misspelled words due to the misuse of hyphens? What's the difference between what you do and what you are asking others not to do? You have a very unique style of writing on this forum, it's not proper but we all get your drift. Why do you feel that everyone has to conform to what you want, whether its spelling or multiple posts about trumpets?

Hmmm ... let's see ... what's the analogy I'm looking for here ...?

"A gnat on an elephant's ass ...."

Naahhhh ....

Something a little more "direct", I suppose ....

You are irrelevant !

That ought to do it ....

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"A gnat on an elephant's ass ...."

If I'm a gnat it still makes you one huge ass...

Robt, you just don't get it do you? There are times you think you can treat people with utter disrespect, now that someone has come along that doesn't accept your abuse you call me irrelevant. Pretty convenient and a petty way to defend your argument... oh well, at least you've exposed your true colors... go post nicely little man.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: spell check Reply with quote

How about an electronic spell and grammar checker
Tyler Williams
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: spell check Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
How about an electronic spell and grammar checker
As long as we don't use Bill Gates's wonderful invention to the computer and great annoyance to the writing world, Microsoft Word.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now....fight nice boys!
Tyler Williams
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
Now, now....fight nice boys!
We would fight nice but you won't say "please"!
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A Note to the Spelling and Grammar Purists Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
The Trumpet Herald experiences occasional bouts of grammar correction, spelling correction, and objections to Netspeak. Different people have chosen to do this at different times, so my comments here are meant to be general and not directed to any particular member of our community. I have participated in such behavior myself.

In my current job, my professional success is contingent upon the quality of my ideas, the quality of my graduate students’ ideas, and the clarity and effectiveness with which those ideas are expressed in written form; writing and editing are key elements of my job. It is from this viewpoint that I have a simple request for those who choose to use open forum posts on the Trumpet Herald to correct the grammar and spelling of others.

Please stop.

I have several reasons for making this request.

First, such corrections are rarely on-topic, especially in the context of a trumpet forum. Spelling and grammar corrections and comments are interruptions of an ongoing dialogue.

Second, public correction of someone else’s spelling or grammar is impolite behavior, at least according to the norms that prevailed during my upbringing. The subtext of such a suggestion is often that the person offering the correction is not interested in the content of the communication, only the form. In addition, public corrections have the potential to subject the person being corrected to public embarrassment. I suggest that if you absolutely must correct someone, a Private Message is a more appropriate way to offer that correction.

Third, if you choose to post a public correction, please be certain that your correction is properly written. By “properly written,” I mean that your correction uses correct grammar, standard spellings, standard punctuation, clear antecedents to pronouns, and so forth. If you are objecting to Netspeak, your post should not include emoticons (smilies), since emoticons are part of Netspeak. From time to time I amuse myself by completing a thorough editorial review of posts intended to correct the grammar in another post; the last time I did this, I found about ten corrections per post. I’ve chosen not to post these corrections for the reasons outlined above.

Fourth, whether you like it or not, Netspeak will be with us for a while. It is not, as has been suggested in another thread, part of the “’dumbing-down’ of America.” Rather, it is a shorthand technique that facilitates real-time discussions in a text-only environment; since the Trumpet Herald is an Internet forum, it is not surprising that we see some Netspeak. It is my experience that relatively little Netspeak creeps in to students’ writing at the college level. My students, at both the undergraduate and graduate level, use complete sentences, proper capitalization, and standard spellings in the writing they do for me. My experience indicates that the kids have no difficulty identifying situations in which a more standard writing style is required.

Thank you for reading and considering these comments.

Steve Thiel, PhD, PE
Research Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering

Is it too much to ask of someone to CLEARLY type out his or her ideas in a fashion that actually communicates what is intented? With so many run-on sentences and so much incorrect punctuation, it becomes difficult to undersand some of the posts I read here. Most of the problem is not simply the incorrect use of punctuation, but the lack of it. How many times have we all read posts that nearly completely lack any punctuation at all? It is very difficult to follow any line of reasoning in those posts.

As far as "netspeak" goes - I honestly don't think that applies here. Sure, this in an internet forum; however, we do not read these posts in real time - this is not AIM, ICQ or a chat room, where netspeak is definitely to be expected because of the nature of the "conversation." Because of this, I think we all should be very aware of proper grammar usage and do as best we can.

Also, I have a keen interest in what I read here and anywhere else, or I wouldn't read it. I want to understand it. Poor grammar and punctuation are obstacles, and sometimes complete barriers, to having an intelligent interchange of ideas using the written word.

Vocal inflection is already missing. Why should we make it any more difficult?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A Note to the Spelling and Grammar Purists Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Is it too much to ask of someone to CLEARLY type out his or her ideas in a fashion that actually communicates what is intended?

No. Yet sadly, troglodytes abound.
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy and richardwy,

It is, of course, not too much to ask posters to type out their ideas clearly. Perhaps you didn't notice this post earlier in the thread, in which I note several downsides to using nonstandard grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

I did not start this thread to encourage poor writing. I started this thread because I was tired of seeing potentially useful trumpet-related threads go down in flames as a result of criticisms of poor writing.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those here (at TH) making little or no trumpet / horn-related posts?

Some relish nothing more than "The Lounge", "Reveille", as a platform to expound their views on everything other than horn-related topics and issues.

.... and not much, otherwise.

~ Namaste ....
Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
What about those here (at TH) making little or no trumpet / horn-related posts?

Some relish nothing more than "The Lounge", "Reveille", as a platform to expound their views on everything other than horn-related topics and issues.

.... and not much, otherwise.

~ Namaste ....
Yogi Robt

That doesn't bother me a bit. We can only observe what people post, not what they read; it's quite possible that some of the people who post primarily in the Lounge might well read everything posted in every forum.

I just prefer that the non-trumpet stuff be confined to the non-trumpet forums.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright ... I can go with that.

Sometimes, these posters do get involved with horn-related posts. It is usually apparent their experience, background, credibility, bona fides are woefully inadequate, in respect to offering substantive content.

Hopefully, they take horn playing seriously enough to do some "homework".

I suppose we must tolerate and endure them.

Such is life, 'eh?

~ Namaste ....
Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
Tpt_Guy and richardwy,

It is, of course, not too much to ask posters to type out their ideas clearly. Perhaps you didn't notice [url=http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?

I've kept up on them Steve. Couldn't resist saying what is so, and using troglodyte
dennett
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:

Even worse ... "dangling participles".

Yogi Robt

They are definitely something you shouldn't end a sentence with.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a funny image I found on another site. I used it once on this site, but the post was removed......

sherwood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: nice logo Reply with quote

heil speil . y iz thizz styl gowan ahn ?
Tyler Williams
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tHeM POstr up ThERe iss prity funnie. i liKEs iT. Y doo i haf too fase critisisM fOur mi spellig and gramer,
sherwood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: HAY MAHN Reply with quote

write ahn !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: