• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Reinhardt Routines—a total embouchure development plan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reinhardt Drills Reply with quote

airdyn wrote:
The Pivot Stabilizer in the revised version of Reinhardt Routines has a caveat: Note: this drill is very strenuous. Many students skip the Stabilizer at first, adding it weeks or months later as embouchure development permits. I would like to add a further notice. Unless one has been properly taught his/her particular pivot, HANDS OFF THIS DRILL.

As of the above post, Dave and Doug are now in agreement regarding this drill. In the drill's defense, I want to remind everyone that Doc told me in person that players could correct their pivot by merely keeping the weight on the lower lip during descending slurs.

When Dave and I were putting this book together, I brought that point up, and we agreed to include that point. Several purchasers of the book have written emails to me asking about the Pivot Stabilizer, and there were three or four (before we included the "warning") who were doing it and claiming that that one concept of keeping the weight on the lower lip during descending slurs revolutionized their playing.

I agree that this drill unquestionably works better when you know your correct pivot, but I also think it's interesting that a few players (ones who have corresponded with me) have claimed great benefit from it without knowing their pivot or type.

For what it's worth, your mileage will undoubtedly vary.
Nick Mondello
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reinhardt Routines Reply with quote

Several purchasers of the book have written emails to me asking about the Pivot Stabilizer, and there were three or four (before we included the "warning") who were doing it and claiming that that one concept of keeping the weight on the lower lip during descending slurs revolutionized their playing.

I agree that this drill unquestionably works better when you know your correct pivot, but I also think it's interesting that a few players (ones who have corresponded with me) have claimed great benefit from it without knowing their pivot or type. [quote]

Rich:

As one who tends to be hyper-literal, instructions/directions/guidelines are VERY important to me.

The direction included to maintain "weight" on bottom chop has helped me a great deal, not only here in the Routine, but also in other stuff I practice.

I guess I've become less of a "lazy lipper and more of a "lip gripper!"

Also, the "Chop Opus" you suggested has helped as well. Am a better player for it for which I thank you and Dave.

Best,
Nick
Quote:
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I'm a consummate self-analyzer, and after months of investigating DSR and his teaching, I have come to the conclusion that understanding my pivot should help me solve a few nagging issues that years of diligent practice have not adequately addressed.

I have ordered Rich's new adaptation of the Routines, and I am excited at the prospect of ironing out those elusive creases in my playing! I'll be working with Paul Garrett on getting myself "officially" typed (unofficially, I'm a IIIB), and he'll be giving me some tips on how to best use the exercises.

I look forward to sharing my story and giving progress reports!

Paul Poovey
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it gets curiouser and curiouser. I spent 3 hours with Kenny Smukel yesterday, and he typed me as a IIIA. I'd told him about Crotty typing me as a IIIB three weeks ago, and within a couple minutes of playing, Kenny told me he wasn't so sure about that. We spent quite awhile having me play in the different registers, and he went from pretty sure, to 99% sure, to 100% sure I'm a IIIA. I don't know what happened with Mike Crotty; maybe I was unconsciously doing what I thought he wanted me to do? At any rate, we tried it both ways and the IIIA pivoting or tracking (or whatever you call it) produced the best results. Crotty's lesson was by no means a waste--he gave me a lot of valuable info, including several pages of routines he'd engraved himself and some general advice on learning and practicing tunes. Between the two gentlemen, the time spent was some of the most valuable I've spent on the horn in over ten years.

Kenny also spent awhile talking about my tongue placement. Since talking to Crotty, I'd suspected something was up in this department, because I tend to put my tongue over my bottom teeth and against my bottom lip when playing. I've got good range and can play lead, but my endurance isn't what it should be unless I've been playing 5 nights a week, and Crotty got me thinking that this might be part of the problem. Kenny told me to get the tip of my tongue down onto the ridge below my bottom teeth when sustaining a note, and at the same time to arch the back of my tongue like I'm pronouncing the letter 'k' (he called this the k column).

It took awhile before I was able to coordinate this stuff, but I'd also come down to Tucson for a 4-hour gig. He told me not to think about this stuff on the gig, but during the more mundane and repetitive stuff, I tried working on it. To the extent I was able to make it work, I could feel a distinct difference. It's also worth pointing out that I've been practicing pretty consistently for the last month, including playing the Arban endurance drill every three days. What a drag that is to play, even for the 25 minutes I've made it up to. Ditto for the pencil/jaw/buzzing routines on a daily basis. But the results speak for themselves. I've always had a pretty good A above high C, but last night that note practically played itself.

Kenny also gave me my pivot point, which is my bottom left tooth, and my attack point, which is my upper right tooth.

I also asked him about some bebop articulation things at faster tempos, and he grabbed his horn for the first time and demonstrated an exercise for me. As it turned out, the example exercise he gave me is in Rich's new book.
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, it gets curiouser and curiouser. I spent 3 hours with Kenny Smukel yesterday, and he typed me as a IIIA. I'd told him about Crotty typing me as a IIIB three weeks ago, and within a couple minutes of playing, Kenny told me he wasn't so sure about that. We spent quite awhile having me play in the different registers, and he went from pretty sure, to 99% sure, to 100% sure I'm a IIIA. I don't know what happened with Mike Crotty; maybe I was unconsciously doing what I thought he wanted me to do? At any rate, we tried it both ways and the IIIA pivoting or tracking (or whatever you call it) produced the best results. Crotty's lesson was by no means a waste--he gave me a lot of valuable info, including several pages of routines he'd engraved himself and some general advice on learning and practicing tunes. Between the two gentlemen, the time spent was some of the most valuable I've spent on the horn in over ten years.

Doc Reinhardt typed me as a IIIB. Years later Ken Smukal and Don Junker told me the same thing. Doug Elliott said I was IIIA. Of course this played tricks with my head and I always had doubts as to who was right. Looking back on it I think that when each of them saw me play they were correct because I could play almost equally either way. In fact I think early on I always played IIIB but when I made the effort to play with a wet embouchure this is when IIIA crept in. I switched back and forth over the years which messed with my consistency. I couldn't come to terms with what I should be doing. Doug believes that if you are a true IIIB you cannot play as a IIIA but the opposite is not so. If you look back at earlier posts by Doug you will hear him expound on this. I now play exclusively IIIA and this is the best I've ever played.

John
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich G
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered the book. I look forward to the guided direction for applying Dr. Reinhardt's principles.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

healey.cj wrote:
Hey, quick question which hasn't appeared yet I don't think:

Approximately how long do the daily routines take?

I presume there are lighter and harder days so what kind of time frame are we talking for each day?
Easy day 1 hour?
Hard day ???

Just wondering.
Chris

When I start with the Stabilizer I am usually through with most of the 9 days in less than an hour. It all depends on how slow you take them and if you rest at least as much as you just played during the drills. A couple of them don't take as long.

Then I rest for awhile and come back later and work on stuff that I need to improve upon. On practice days (no gigs) I try to get at least three good, solid sessions in.

And yes, some of the days are harder than others. Bear in mind that it is recommended not to go further if we experience strain. There are a couple of the days that I have never "completed," and I know I'm much better off "cooling it" than pushing ahead and risking embouchure strain.

It really is a great plan to build a solid embouchure and technique. Don't forget, it really is Reinhardt's plan . . . Dave and I just tried to make it so that you can do it successfully without a Reinhardt-oriented teacher.
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the book yesterday. Thanks Rich. I really don't have much time over the next few weeks to start on a daily schedule. I am assuming that the 3 off-horn exercises can help until that is possible.

In playing through Day 1 today, however, I find that playing with wet chops is very challenging and the buzz does not come easily. So the word 'strain' must be a relative term.

I can see there is plenty of work to do. It seems this book will provide a nice sense of direction. I also love the quote by Doc in the front of the book about attitude. He sounds like he was a great person as well as teacher.

Doug
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In playing through Day 1 today, however, I find that playing with wet chops is very challenging and the buzz does not come easily. So the word 'strain' must be a relative term.

I was 22 years old when I took my first lesson with Doc. I had recently joined the Navy Band in Washington D.C. And I played totally dry. When I first tried to play on a wet embouchure I could barely get a note out. I was holding my chops in place by friction and force...not by muscles. I now play totally wet...in fact I can't play dry anymore. Doc always said that a wet embouchure should be the first choice. It is very difficult to play correctly on dry chops. I had to proceed slowly with the wet embouchure as I was now using muscles I had not used before.

I also had to learn to buzz. Now I can buzz anywhere from high C to G above depending on the freshness of my chops.

John
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd pass along an update. I've been playing the 9-day routine fairly regularly for a couple of months now, along with the Arban endurance drill twice a week, the advanced form studies, the fingering drills, and my usual jazz stuff. Typical day's practice is 90 minutes to two hours, split up into 2 or 3 sessions.

This past weekend I had my busiest gig day in months, and held up just fine. Two two-hour dinner shows, which were quasi-classical and not incredibly taxing except for some long horn-on-the-face moments. But they took their toll. Then a two-hour R&B rehearsal for some touring acts at a large venue, followed by a 4-hour R&B show playing lead. Stage volume was excruciating, with the horns taking a direct hit from the side fills, making it hard to hear ourselves. The monitors were cranked to the point of feedback, and they still couldn't compete with the sidefills. It was nuts.

Anyway, I made it through in much better shape that I ever have in the past on that gig. There was one vamped passage with some high E's and no rest (the intro to "I'll Always Love My Mama") that eventually took me down and I had to stop for a couple bars. But my recovery time was very very short, and I never really felt like I was falling apart. Even better, the next day I was expecting to feel swollen and beat to hell after ten hours of playing, but I felt just fine. I was shocked. It felt like any other day.

As far as Kenny Smukel's recommendation to get my tongue away from my aperture, I can keep it away OK up to a high C or maybe D. Above that, it seems like I have to push the tip of my tongue against the inside of the bottom lip to get the next 4 or 5 notes. I guess I could call Kenny and talk to him (I won't be in Tucson again for a couple months), but if anyone has any advice on how to eliminate or at least minimize this, I'm game. I've been trying to move up chromatically across the 'break', but around a C# I seem to hit a wall unless I press my tongue against my bottom lip.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty remarkable testimonial of how much Reinhardt routines have helped a guy who never actually studied with Reinhardt. Thanks, Kurt (that is you, right?).

I have heard from reliable sources that your playing has gotten noticeably better since you've been doing the Reinhardt stuff, first Warmup 57 and then The Reinhardt Routines. Can't say I'm surprised, although I wish more people would proclaim their progress publicly.

Thanks for posting that! You're an inspiration for the rest of us, definitely!
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as Kenny Smukel's recommendation to get my tongue away from my aperture, I can keep it away OK up to a high C or maybe D. Above that, it seems like I have to push the tip of my tongue against the inside of the bottom lip to get the next 4 or 5 notes. I guess I could call Kenny and talk to him (I won't be in Tucson again for a couple months), but if anyone has any advice on how to eliminate or at least minimize this, I'm game. I've been trying to move up chromatically across the 'break', but around a C# I seem to hit a wall unless I press my tongue against my bottom lip.

I used to do the same thing. What I did to correct this was to lower the front end of my horn a little. This put a bit more pressure on the lower lip which in turn helped me to strengthen the lower lip compression including the muscles that run from the mouthcorners down to the chin. It was the lower lip weakness that my tongue was compensating for. Doing the jaw retention exercise may allow the angle to come back up slightly as you build lower lip strength.

Dave Sheetz reminded me of something Doc said that I had forgotten about. "The 1st point of breakdown of an embouchure occurs "under the ears", where these muscles control the lower jaw position. When this "gives in" to playing demands, the next thing to go are the "mouth corners". Then the muscles of the lips become tired and development is at a standstill".

John
JazzABCs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: The Reinhardt Routines Reply with quote

I ordered The Reinhardt Routines a few days ago knowing that I probably have all of the material in the book. I took monthly lessons with Doc in the early to mid 80s when I lived on the east coast. I received the book today and I must say that I am very impressed with the layout, contents, and quality.

This price of the book is very reasonable. If it contained only the Pivot System Warm-up 57, it is worth the price. Well done Rich!

GG
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwilson46: I used to do the same thing. What I did to correct this was to lower the front end of my horn a little. This put a bit more pressure on the lower lip which in turn helped me to strengthen the lower lip compression including the muscles that run from the mouthcorners down to the chin. It was the lower lip weakness that my tongue was compensating for. Doing the jaw retention exercise may allow the angle to come back up slightly as you build lower lip strength.

Well, my horn angle has always been extremely low to begin with, as I have an overbite. A year ago I bought a bent version of my mouthpiece, which helped the horn angle thing and also tends to cause me to put more weight on my lower lip. Took a couple of months to figure out, actually. Between the bent piece and the Reinhardt stuff, I'm definitely putting more weight on my lower lip and have been for some time. I'm developing a callus just under my lower lip where the mouthpiece hits. I don't know what more I can do in this direction! I'm doing the buzzing/pencil/ jaw drills, too. I feel pretty good holding the pencil for between 2 and 3 minutes.

What I can tell you is that as I ascend, I have more and more lower lip curling in over my teeth. It wants to move inward over my lower teeth, and I think I'm pushing against my lower lip from the inside to keep it from coming in too far. If I pull my tongue away above a high D, my embouchure wants to fall apart because there's not much lower lip left to do any buzzing--it snaps inside over my lower teeth. So it tends to get squished pretty good if I have to play upstairs for any length of time, because I'm holding it in place with my tongue.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, Dave Sheetz was unable to submit a response to TH, so he emailed me with it and I'm posting it below:

PhxHorn wrote:
What I can tell you is that as I ascend, I have more and more lower lip curling in over my teeth. It wants to move inward over my lower teeth, and I think I'm pushing against my lower lip from the inside to keep it from coming in too far. If I pull my tongue away above a high D, my embouchure wants to fall apart because there's not much lower lip left to do any buzzing--it snaps inside over my lower teeth. So it tends to get squished pretty good if I have to play upstairs for any length of time, because I'm holding it in place with my tongue.

airdyn a.k.a. Dave Sheetz wrote:

Hi. I am searching for one of the lessons I had with Dr. Reinhardt where I showed up with this tongue-against-the-lower-lip in the extreme high register. It went away right after the lesson with his recommendations. What I can add here is whether you qualify for Tongue Types Three or Four as described in The Encyclopedia? If you have the physical make-up to be using one of them, then you may not really have to change. Doug Elliot told me that when he went to see Doc for the first time he was "anchoring" his tongue tip against the lower lip also. I know he stopped doing that also.

It must be remembered that these are not "Reinhardt" tongue types, by the way. All tongue types are not "made up" by Doc. They are the result of what he observed and classified after many years of looking, talking to and analyzing many great and not so great players. Ditto his Embouchure types...not "made up", just described as actual manifestations. He noted many other tongue types not described in the Encyclopedia and no doubt he would have more Embouchure Types and Tongue Types to report or write about if he were still alive.

One thing I have thought about these many years when others dispute Doc's "reasoning" and criticize his findings is this quote from Thomas Paine's Common Sense: "Time makes more converts than reason". Given time, Doc's discoveries just may be the standard for ALL camps and methods to come around to. Just maybe. Of course, I am such a die-hard follower, so don't take my statements as anything more than my opinion.

Dave S.

airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Tongue-lower lip Reply with quote

Rich,
Thanks. My computer is ok now. One more thing: Doug is a IIIA , I'm a IIIB, so this is not a thing related to any particular "type". Doug can probably relate to a girl student of his that had this problem. I think she was of Asian descent. Maybe her problem and/or solution may help you here.
Dave S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: