• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schulman System?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PStephens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the website for the Schulman system. I don't actually remember what the URL is, so if anyone else does, please put it on this forum, but I'm not quite sure about this device. Has anyone tried it? Is it really all that useful? Seems a little expensive for such a simple device, but if it's worth it I might give it a try.
PStephens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I found the website... it's http://www.schulmansystem.com
I know I know...it's easy, but I wanted to make sure before I put a URL and it wasn't correct.. anyway, tell me what you think..
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from the IAJE Conference. While I was there I got a chance to talk to Matt Shulman and check out his contraption. I also got to hear him play a little bit at a jam session. He sounds great (was a runner-up in the Caruso competition this year).

First, if you go looking for the contraption or the website it is "Shulman" without the "C".

I tried it out and I think there just might be something very good there. It definitely isn't a gimmick. I'm usually a real cynic.

The device is basically a horn holder-a neckstrap with a wooden brace that supports the horn. This allows your hands to relax and focus on working the valves and slides without having to do more than help with the horn's balance. It also seemed to minimize the tendency to use pressure and it seemed to help smooth out the pivot and other issues related to horn angle/jaw occlusion.

Matt based the design on his study of Alexander technique. I think that the biggest thing one might gain from using it is related to posture and breathing. I found that once I got used to it I could play higher and louder without using as much muscle and I know my breathing was helped by the good posture the device encourages.

A couple of my friends bought the device. Being a tightwad, I bid on it (under it's retail price) in the silent auction. If I have the winning bid I will be sure to let you know how I like it after working with it for a while.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I too am intrigued with the Shulman device. When I sponsored a SC Clinic/NorthernBrass Horn and Mouthpiece Fest last summer Bruce Lee brought one down and used it during the clinic.

Honestly, if I'd had the money I would have bought one right then! I still plan on getting one. Like masks for hockey players, I suspect that people will remain "macho" for a few more years before these things catch on.

It looks like a sax strap with a goofy black bowtie at the end of it to rest the horn on near the valve body, and it is fully adjustable so one gets the angle just right for them.

It promotes good posture, correct breathing and greatly reduces concious and unconcious pressure being applied. Tone opens up, range and flexibility increase, etc. It really made playing the horn easier when I tried it!

If you think about it, we are holding a nearly four pound, long brass object out IN FRONT of our faces at a nearly horizontal angle. With the mechanics of our arm's muscles pressure on the chops is bound to happen as we play. The Shulman system eliminates this mechanical problem!

Most will buy it as a practice aid. I envision it one day around trumpeter's necks in performance, much like a sax strap for a sax player. Gee . . . if the price was just about 50% lower it would really catch on!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2002-01-14 19:32 ]
johnny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, i've been watching and reading for some time now, but this is my first post. I too was interested in the device from Mr. Shulman. However, I own a Callet Jazz that has the third valve conversion. The ring on the bottom will not work with the device according to Shulman himself. It almost made me want to send my horn back to Jerry to change it. I ultimately decided that I didn't have the money anyway, as I had just recently aquired the Jazz. It seems that there are a host of you out there that have Jerry's horns, so I thought I'd give a little heads up.
Calvary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information, the system has a banner ad running on the site. It just happened to be running as I was reading the posts.

Tim
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...not many people seem to have this system..or at least I should say that not many people talk about it...any fans out there??

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddy, Chase Sanborn is using one -- you might give him a holler. He posted about it on TPIN, but I seem to have lost the post (may be pre-crash last year). A coupl eof other endorsers spoke up on TPIN, but I can't quite recall who (first the memory, then ???)

HTH - Don
Rich_Nichols

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
For those of you who are curious about the Shulman System, I'd like to tell you about it. I've had mine for around eight or nine months, and it's been more than useful.
One benefit of using it is that the position of your horn is fixed, rather than variable, relative to the position of your body. However, there is no sensation of being straitjacketed, or inhibited in any way; on the contrary, everything just feels easier. (That's really the main point, and the whole idea behind the device- I could talk at length, but that's basically it.)
So, when you're using this thing, you can focus on your posture, your breathing, and your embouchure, without contending with any upper body tension. Some places you might carry physical tension might be in your chest, shoulders, upper back, arms, hands- anywhere, really. With your horn balanced on a Shulman System, you can release any, or hopefully all, of this tension. You can play in a more relaxed and open physical (and, by extension, mental and emotional) state than has ever been possible. It can help you improve your body's alignment, which will open your breathing, which will in turn make you sound better, easier.
Furthermore, the system is made of resonant wood- when you play a centered note, it transmits the horn's vibrations directly to your sternum, which helps you develop your awareness of your horn's pitch center.
Yeah, maybe you'd be more likely to buy it and try it if it were 40 bucks, as opposed to 200. But take my advice and buy one. You'll be glad you did. It's probably cheaper than your case or your matched custom mouthpieces, and you'll find yourself playing at a higher level, no matter what level you're on now.
Rich Nichols
Brooklyn, NY
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Rich. I've had my Shulman system for about 3 weeks now. I am not using it to play in public, just when I warm up and through part of each day's practice session. I think this is how Chase Sanborn & Laurie Frink are using the system as well.

I find that my posture is much better. When I am wearing the system it seems almost impossible for me to take anything except a full and relaxed breath. This improved and more consistent approach to breathing has carried over into my playing when I am not using the system.

My sound seems to have more center and core and my delivery is more even throughout the range of the instrument. My blowing and my articulation seem to be more consistent. I think that this is due to the fact that my posture, breathing, and horn position/angle are more consistent.

The only problems I have had thus far are with notes from high F on up. I suspect that this is caused by the bad habits I have developed when playing in the upper register. I expect that this range will also settle down over time as my playing adjusts.

I'll update you again in a few weeks.
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
rofl>"It looks like a sax strap with a goofy black bowtie at the end of it to rest the horn on...."
Seeing PH brought this post back to the top, I can vouch that I did see it handy in PH's studio. I appreciated his explanation. [PH: Saw no deer during the return, but almost hit a skunk! Visited Mama Jazz on her wmub.org jazz show.]
I sampled the Shulman Sys at ITG as they were in the same room with GR Mpc's. !Muy interesante! device that does aid, but I have too many toys. Spent $$ on tpts., mpc's....
The Shulman "black bowtie" does "force" one to use proper posture, which "tuxes" the chin up, opening up the breathing.
btw, Yep, Shulman is a phenomenal player.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone asked to buy with a right of return if you don't like it? Based on everything I've seen (and I have seen it in person) and heard from owners, I'm pretty sure that I'd like it, but I hate to spend $200 when I'm not 100% sure.

I think it would be particularly useful to me since I play a heavy Monette C trumpet. After doing a lot of playing on my Yamaha Bb, I really notice the weight of the Monette in practicing. I can feel the muscles around my shoulder blades start to get tired and my right thumb also gets beaten up supporting the weight of the horn for extended periods of time (I had hand surgery a while back and it's never been as durable as before). This Shulman System looks like a good solution. I noticed that Shulman plays a Monette 900 series horn. Maybe he got tired of holding it up too!

Rich
Bri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a HUGE fan of the Shulman System!!
I have been using my Shulman System for a little over a year now and my playing has improved drastically! I use it religiously every day. I find it most affectvie with technical passages...as soon as I don't have to worry about keeping the horn up my fingers work much better! Worth every penny I spent on it!!!
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have personal experience with the device, but one of our grad students had major embouchure pressure problems, and he's used it for a couple of months now. The improvement has been amazing--this thing really does work. It IS expensive--come on, it's a peice of wood!--but it's definitely worth it. If I ever get the money to own one (you know how college goes), I'll definitely make the investment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: