• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MARTIN DELUXE TRUMPET

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blu31

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: MARTIN DELUXE TRUMPET Reply with quote

I HAVE A NICEPLAYING MARTIN DELUXE TRUMPET SERIALNUMBER 714XXX .ITīS NICKEL WITH BRASS ON MOVEABLE PARTS.
I HAVE HEARD THAT THE COMMITTEE MADE SOME DELUXE TRUMPETS WITHOUT PUTTING THE COMMITTEE MARK ON. WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE AND FROM WHICH YEAR???
BLU31
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Modern Martin Reply with quote

What you have is actually a LeBlanc, made in the old Holton plant. At this time there is no serial number list published. Contacting LeBlanc 'might' get you the info that you need. When calling ask for Mr. Kamphuis. If he is in a good mood, he 'might' give you that information.

OLDLOU>>
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Martin Reply with quote

oldlou wrote:
What you have is actually a LeBlanc, made in the old Holton plant. At this time there is no serial number list published. Contacting LeBlanc 'might' get you the info that you need. When calling ask for Mr. Kamphuis. If he is in a good mood, he 'might' give you that information.

OLDLOU>>

Just noticed this THread ....

I have a couple of these horns, also ... a Trumpet and a Cornet.

Lou -- are these horns comprised of any Holton or LeBlanc parts (valves, slides, caps, etc.) that are common to other models (of Holtons or LeBlanc horns)?

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Modern Martin Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
oldlou wrote:

OLDLOU>>

Just noticed this THread ....

I have a couple of these horns, also ... a Trumpet and a Cornet.

Lou -- are these horns comprised of any Holton or LeBlanc parts (valves, slides, caps, etc.) that are common to other models (of Holtons or LeBlanc horns)?

Yogi Robt

Sorry, Robt. I have no idea, but, a call to Mr. Kamphuis just might provide you with that info. Good luck.

OLDLOU>>
ChaseFan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Martin Reply with quote

oldlou wrote:

OLDLOU>>

The original poster said:
"I HAVE A NICEPLAYING MARTIN DELUXE TRUMPET SERIAL NUMBER 714XXX "

That serial number would indicate that the trumpet was made in 1964.
http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/martin-serial-numbers-19906.html

But I read that Leblance bought Martin in 1971.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:WtkgR1RjYukJ:www.gleblanc.com/history/index.php+martin+leblanc+1971&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

So how could a 1964 Martin be made by Leblanc?
ChaseFan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Modern Martin Reply with quote

ChaseFan wrote:
oldlou wrote:

OLDLOU>>

The original poster said:
"I HAVE A NICEPLAYING MARTIN DELUXE TRUMPET SERIAL NUMBER 714XXX "

That serial number would indicate that the trumpet was made in 1964.
http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/martin-serial-numbers-19906.html

But I read that Leblance bought Martin in 1971.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:WtkgR1RjYukJ:www.gleblanc.com/history/index.php+martin+leblanc+1971&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

So how could a 1964 Martin be made by Leblanc?

I now see that many Web sites say that Wurlitzer bought out Martin in 1964, then Leblanc bought out Wurlitzer / Martin in 1971.
That explains the "Martin by Wurlitzer" on the case of this 1964 cornet on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MARTIN-CORNET-710587-w-Case-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ180208435312QQihZ008QQcategoryZ41396QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So the original poster of this thread has a Martin trumpet that was made by Wurlitzer 7 years before Leblance bought out Wurlitzer.
Which I assume still makes the 1964 Martin trumpet not a "real" Martin of real Martin quality?
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Martin. Almost definitely of the Wurlitzer period of ownership of the name / manufacturing-facility.

Those websites accessed for information are not totally dependable for accuracy. I probably have more Martin instruments (not just horns) than the authors have ever seen. I suspect they (the authors posting "information" on the websites) are using second-hand bits of "information" and comments passed along by Martin horn owners, former plant employees, and so-on. Not such a bad method for gathering "information"; however, having numerous examples of the instruments right in-front of one is more reliable. The records of serial-numbers are incomplete from the manufacturing facility. I strongly suspect the serial-numbering sequence, as well as the general methodology of a numbering "scheme", was changed at some point. Therefore, it is rightful to assume there is great doubt regarding the latter years (Wurlitzer to modern-era) of serial-numbering and the usefulness of same.

Don't believe everything you read ... (even what I am theorizing). Our liberal American press is a good example.

Anyone remember the bumper-stickers (from the late 1960s and early 1970s), that read, "QUESTION AUTHORITY" ??

Question everything.

Caveat emptor.

~ Namaste ....
Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
ChaseFan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
It's a Martin. Almost definitely of the Wurlitzer period of ownership of the name / manufacturing-facility.

Those websites accessed for information are not totally dependable for accuracy. I probably have more Martin instruments (not just horns) than the authors have ever seen. I suspect they (the authors posting "information" on the websites) are using second-hand bits of "information" and comments passed along by Martin horn owners, former plant employees, and so-on. Not such a bad method for gathering "information"; however, having numerous examples of the instruments right in-front of one is more reliable. The records of serial-numbers are incomplete from the manufacturing facility. I strongly suspect the serial-numbering sequence, as well as the general methodology of a numbering "scheme", was changed at some point. Therefore, it is rightful to assume there is great doubt regarding the latter years (Wurlitzer to modern-era) of serial-numbering and the usefulness of same.

Don't believe everything you read ... (even what I am theorizing). Our liberal American press is a good example.

Anyone remember the bumper-stickers (from the late 1960s and early 1970s), that read, "QUESTION AUTHORITY" ??

Question everything.

Caveat emptor.

~ Namaste ....
Yogi Robt

But the point would be:
Are the Martin trumpets made during the Wurlitzer years inferior to the Martin trumpets made before Wurlitzer bought out Martin in 1964?
Are the Martin trumpets made during the Leblanc years inferior to the Martin trumpets made before Leblanc bought out Wurlitzer / Martin in 1971?
There is precedent for suspecting that they could be inferior since the Conn trumpets were of inferior quality after McMillan bought out Conn in 1969 and then moved the Conn factory to Abilene, Texas in 1971.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view / attitude, is that the quality was inconsistent ... not necessarily inferior, nor superior.

I have seen excellent build-quality examples from the post-Martin (original), post R.M.C., post Wurlitzer-eras ... and, also, less-than-excellent build-quality examples. Nothing really poor / bad.

You'll never get a Martin that will fall apart in your hands.

"Play that funky-music, WhiteBoy".

~ Namaste ....
Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: