• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Personal web sites

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
extromba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your business model FTee...however, you chose the wrong domain name. You should follow TapsTrumpeter's lead and pick something a little more catchy, like bachtrumpetz.com, chicagosymfony.org, fordmotorkompany.com or cocacolah.com.

Last edited by extromba on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extromba,

I'm glad you mentioned that. Now that I've learned that the law of trademarks doesn't apply to domain names or meta tags, I should be all set. In that light, maybe I should add budherseth.com, chicagosymphony.org, trumpetharold.com, etc.
extromba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Trumpet Harold?
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

extromba wrote:
Who's Trumpet Harold?

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4972
TapsTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

extromba wrote:
"Fairness"...you have the audacity to use the word fairness when you are engaging in activity to purposefully misdirect people away from the BAA web site to yours. That takes some real chutzbah.

Whatever your gripe is with BAA, that doesn't excuse your acts of infringement and unfair competition.

Although its clear to the majority of folks who do understand the difference between "Bugles" and "Buglers" some still don't get it and think that Buglers is attempting to imitate Bugles.

For those who still don't understand (like extromba), think for a minute folks. What's the difference between an instrument and a performer? Can you discern the critical difference?

Imagine that there was a site called AutosAcrossAmerica. Would you go there primarily to find information about automobiles or drivers?

TapsTrumpeter believes that the performing musician is more important and more worthy than the instrument itself, hence the names TapsTrumpeter and BuglersAcrossAmerica bring the right emphasis and recognition to the actual performing musicians who do the work.

The better question to ask is Why didn't Tom Day choose the site BuglersAcrossAmerica instead of BuglesAcrossAmerica? Buglers is clearly the better name if a musician's worth is higher than the instrument itself. If he thought (as has been alleged here and on other threads) that there would be spelling confusion, why didn't he simply buy both? He could have easily done so, but he deliberately chose not to.

Why? Sorry to tell you this, but he is fundamentally not interested in the individual musician. The performing musician simply has less status then the instrument itself so is not even mentioned in the url. Buglers and Trumpeters are used as revenue generating tools, work for free, and go home empty handed even though all other funeral service providers were fairly paid.

TapsTrumpeter recognizes the value and worth of every performing musician. That's why musicians at TapsTrumpeter get a personal listing AND have direct contact links to talk personally with families to plan music for the funeral service. The personal contact is meaningful and important to the families not only for Taps but also for offering special musical selections (such as hymns or patriotic songs) which create a more memorable and beautiful service should they chose it.

Why shouldn't veterans and their families be offered the higher standard of musical choices rather than the bare minimum? Shouldn't those who have gone out and given their best for our country also be offered the best (not the least) that we can give them?

TapsTrumpeter makes sure that not only that families are well served, but the individual musicians are also recognized and fairly compensated for their important service. TapsTrumpeter does not believe that musicians should not be last in the soup line or asking for hand outs due to lack of fair compensation for their musical services.
WebMaster@TapsTrumpeter.com

weeweetpt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.godaddy.com for only $8.95 you can gobble up any domain name you wish

wee

Rocking chair guys....Rocking Chair
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good try. Then why do you use these metatags? You have FOUR different variations of the name BUGLES ACROSS AMERICA (without the critical "R") >>>BuglesAcrossAmerica, Bugles Across America, taps bugler, bugles across america, buglesacrossamerica

We're really not that dumb. I doubt if anyone associated with BAA feels duped, even if someone is collecting a salary. IT MAKES PEOPLE FEEL GOOD TO GIVE .

Why isn't this site called trumpetersherald. Do you think Todd bought all possible confusing domain names with all the extensions to protect his site from people like you?
just a thought.

btw - your Georgia pro stated on about the second page of this thread that he prefers not to be associated with you due to your "marketing" . It's not really my business, but doesn't say much for you to keep this persons name on your site against his wishes.

I swore I had already made my last comments already on this subject. . I don't know why I waste my time. I hope BAA nails you in court.
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Response Reply with quote

TapsTrumpeter wrote:
extromba wrote:
"Fairness"...you have the audacity to use the word fairness when you are engaging in activity to purposefully misdirect people away from the BAA web site to yours. That takes some real chutzbah.

Whatever your gripe is with BAA, that doesn't excuse your acts of infringement and unfair competition.

Although its clear to the majority of folks who do understand the difference between "Bugles" and "Buglers" some still don't get it and think that Buglers is attempting to imitate Bugles.

For those who still don't understand (like extromba), think for a minute folks. What's the difference between an instrument and a performer? Can you discern the critical difference?

Imagine that there was a site called AutosAcrossAmerica. Would you go there primarily to find information about automobiles or drivers?

TapsTrumpeter believes that the performing musician is more important and more worthy than the instrument itself, hence the names TapsTrumpeter and BuglersAcrossAmerica bring the right emphasis and recognition to the actual performing musicians who do the work.

WebMaster@TapsTrumpeter.com

I've been following this thread, but not contributing, simply because others are doing such a good job at exposing such an obvious display of diversion and obfuscation. This one quote though, must be singled out as the lamest excuse up until now for the existence of a website, and the poorest rationale for its goals.
The author of the post, who is also the webmaster of the site, should be ashamed of himself.

r.
tapsbugler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TapsTrumpeter wrote:

What many volunteer buglers/trumpeters still have not yet figured out is that they are being used as mules by Tom Day's corporation. Really? Well look for yourself. All the revenue that comes into the corporate site is being retained by a select few people and is not being shared with those who actually DO the work of performing for our veterans. Why? They are hoping you won't notice or ask tough questions or demand transparency.

What revenue?
*Advertising revenue.
*Merchandise sales.
*Donations from Veterans families
*Honoraiums from families and other organizations
*Endowments

Isn't it interesting that the money handlers make the money disappear while the buglers are sent around to play for free? Should those who do the work to make an organization function be short-changed from the incoming revenue stream?

And again I ask for proof. Obviously you have seen the tax returns. Making accusations like this borders on slander. Their listing on the net (not from the the BAA site) shows less than 25K in revenue.

You, on the other hand, claim to have played for thousands of Veterans (from your Website) since the 1980s. Lets say you played for 100 funerals a year, charging the $350 (from your Website) you advertise. That would be $35,000 a year for 20 years. That’s $700,000 just for playing Taps. Wow. Get me on that gig!!!

Seriously, when is the last time you sounded Taps at a funeral? Is there anyone here who has played a funeral or memorial service booked from the tapstrumpeter site?

You have accused BAA of personally threatening you, bullying members of tapstrumpeter and financial irresponsibility. Maybe you should sue them. Let us all know when your case comes to court.

Pride goeth before a fall....

Jari Villanueva
www.tapsbugler.com
juilliardtpt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this case should go to "The People's Court". Judge Milian is awesome and she'd get to the bottom of this. I'm gonna TiVO it.

"When a fellow says it ain't the money but the principle of the thing, it's the money." ~ Artemus Ward
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juilliardtpt wrote:
I think this case should go to "The People's Court". Judge Milian is awesome and she'd get to the bottom of this. I'm gonna TiVO it.

"When a fellow says it ain't the money but the principle of the thing, it's the money." ~ Artemus Ward

Sometimes it is wise to stay out of things that other people take seriously. Without trying to be rude, you may be too young to have had any personal involvement in the things that are being so hotly discussed.
Learn patience and the maturity to stay away from the easy punchline in matters that may seem important to others, although you could care less.
This is about things that are very personal to some of us who were probably born before your time.

r.
jjwadams

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bye

Last edited by jjwadams on Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjwadams wrote:
Yeah, the internet's not for fun, you know.

This response doesn't even deserve an answer.

r.
jjwadams

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: mea culpa Reply with quote

bye

Last edited by jjwadams on Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veterans should be able to get a bona fide US soldier to play taps at their funerals.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
tapsbugler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westview1900 wrote:
Veterans should be able to get a bona fide US soldier to play taps at their funerals.

I don't think many can argue that. The problem is there are fewer military buglers today than 20 years ago. What is really lacking is a perfect system in place to get the many civilian volunteers and/or professionals hooked up with funerals that cannot be supported by the military. (Please don't tell me about BAA-I know all about them since I'm a long time member) Unfortunately many military and veteran organizations will rely on the digital bugle to take the place of a live player and in many cases not bother to try and contact a live musician. This goes against the letter and spirit of the DoD Directive issued a few years ago on military funeral protocol.

Sad state of affairs but with a changing attitude in Honor Guards to accept the Digital and many people not knowing the difference, who knows what the future holds. There are some states that are working to provide live players which is wonderful. It's just sad to see active duty/combat related funerals (you can find many of these on youtube) where they use the digital. Just ain't right......

Jari Villanueva
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to get run over by some, and applauded by others for this post. I have three policies when it comes to funerals:

1) I will only pay for payment for a normal funeral service inside a funeral home or at a church. I have been playing professionally since 1976. Music is how I make my living.

2) I will accept NO PAYMENT for a graveside playing of taps for a veteran or at a police funeral. Why? Because I am not a veteran, nor was I ever a policeman. I can never give back to those people or their families what they have given to me and other Americans through their services to our country.

3) There is a combination of the two: I will charge a military family for the inside service. That is usually paid to me through the funeral home. If I am paid for the graveside service (I’m the only one I know of in this area who does not charge for the graveside service) then I will reimburse the family for that portion of the fee. I include a simple note of thanks along with the check explaining how I feel about veterans and policeman.

3a) I will charge nothing if the person was killed in action. Those are the very hardest to play for, and that's for a reason. When a person is killed trying to make my world a better place for me and my family I consider them as giving their life for me. The least I can do is repay them by giving them 90-minutes of my time. In these situations I consider it an honor to be invited to play for a fallen hero.

By the way, I have attended more than my share of funerals and never once have I ever heard taps played poorly. I think in 99.9% of cases it takes a pretty special person to go out to a cemetery and play taps. I have done it at least 100 times and still get teary eyed when the military personnel do their ceremony.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
trumpetofthelord
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris I really liked the sample of your trumpet playing where you use the plunger, it sounded really great
dannac
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post ...... bandman322
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westview1900 wrote:
Some of us who do it were at one time "bona fide" soldiers (I was 82nd Abn) and now play Taps as a tribute to those who have served. Most of the funerals I now do are for WWII vets. They too were bona fide at one time, but now vets like me. I consider it an honor and do it as a member of a joint Legion/VFW Honor Guard . . . 15 years now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: