• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The BUZZ about a "new" Reinhardt book?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: The BUZZ about a "new" Reinhardt book? Reply with quote

Yes, there's a "new" Reinhardt book getting ready to come out. It's going to be called "The Reinhardt Routines—a total embouchure development plan."

The idea to do this actually came from Chris LaBarbera (Mr.Hollywood), and Dave Sheetz and I put our heads together and actually did it.

Remember Reinhardt's instruction sheet about how to make the most out of his Manual? And remember the "Summer Routine" sheet? Well, combine all that with the contents of the Manual and you have the first half of this book; essentially it's the Manual the way Doc later wished he'd had it laid it out to begin with.

Dave and I also discussed some other Reinhardt routines that would be beneficial for anybody, regardless of whether or not they studied with Reinhardt, regardless of whether or not they know what type they are, regardless of whether or not they know what a pivot really is. And we included several of those.

Anyway, look for an announcement for this one day next week, Labor Day or shortly thereafter.

For all the guys who didn't get much out of the Encyclopedia because there are no written out exercises in it . . . this is the book they've all been waiting for!
crazyhorns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: new book Reply with quote

This is GREAT news.
I've been thinking very seriously about what I want to accomplish on the horn at this point in my career.. and how to reach those goals in an intelligent, systematic, and progressive manner. Pretty soon I'm going to have more time to shed during the day, and I'm coming up with a practice schedule for myself. (Of course the handouts I got from my session with Dave Sheetz are part of that plan.) This book will probably blow my prospective schedule out of wack, but all for the better.
Thanks Rich, Dave and Chris for makng this happen.
~Steve Hyde
IIIA

Last edited by crazyhorns on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Thats great news. There is a serious lack of Reinhardt material for advanced players who never actually studied with him.

I remember we were on the phone when it hit my like a ton of bricks.

Doc would always "personalize" our manual. So why not just print the routines the way Doc wanted us to do them in the first place.

I hope you are doing well. I'm Soooooo happy to be back in Florida. I've worked more the one month that I've been back than the whole year I was in NC.

Hows that valve trombone....???

Chris
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Dave showed me what you guys have so far and it looks great!!! I think this is going to make a wonderful addition to the library of a lot of plyaers. There is a LOT of stuff in there, with not only the manual but some other wonderful Reinhardt routines.

Rich Hnaks
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited already.

Chris
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here!

Go to this website and have a look.

Right now they're only available at www.boptism.com but they'll also be available through www.airstreamdynamics.com in a few days.
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up. I hope to grab a copy later this week if possible.

Chris
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I can't tell you how excited I am to finally be able to read the Pivot System Manual. Awesome.
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already ordered.

https://vectortrio.bandcamp.com/
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have started receiving their books today, and the comments so far have been extremely favorable.

Here's one that really made my day:
a satisfied customer wrote:
Hi Rich,

I just received my copy of the "Reinhardt Routines" . . . I placed my order on Tuesday and got the book today -- that is super service. My Teacher/Coach, Kent Foss is here with me and we are going through the book, and he is very impressed, as am I. Kent isn't easily impressed. He received his Masters degree from AZ State, studying under David Hickman, and is close to completing his Doctorate, also with David Hickman. I just wanted to let you know this is a wonderful study aide, and Kent is adding it to my daily routine. Thanks for putting this book into print, great job.

My mother-in-law died Monday morning after a 10-month bout with lung cancer, and through all the chaos and turmoil we've gone through during this upside-down week I've made a couple mistakes filling some orders. My apologies to anybody who we goofed up (we think there were only three). The memorial service today was absolutely beautiful, and the turnout really made me realize that I married into an incredibly loved and respected family here in Asheville.

Anyway, I've been practicing out of this book lately, myself, and it's so much more organized than what I had been doing previously. It's really no wonder my chops are in such great shape here the past several days.

Thank you, everybody who's been so supportive of this latest Reinhardt publication. (Oh, and tell your trombone-playing friends that we're hoping to have the trombone book out by 9/21/07.)
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We trombone playing friends are waiting...
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple questions via email that I thought might help some of you who have already gotten your books by now. I'll leave off the name to "protect the innocent."

At 02:21 PM 9/9/2007 a fellow trumpeter wrote:
I have some questions about the Reinhardt book.

1. You mention keeping the weight on the lower lip — exactly what do you mean and how should that "feel"?

2. Jaw Retention Drill — protruding the jaw doesn't seem to be paying any benefits or making a difference, maybe I'm doing it wrong. You are talking about pushing the jaw forward as far as possible, correct?

This book has a lot of promise. I am excited about working through it.

Thank you for providing this.

In responding to these questions, I wrote:
What Reinhardt means by that is to let the bottom lip take the brunt of the "beating," that is, whatever mouthpiece pressure is necessary to play ought to be felt more on the bottom lip than the top lip.

Reinhardt was big on the "neutralized pressure" concept. If 10 lbs. of pressure pushing one direction meets 10 lbs. of pressure pushing the other direction, what do you have in the middle? Some would say 20 lbs., some would say 0 lbs. Reinhardt called this "neutralized pressure" because your lips are pushing toward the mouthpiece the same amount as the mouthpiece is being pulled toward the lips. Just make sure that the bottom lip feels like it's the one doing the most receiving/giving of the pressure.

The Jaw Retention Drill . . . push the jaw out. I've been doing this since 1978, trust me, it helps over the long term.

Yes, this book is great. I've been practicing every day out of it (again) for three weeks or so, now, and wowee what a difference it makes! Make sure you rest as much as you play, and stop *before* you get tired, don't wait until your chops are gone.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, so don't be bashful.

A note to trombonists who hang around here: that book is still scheduled to be released on or about the 21st of September. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Back to work!
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine Friday and began it that night. Great stuff. Day 1 is a nice even graduated workout. All the lento stuff seems to tune your chops to be ready for the high stuff toward the end. I got to them pretty effortlessly.

A few questions.

Would there be any harm to substituting the pivot stabilizer I'm used to for the one in the book? Mine's similar but starts higher (on C ) and only uses octaves. It's a little longer as well.

Thoughts on where I could work in some buzzing and walking-in drills? at the end? or somewhere in the middle?

congrats (and thanks) for this great service to brass players.

BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mulligan stew wrote:
Got mine Friday and began it that night. Great stuff. Day 1 is a nice even graduated workout. All the lento stuff seems to tune your chops to be ready for the high stuff toward the end. I got to them pretty effortlessly.

A few questions.

Would there be any harm to substituting the pivot stabilizer I'm used to for the one in the book? Mine's similar but starts higher (on C ) and only uses octaves. It's a little longer as well.

Thoughts on where I could work in some buzzing and walking-in drills? at the end? or somewhere in the middle?

congrats (and thanks) for this great service to brass players.

If that's the stabilizer you're used to, then it ought to be okay . . . but I'm only guessing. I never saw any other version of the stabilizer; Dave, anybody, have you?

As far as the BWI drills (BuzzWalkIn), I'd guess that it's probably okay to BWI on any of the C's (tuning note C) somewhere not too far along in any of the days. You definitely don't want to wait until your lips are starting to feel a little fatigued is what I'm thinking.

I'm hoping others who have experience with this will chime in.

Glad you like the book, Scott!
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the pivot stabilizer I'm used to... ... similar but starts higher (on C ) and only uses octaves. It's a little longer as well.

That's the "Octave Slurs" that I give to students instead of the original Stabilizer. It was my idea. I know a lot of you guys stick to Reinhardt's exact words and notes, but I learned from 10 years with him that he continually modified his ideas and exercises, and I do the same.
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it Doug. A constant of my practice day for a while now, and I think it snaps my chops into place a little quicker than the lower, shorter Stabilizer in the (really excellent) volume we're discussing.

Though it doesn't have the low C to high G, two-and-a-half octave slur (!) that the book does...

PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, any chance we could know a little more about this exercise of yours, Doug?

Rich
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reinhardt Rotines Reply with quote

Rich:

As you promised, got mine today.

As usual from Rich Willey, a First Class presentation!

Going to dive in.

Just as you play, you do BEAUTIFUL work!

Best Boppin'!
Nick
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PivotBone wrote:
um, any chance we could know a little more about this exercise of yours, Doug?

Rich

I write it differently for each student, to accommodate their needs. Basically, every slur is an octave down and back up, or up and back down... all over the horn. It expands until you're covering every C (Bb) or G (F) in your range. Someday I'll put it all together in a book. I need to finish building my house first...
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug. I'll be first in line to buy that book!

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: