• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

10.5 c

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
will227457

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: 10.5 c Reply with quote

I recently picked up a mt vernon version of this mp. I normally play on a 3c, but I find the smaller one more comfortable and I have more endurance I have not lost any flexibility (not that I had much anyways) who else plays on this size piece and what are your impressions? I am considering a permanent switch
Felix c
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Im using A Bach 10 1/2 C from the 70's. It have 26 Throat and 76 backbore, Also I have a Large Letter Megatone. Both are very comfortable rims. I also was a 3c, 5c Player but looking for a better sound and endurance control following the advise of a local mouthpiece craftsman I move to 10.5. My sound were more lead but the endurance was not as desired. Well another friend here (maynard-46) sell this custom piece in like new condtion. At the hour he offers its I have email him to ask about and to confirm the purchase. This confguration help me to open the sound (for the 26 throat) an d the 76 backbore that help me to the intermediate and high register. I can play more and get more control of the air speed and blow. With the megatone I cant Do that. So this 26-76 is the best configuration I have found. I have try GR ( that its a Mercedes Benz of Mouthpiece) following the advise of Brian Scriver, Schilkes, another Bachs, Yamahas Marcinkiewickz, Curry (fine too). But this Custom 10.5 is the best for me. Since I use it I have never return to prevoius pieces. So your MV Bach will be a little bit smaller in cup than mine. For more details in comparison check the Kanstul Mouthpiece comparator. You can see the image of the cup of your 10.5 over the image of a New York or Modern Bach, or Schilke 9C4 that its some similar to 10.5.
Please go to www.kanstul.com and click on Mouthpiece Comparator.
Your piece is a gem If you can work with and get you are looking for keep there, but the downsizing have been a little bit fast, from 3c to 10.5
Thats my 2 cents respectfully
Felix
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

In my 46 years of playing the horn continuously, and at a pretty decent level, I've played 'em as large as a Bach 1A and as small as a Bach 12 or 17C.

I made the mistake of reading lots of written mouthpiece brouchere advice about mouthpieces and was thus steered away from the small sizes like the 10 1/2C.

In the late 60s I discovered the new Conn Connstellation mouthpieces and the 9CW worked so well I decided to go with that "piece." It was wider on the outside than a Bach 7, but the cup seemed a little smaller.

Luckily, the Conn numbering system had nothing to do with Bach numbers so I didn't simply pass over that wonderful mouthpiece and never give it a chance.

In '72 I bought a brand new Benge, and it came with an unnumbered Benge "Custom" mouthpiece. It felt even better than the Connstellation and I played it thoughout my tour of duty as an Army bandsman, then as a music major in college, and then beyond as a professional trumpeter for many years.

In the 90s I went huge and got a Warburton 2DD that felt and played soooo well. I used it, even when contracted as a lead player. In the late 90's I was back on the Connstellation again . . . full circle.

In 2000 a trumpet maker spec'ed my mouthpieces. The Connstellation 9CW had in inner rim size of .625. The Benge "Custom" had an inner rim size of .625. Guess what? So does the Bach 10 1/2C.

It turned out that the 10 1/2C mouthpieces were the perfect choice for my chops for soooo many years and I didn't know it!

I've now downsized slightly smaller to discover my "perfect" mouthpiece happens to be a Warburton 8M . . . a .620 inner diameter mouthpiece that's similar to the inner diameter of the Bach 12 and Bach 17 1/2C mouthpieces!!!

I'd have never known . . . nor would I have given these mouthpieces even a glance if I'd known they were on the "small" size.

I've learned that on mouthpieces, horns . . . all equipment, one would be much better if they never asked what the "specs" were and/or meant . . . and instead simply played equipment until their perfect fit was discovered.

Lots of folks are burdened down on equipment that's not the best fit for them.

Sure . . . we can do "pretty good" usually on most anything . . . for the specs really aren't THAT different between the ranges of small and large. But . . . when you finally discover your perfect equipment . . . life gets really good as a trumpet player.

I've made the "permanent switch" you are contemplating . . . and probably for the same reason as you . . .

Because it workds best for ME!

Good luck, and congratulations for keeping an open mind as you search through the BS and find what is right for YOU!

T.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Hi,

I've learned that on mouthpieces, horns . . . all equipment, one would be much better if they never asked what the "specs" were and/or meant . . . and instead simply played equipment until their perfect fit was discovered.

Lots of folks are burdened down on equipment that's not the best fit for them.

Sure . . . we can do "pretty good" usually on most anything . . . for the specs really aren't THAT different between the ranges of small and large. But . . . when you finally discover your perfect equipment . . . life gets really good as a trumpet player.

I've made the "permanent switch" you are contemplating . . . and probably for the same reason as you . . .

Because it workds best for ME!

Good luck, and congratulations for keeping an open mind as you search through the BS and find what is right for YOU!

T.

Tom, you really can vocalize this type of stuff quite well. I have to ask, though, is there really such a thing as a "permanent switch?" Do our physical characteristics change over time to such a degree that changing mps would be beneficial for us? I've wondered about these questions. I'm still trying different mps and have never had that elusive feeling that I've found the ultimate mp for me.

Stan
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been playing on mouthpieces in the 3C range my whole life. I had 'settled' on a GRe65MS and played on it for about four years. It was a great piece, but I still felt lacking. I had been working diligently in Caruso but was on a long plateau regarding range and endurance. In May I picked up a CG10. It's about the size you're talking, slighty smaller with a meatier rim and a 23 throat. It was an adjustment, but I find it gives me more support, better range and endurance. I'm working on flexibility and am confident that it will come. I don't think I sound much different than before either. FWIW. Good luck!
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tom, you really can vocalize this type of stuff quite well

I'm having trouble hearing him . . .
10.5C is a fine mpc - especially a MV. Many equate the rim size to a shoe size, so if it fits, go with it!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10.5 C is a just a bit smaller than I use now. But I'll echo the first and best lesson I learned here on TH: Whatever piece gives you the results you want is by definition the best. The notion that YES, it really is okay to play something smaller than a 3C, was incomprehensible among us so-called "legit" players when I was in college. And now that I think back, a lot of us had problems with range and endurance. Hard to think about making music when you're worrying about lasting until the end of the piece.
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
I've learned that on mouthpieces, horns, and all equipment, one would be much better if they never asked what the "specs" were and/or meant. And instead simply played equipment until their perfect fit was discovered.

Wow. Is that true. Well, at least it does give us something to talk about

chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing a MV 10 1/2 C last year and I really like the focused, dark, and cutting sound. It's really comfortable too.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the olden days, when there were guys like Arban, Clarke etc... that era, weren't the mouthpieces smaller in diameter anyway? I was at a museum and saw the equipment of the turn of the century cornetist. Besides the cookie cutter rim, the diameters looked to be in the 10.5 C range. What brought about the toilet bowl sizes? Clarke sounded awfully good on that little piece.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCool wrote:
Back in the olden days, when there were guys like Arban, Clarke etc... that era, weren't the mouthpieces smaller in diameter anyway? I was at a museum and saw the equipment of the turn of the century cornetist. Besides the cookie cutter rim, the diameters looked to be in the 10.5 C range. What brought about the toilet bowl sizes? Clarke sounded awfully good on that little piece.

I've heard that one reason for the hype about large diameter mouthpieces is that Bud Herseth of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra played a Bach 1 or something in that range. However he switched to this mpc AFTER the car accident that caused some scar tissue on his face and lips and the Bach 1 worked best for him. Apparently before the accident he was playing a Bach 7B.

Disclaimer-- this is just something I remember reading a long time ago. Someone else may know the facts better than I do.

Last edited by jadickson on Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Kateeba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, started out years ago on larger mouthpieces and when I bought my Lawler TL6 a few years ago, needed a change, and accidently tried a friends bach 10 1/2C and it clicked with me right away! I was amazed that it matched me so well and was so small. Since then, I have had Terry Warburton clone that rim and put it on one of his D cups, and recently I have had Karl Hammond clone it and put it on one of his ML cups. It was a great move for me to switch to tht bach . My endurance, range and flexibility all improved dramatically when I started with that bach, and I heard NO loss of volume or tone.

But that is just me. Everyone has their own size they need to find.

Lou
FLgargoyle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I've used a 10-1/2c for years (30?) and always found it to be a good size for me. I have a 5B Megatone that feels big, but works great on the low register stuff. I made my own mouthpiece when I was playing picc, a very small diameter (.575), but deepish cup. I've never been able to get a pretty sound out of a shallow cup. I always thought there was something wrong with me, because I prefer a small cup ( in mouthpieces).
'55 King Master Cornet
'40 Conn Aida Trumpet
'21 Boston Alto Horn
doublebrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did own one, the 10 1/2 C was my main piece that I played everything on (legit or commercial). I found it to be very comfortable with just the right sharpness in the rim.

Liz

-- from "The Shawshank Redemption"
Dick S
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another vote for the lowly 10 1/2 C
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who inspired me to want to play trumpet used a 10.5 C. Had a wonderfully clear, full, trumpet sound. Really good musician.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone from the 10.5C to 6, 6C, 5C and back to 10.5C. I use it on both my Bb and Picc. I agree with the assessments of it being under-rated.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Bach 10 1/2 c mp Reply with quote

Personally....I use large mp's. (Monette B-11/C-11 and Bach straight 1's Wick Roger Webster model for cornet playing)

However.....for piccolo playing I have never strayed from the Bach 10 1/2 c. For me it yields the best results.

Have tried other piccolo mp's such as Stork, Warburton and other brands but alway came back to the Bach 10 1/2 c.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
[/b]
mazzus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As had been said, the specifications of equipment are irrelevant. What matters is how comfortable it is and if you can sound like you want to on it.

-Kendall
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I too started on a Bach 10 1/2C and have been using a Yamaha 9C4 for the last few years. Works fine for me!
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: