• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Remedies for Sticking Valve

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skip77

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply to Craig Reply with quote

Good tips - thanks very much. When this string finally ends I'll print the whole thing and save it for future reference. I like the shotgun cleaning supply ideas - will pick up a kit from my local supplier. Thanks again.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the clash between oils. Should one use some sort of degreaser in addition to Dawn to ensure the old oil is all removed?
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn contains degreasers.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes dawn does, and it doesn't really do a very good job, hence the question.
skip77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Ultrapure Valve Oil Reply with quote

To all that posted in this string - thanks so much. I appreciate all the great suggestions. I am writing again to report an interesting development that is pretty much the same experience reported by a couple players in this topic and here it is:

My transaction with Jason concluded yesterday with the arrival of the Monette B6 mpc modification. Jason included in that package, a VROOM microfiber cloth which he suggested I use when cleaning the valve pistons, two viscosities of valve grease and one bottle of UltraPure valve oil.

Guess what? Having done nothing to remedy the problem since starting this thread, I simply applied a few drops of UltraPure to my sticking valve and wonder of wonders... the thing immediately started to free itself! A few depressions and it was getting better by the minute. Today, after the horn sat overnight, I retrieved it and the piston is free and clear as if nothing had ever happened. Amazing. I can only figure that adding different oils to the piston without removing the UltraPure that had been applied by Jason, caused some undesirable reaction that mucked up the works?

Anyway, UltraPure valve oil is the only solution I needed! Thanks again to all. By the way, the B6 mod by Jason is bangin!
MrMac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Sticky valves Reply with quote

Hi fellow trumpet pickers! I’ve been reading all of the replies regarding sticky valve should appreciate the wealth of possible remedies. I have a Bach Strad that has recently developed second and third valve issues. I have tried the toothpaste and have made sure that the valves and the casings were cleaned properly and thoroughly and still have a sticking valve problem. I used to use blue juice until I learned that it creates build up quickly so I will choose some other oil that has been suggested here. Has anyone used cleaning vinegar to clean their valves? Think I saw that once in the forum but there was no opinion of the results.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest augmenting your reading with this piece by Robb Stewart.

https://www.robbstewart.com/valve-problems

If there is sufficient build-up on the pistons themselves to become an issue, typically it is visible and certainly can be detected as the piston surface "feeling wrong" in your fingers.

When someone says they have developed a stick in third, or second & third abruptly, I always start looking for the subtle shiny spot that develops on the nickel if a slide has been bumped.

As for vinegar, it is a mild acid and acts as one would expect as far as cleaning. But you have to be very careful about not leaving any inside the hollow piston where it can do damage over time, and can seep back out adding to the other elements attacking your casings.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reply to Craig Reply with quote

skip77 wrote:
Good tips - thanks very much. When this string finally ends I'll print the whole thing and save it for future reference. I like the shotgun cleaning supply ideas - will pick up a kit from my local supplier. Thanks again.

Skip,
Before to go to any extremes, try using Alisyn Oil. I had a sticking problem with My Conn Vintage one that i tried many different fixes including all that were mentioned here, Actually brought it to josh Landress in NYC and he tried to fix it, suggested a valve job for $600. Well i stumbled upon alisyn oil and the problem went away. The drawback is that Alisyn Oil leaves a brownish liquid in your bottom caps after a while and it stains clothing if your not careful. However after using it for a few months i switched oils to Monster Oil original and then Lynnzoil, and the problem has never returned. I acutally use both monster and lynnzoil interchangeably now, whichever one is handy and have no issues what so ever. I use alisyn oil still if i have a cold outdoor gig because it doesn't react to spit.
Alisyn is a petty heavy oil, but its a cheap fix if it works for you, like $5 bucks cheap.

good luck

tom
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sticky valves Reply with quote

MrMac wrote:
I have tried the toothpaste and have made sure that the valves and the casings were cleaned properly and thoroughly and still have a sticking valve problem. I used to use blue juice until I learned that it creates build up quickly so I will choose some other oil that has been suggested here. Has anyone used cleaning vinegar to clean their valves? Think I saw that once in the forum but there was no opinion of the results.

As a (former) professional laboratorium technician I would say no to any D.I.Y. valve problem solutions by using toothpaste or other very fine grinding paste since they remove metal parts from the valve castings thus enlarging the space between the valve and the cylinder ( = valve casting)
Not only is this undesirable since it will lead to leaky valves, either the lubrification performance of regular valve oil will get worse because of the increasing play between valve and cylinder: valve oil is simlpy too thin to stay in place when the play is too big thus the oil simply cannot do her work.

Cleaning valves and valve castings with vinegar is pretty much useless: the build up residu won't dissolve in a acid environment, this kind of build up wil; only dissolve in a strong alkalic solution or in organic based cleaners like purified gasoline, lighter gasoline, acetone and such.

If you want to clean your valve castings and you do not want to work with strong alkalic solutions like caustic soda than simply put your horn into a bath thub filled with warm water and the kind of soap you use for doing the dishes, take a test tube brush and put some of that soap on it and just scrub with the wet soapy brush the cylinders. The valve surface you clean with purified gasoline on a rag until no dark particles will leave the surface.

Than oil the valves and practice.

If problems remain change the brand / type oil: My Getzen horns will get sticky valves if lubrificated with BiNak 495, the Getzens perform the best with All Cass or La Tromba T2 Light, my Bach on the other hand prefers BiNak
grune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: try... Reply with quote

1/ For the intrepid, a DIY approach to clean the bore and polish the pistons can achieve great results.
2/ For the vast majority, a visit to a reputable repair shop is in order.
3/ Assuming the "expert" sees nothing wrong with valves and bores, the culprit is the quality of oil. The oils of today are great synthetics, odourless; but I find they emulsify rather quickly from the humid, human air we blow through the horns - thus become sticky. [The oils in the olden days were true distillates: very "aromatic", who knows what carcinogens, but did not emulsify]. Using the synthetics, I find I need daily to remove the pistons from the bore, wipe them with a tissue, insert and repeat, then add fresh oil. Sometimes, I will use "rubbing alcohol" to clean bore and piston [a safe degreaser].
4/ And now for the great, controversial comment..... The piston surface should have a nice, consistent sheen. Often, I see very shiny pistons with vertical grooves. These stick - mine did. Very long ago, I delved into automotive engines, and learned an engine bore must never be shiny like a mirror: it must have a sheen, and the bore must have x-cross hairline "scratches". These trap the oil, so the piston can be properly lubricated. Believe it or not, I polished my Bach monel pistons to have x-cross hairlines in the sheen - and voila, no more sticky valves. They are smooth, with excellent "compression".
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not mixing oils of different brands or chemical make up, synthetic and non . If you switch you should clean well with soapy water, dont forget to remove felts and corks. try to put things back ,corks felts springs .on the same pistons you took out . Make sure piston stem has not turned out( unscrewed) a bit. I make sure mine can be loosened then snug down gently. Dont force anything . Force is relative, then before you insert piston all the way or if you are careful, oil the piston with a drop or two, place piston in case, line up valve guide to casing detent , look inside for alignment oil some more , piston may actually slide into casing on its own . Pistons should be numbered 1 2 3 . you know the drill . I actually pull the slides and put in a drop or two into visible ports. to reach pistons . every now and then . Usually I oil cornet / trumpet before I put it to bed rather than before practice with Hetman# 3 for older looser and La Tromba T2 for tighter valves . Both are synthetic and appear to be compatible as well . And they last quite a long time for a spitter like me . I have found very little residue with LaTromba T2 but it's a bit pricey so be aware .
Olds Special Cornet '64
Olds French Horn Bugle G/F
SAdoc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a Strad that had a sticking valves that drove me crazy. I tried multiple oils, cleaned the valves with vinegar, chem clean by a music store, etc. nothing helped.
The thing that finally worked was adding a few drops of Breakfree CLP ( a gun cleaner/lube) to the valve oil. Ultrapure with a few drops of CLP and the valves on that horn are great, but anytime I try it without the CLP they start sticking again.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatsby77 wrote:
I actually pull the slides and put in a drop or two into visible ports. to reach pistons . every now and then .

I am not quite sure if I am reading Gatsby's post correctly. The non-standard punctuation and syntax make it hard to decipher.

But here I believe that (s)he is recommending oiling through the slides. Doing this or oiling through the hole in the bottom cap can move dirt and debris into the valves.
Gatsby77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Rusty has a good point on not oiling through the slide ports . I wont contest it . I should have elaborated. I do that every now and then after a major cleaning of all parts of the instrument. If you have a doubt refrain from that oiling . I am completely in agreement with his dont oil through he bottom caps ever . The general idea is to let the oil wash the cylinder down to the bottom . Oiling through the slide ports can also dislodge detrious material from with in the piston ports if the pistons havnt been removed and cleaned completely . Thanks Little Rusty
Olds Special Cornet '64
Olds French Horn Bugle G/F
SirOtterman

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: try... Reply with quote

grune wrote:

4/ And now for the great, controversial comment..... [...] it must have a sheen, and the bore must have x-cross hairline "scratches". These trap the oil, so the piston can be properly lubricated. Believe it or not, I polished my Bach monel pistons to have x-cross hairlines in the sheen - and voila, no more sticky valves. They are smooth, with excellent "compression".

About that x-cross hairlines. What did you use to polish those pistons to achive that result. I am very curious about that and my sticking B&S second valve is too.
grune

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: try... Reply with quote

SirOtterman wrote:
grune wrote:

4/ And now for the great, controversial comment..... [...] it must have a sheen, and the bore must have x-cross hairline "scratches". These trap the oil, so the piston can be properly lubricated. Believe it or not, I polished my Bach monel pistons to have x-cross hairlines in the sheen - and voila, no more sticky valves. They are smooth, with excellent "compression".

About that x-cross hairlines. What did you use to polish those pistons to achive that result. I am very curious about that and my sticking B&S second valve is too.

Specifically, the casing bore; you will need the kinds of tools found in an engine rebuilder machine shop, and the knowledge. So, do not DIY this.

You will need also to polish the valves. This can be done DIY using 3M polishing solutions for autobody paints, specifically the ones for the clear-coats. This will be safe for DIY, as the solutions are formulated for soft clear-coat, not hard metals, so the abrasive will be very gentle on your valves. IF your valves are monel, you may need to use the coarse solution only one time, then follow with the medium and fine grits to achieve a very smooth sheen. And, these solutions are water-based. Put some on the valves, then twist and push them up and down the valve bore. Rinse, then use the finer grits.

IF your valves and bore are "true", you should feel a difference from the polish. Use a distillate oil [the thin, smelly stuff] liberally and often thereafter for a week. Repeat the polish process if valves stick, using the medium and fine grits. Use the distillate oil for many months. Remove valves weekly and wipe with a tissue. If you see grey residue, your valves are being "honed" to the casing, safely. Use the distillate oil until the time you see no grey residue on the tissue. And, clean the bottom valve caps too. Use lots of oil when you play, and often, as the distillate evaporates rather quickly [say 30 minutes].

IF your valves or bore are not "true", you have a MAJOR problem and the approach above will be ineffective until you manage to true the valves and bore. To true them, you need special tools and skill.

Hope this helps. Overall, the best advice is to have an expert, repair tech for trumpets to work on your valves.

epilogue:
Consumers of today are far more fortunate than of old. Today, we have manufacturers giving warranties against manufacturing defects. This was not so back in the '70s when I bought my horn. Mine arrived in terrible playing condition, with no warranty and no right of return. The "famous dealer" in NYC took full advantage of the cross-border protections he had, leaving me with a total dud and no recourse. Bach company refused to help. The valves were not playable, and were badly scored by a careless person at the factory. I honed the valves by myself, and thankfully they were sufficiently "true" not to require a complete re-bore. 40 years later, they still operate smoothly and quickly [with the right oil]. This story is not unique, sadly.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: try... Reply with quote

grune wrote:
[... Overall, the best advice is to have an expert, repair tech for trumpets to work on your valves.

--------------------------
Yes, DIY valve / casing polishing can result in good valve action with no sticking, but it isn't something to dive into before determining that it's really needed.

FIRST you should do a very thorough inspection of the valves and the cases. Carefully look (and feel) for any nicks, rub or scratch marks on the valves - and also on the interior of the cases.
If you can detect a particular location in the valve movement where the 'stick' (or tightness) occurs, then concentrate on finding marks that would correspond.

If the valves operate well when freshly oiled, but start to stick after a while, it likely means the oil has moved away from some spots causing direct metal-to-metal contact (instead of the valves riding on a thin film of oil). It could be that you need an oil that 'clings' to the metal better.

I don't believe that it is always necessary to have 'cross-hatch' visible marks on the valves or the cases to 'hold the oil'.

And while it's easy to remove metal, there's no easy way to put it back!

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know guys, it seems to me like there are reasons that guys like Steve Winans, Charlie Melk, etc. are as well known and respected for their expertise in valve work as they are. DIY is fine, but personally if I have a valve problem that regular cleaning doesn’t seem to address, the horn gets sent to a pro. Remedies like toothpaste or hardware store cleaners and solvents? Not me.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I don’t know guys, it seems to me like there are reasons that guys like Steve Winans, Charlie Melk, etc. are as well known and respected for their expertise in valve work as they are. DIY is fine, but personally if I have a valve problem that regular cleaning doesn’t seem to address, the horn gets sent to a pro. Remedies like toothpaste or hardware store cleaners and solvents? Not me.

Brad

I too question the reasoning of using DIY solutions from random people in the interwebs on a heart of a professional horn that now costs $3000 new. Minor repair work of around $100-150 is minimal compared to a full valve job or replacement.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking valves are 90 percent of the time due to loose fitting pistons. Lapping compound or other abrasive will only make worse. Looser fitting pistons require thicker oil. I’ve tried EVERY vintage style oil including home brews and the best hands down is BERP BIOoil heavy. Total game changer and does not shift around like Yamaha vintage or hetmans or all of the other synthetics including those made by great cool guys who make awesome videos.

The other 10 percent of the time it’s something like pressure on the casing from slide tubes. Heating or degreasing the slide tubes can fix that. If you use compound on a stressed casing the compound just wears the casing where the pressure is and the pressure keeps making it stick round and round until the casing is shot. If the second valve slide has been pushed from dropping etc, you can pull it the other way to free up the valve. Then over the course of a few days you can pull pressure on the slide to make it better. Too much pressure and it’s messed up the other way so go easy. It will better for maybe a day and then it will spring back to the pressured position. Tug again every day until it stays that way. Maybe ten times once every day for ten days. That’s only if it’s not too bad to begin with but you can fix a bad sticking 2nd valve that way for free with no death compound.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: