• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Woody Shaw - Wow!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just revisiting the Woody Shaw collection of his CBS/Columbia recordings that were released a few years back by Mosaic. Woody was such a spiritual player. He really communicates with the listener. I think he was a great talent who often gets overlooked. I wish I could have seen him live.
1B
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I fully agree. Coincidentally, a small group jazz ensemble class I'm taking is working up some numbers, including Horace Silver's "Mexican Hip Dance," and I've just listened to it about 50 times in a row to try to get Woody's solo down. What a great tune! It's on the "Best of Horace Silver, Vol. 2."

I can't help but think of how tragic his death was. As you may know, he became ill and, toward the end, fell down some subway stairs in Brooklyn and his arm was severed by a train. He died not long after. What a loss!

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My very first Woody Shaw album was "Stepping Stones", and it's still one of my favorite. Outside of the Mosaic set, it hasn't yet been re-released, AFAIK.

Another one that is really cool is Dexter Gordon's "Homecoming", which is basically Dex with Woody and Woody's rhythm section. Woody is *smoking* all the way through the album, and they play enough standards that it's not a stretch for folks who are new to Woody's style to tap into the music.

I just started trying to transcribe his solos again. It's nasty! I'm used to being able to hear the stuff without checking against an instrument, but with Woody it's a whole different ballgame. He gets outside the change, but before you can register a key center he's moved somewhere else...and on top of that, he's pretty rhythmically advanced, too (IMO)...
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since reading these posts I've dug out my Mosaic Box Set and played all 3 CD's again. These recordings really are the best things Woody did and the whole package is beautifully presented.
Another great trumpeter/composer in the inside-outside style of Woody is the underecorded Baikida Carroll -- his CD's are well worth hunting down.
bluenote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff:

I totally agree with "Stepping Stones". I have that on record, but I keep waiting for it to be re-issued on CD. His solo on "In a Capricornian Way" is one of my favorites.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check him out on Hank Mobley's recently re-issued Thinking of Home disc. There's a lot of good music in there, plus Woody does some really gutsy playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: