• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Personal web sites

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Personal web sites Reply with quote

This is a question for those who have a personal website that advertises their services for weddings, parties, etc. Do you get gigs soley based on the fact that you have a website? Do you have to advertise on other websites (wedding planning sites, etc.) or do the interested parties just do a search for "wedding trumpet" in your area and stumble across your site and hire you? Basically, I'm just wondering how effective these personal sites are in getting gigs, students, etc.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple contractors contact me based on my [sad, sad, sad] site, a few weddings pop up, and some offers to be in about 40 or 50 ska bands. I've had my site for about...maybe 2 years or so, I guess. Bare in mind though, I'm not first call for anything whatsoever, so I'm not going to get the connected attention that might come from the crowd I get to hang around.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have received gigs from people searching and finding my website.

Two quick tips: 1) use good keywords in the Meta Content tags section, and 2) get as many sites as you can to link to your site, thereby improving its placement in web search engines.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten gigs from my site as well!

L
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: $125-350 per Taps Gig. Reply with quote

loudog wrote:
I've gotten gigs from my site as well!

L

What's your site? I'd love to visit!

Having your own website is a wonderful way to connect with clients, share music, and use your creative potential as a musician.

If I can do it, you can too!

[url] http://WeddingTrumpeter.com[/ur]

[url] http://StopRod.com[/url]

WebMaster@TapsTrumpeter.com

Inviting Buglers/Trumpeters who would like to serve our vets, have a great attitude and are willing to provide Taps and other pieces for the families.

TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratualtions on your Masters!

I checked out your site. You've got a great start and are on your way to connecting with friends and clients.
Over time you can add more features as it evolves with your focus and direction as a trumpeter.

wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have landed a few gigs from mine as well. However, the vast majority of my work is from contractors and word of mouth.

http://www.neil-king.com
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get lots of students from my site. I need to make some recordings so maybe I can get some gigs from it as well.

Jason Pellett
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get gigs off of mine.

meta tags are key.
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten a bit of work via mine...nothing really too substantial though. I suppose it at least has paid for itself.
jjwadams

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bye

Last edited by jjwadams on Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
extromba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TapsTrumpeter:

In your list of the benefits to having your own web site, you forgot to include, "Being able to (allegedly) engage in unfair competition and trademark infringement without fear of legal consequences and then posting idiotic and non-sensical explanations for why you are engaging in such egregious behavior."

For those of you unsure of what I'm referring to, check out TapsTrumpeter's web site and then check out the site for Bugles Across America. Enough said.
John Kreese
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some people contact me, and challenge me to a fight to the death.

I was merely trying to recruit students.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extromba wrote:
TapsTrumpeter:

In your list of the benefits to having your own web site, you forgot to include, "Being able to (allegedly) engage in unfair competition and trademark infringement without fear of legal consequences and then posting idiotic and non-sensical explanations for why you are engaging in such egregious behavior."

For those of you unsure of what I'm referring to, check out TapsTrumpeter's web site and then check out the site for Bugles Across America. Enough said.

Been debated elsewhere. Mark's a great guy and business man. Leave him alone and don't hog the thread with slander. Do it elsewhere man.
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten any gigs through mine, but its only been up for a few months. I guess I should add some meta tags in the html then, eh?
trptcolin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meta tags are one element of getting your site to rank highly in search engines (like Google). There are lots of others, too --- search for "Search engine optimization" and you'll find lots more info. Of course, the site has to convince somebody to offer you a gig; it isn't enough just to get clicked on (I definitely need to get some audio clips and more content up on my site).
-Colin
extromba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

With all due respect, it has not been fairly debated elsewhere. Everytime we try to call Mr. Bacon on his egregious behavior, the folks at TH.com shut down the thread. I for one am not going to stop until he ceases such actions. The plain fact is that he is apparently attempting to trade off the goodwill of Bugles Across America by obtaining a confusingly similar web address and source indicator for his site.

I'm not the only person on this site to find his actions reprehensible. This is a matter of principal that all fellow trumpet players (and trumpet owners) should consider closely. In a nutshell, Mr. Bacon appears to be using a nearly identical domain name to drive traffic to his site and away from a legitimate site maintained by fellow trumpet players who are willing to give of their time freely to honor and respect the men and women who so selflessly gave their lives for our country. How much more offensive and disrespectful can one get than to use such tactics for commerical gain?

Hopefully, the folks here at TH.com will finally take this issue seriously.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said this before, and amsure I'll be repeating it. Mark is a good guy and is just making a buck.

I am an active duty Navy sailor. I play Taps all the time and have much respect for our deceased veterans and their familes.

I was a member of BAA and played for free when asked by BAA, until they kicked me out for supporting Mark. I also got paid to play Taps.

Most people on TH are amatuer trumpeters or students looking for community and advice. That is what this website is about. Helping each other out. It has NOTHING to do with playing for free. I support Mark 100%.

I say that as a civilian and as a member of our military.
TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Some thoughts Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
I have said this before, and amsure I'll be repeating it. Mark is a good guy and is just making a buck.

I am an active duty Navy sailor. I play Taps all the time and have much respect for our deceased veterans and their familes.

I was a member of BAA and played for free when asked by BAA, until they kicked me out for supporting Mark. I also got paid to play Taps.

Most people on TH are amatuer trumpeters or students looking for community and advice. That is what this website is about. Helping each other out. It has NOTHING to do with playing for free. I support Mark 100%.

I say that as a civilian and as a member of our military.

Joe,
Thanks for your support and service to our country. Don't worry about this guy too much. He's still sour grapes from losing an argument and overheating in another thread. Now he is just looking for someone to blame.

Sorry extrumpeter but misspelling a url is YOUR own fault. Not Joe's. Not mine. Not anyone elses. Blaming others for your own spelling mistakes will not improve your literacy. I suggest you purchase a dictionary and look up words you're confused about BEFORE typing them into a computor.
In short, learn to spell before you yell.

How about honoring veterans like Joe instead of always trying to pick a fight with people? Didn't you pledge to show respect and honor to veterans when you joined Tom Day's competitor site? If so I think you owe someone an apology.

Joe is a great guy and an excellent trumpeter and your disrespectful attitude towards him is an insult to all who serve our nation. He works hard to put bread on the table for his family and I respect his commitment to put duty and country first and create a better future for our nation.

Attacking any veteran for trying to provide a future for his children is a mean spirited and anti-family attitude. I hope you'll think more carefully in the future before creating fights with our veterans for supporting their familes.

Why don't you change your attitude to being respectful and friendly towards your fellow trumpeters and buglers instead of harboring bitterness, jealousy, and rage inside? I'm willing to bet that you'd actually feel better and maybe even make some friends in the process.
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:

Would you care to elaborate on what went down?
What did you do specifically that created a problem?
How do get kicked out? they take your name off the list?

I've also been wondering whether accepting payment for TAPS is against the rules for BAA members?

I have no problem personally charging money for playing TAPS, I work as a professional trumpet player and expect to be paid for my services. I also understand why people want to give their services freely in certain situations. I understand their motives and appreciate their willingness to play without compensation. I have also played several funerals and not taken money, I did it for the family and out of appreciation and respect.
-----------------------
As far as websites getting gigs or students - maybe. but mostly everything I get is word of mouth referrals. Nothing beats that. and there is definitely a network with musicians. I don't think that changed much in this area since before the internet. People that hire musicialns still care more about what other people say about you than what you say about yourself. The one guy around here with the best marketing materials is still the last to get hired because everyone that ever worked with him knows what he can and can't do.

Quote:
misspelling a url is YOUR own fault. Not Joe's. Not mine. Not anyone elses. Blaming others for your own spelling mistakes will not improve your literacy. I suggest you purchase a dictionary and look up words you're confused about BEFORE typing them into a computor.

Mark - that is just ignorant to play like that.
are we supposed to really believe there was no intention to confuse TapsTrumpeter with TapsBugler
or
BuglesAcrossAmerica with BuglersAcrossAmerica?
I have to agree with what seems to be general consensus that you are not looking good here.
Not that you care what i think . i don't really care about your opinion either but I see now why you and scifibri are good pals. made of the same cloth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: