• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clearing Horn w/o Water Key

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCBb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Clearing Horn w/o Water Key Reply with quote

Just picked up a Kanstul Chicago Bb a short while ago. Nice horn, I'm diggin it. But, it doesn't have a water key on the 3rd valve slide. I'm finding it cumbersome to go thru the horn gyrations (upwards, sideways, upside over and down) trying to get it to drain. I left a message at Kanstul about the possibility of buying a 3rd valve slide with a key, but never received an answer. Anyone have any tricks to share?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the end section of the slide pull out separately from the rest of the slide (a la Bach Strad)? If so, just pull it out to dump the water. If not, I'd have a water key installed on your 3rd slide.
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's like the old Benges, it's like Dale said. It should pull out for drainage.
Dave
flat.io
JCBb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: 3rd Valve Slide Reply with quote

No, unfortunately, it has a captive stop.
http://www.hornguys.com/Images/CHI%201000.jpg
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a dump slide. just hold onto the finger ring, and pull the end of the slide off. just like the Bach strads.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Valve Slide Reply with quote

JCBb wrote:
No, unfortunately, it has a captive stop.
http://www.hornguys.com/Images/CHI%201000.jpg

I'm talking about the very end of the slide - just the curved piece. See if it will pull out separately from the rest of the slide.
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the end of the third slide of my Bach Strad supposed to move? If so, it has been stuck for 19 years
Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975)
Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP
Getzen Eterna 940
Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
JCBb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Well, I'll be... Reply with quote

Yep, you're right!
See, now that's why I post here. Fast, accurate answers. Thanks!
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so now how do I unstuck mine?
Getzen Eterna 940
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brem wrote:
Is the end of the third slide of my Bach Strad supposed to move?

My Bb's all have removable end slides. However, my 239 C, which did not come with the threaded stop rod like my Bb has, does not have a dump slide. To my knowledge, that is ...

Bach's with a threaded stop rod should have a dump slide. If a threaded stop rod was added later, it is possible to not have the dump slide, I suppose.
MFMeow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brem wrote:
Is the end of the third slide of my Bach Strad supposed to move? If so, it has been stuck for 19 years

My Strad is a '74 not too far from yours (SN 1016xx). The end of my third slide comes off.

Kirsten
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
....However, my 239 C, which did not come with the threaded stop rod like my Bb has, does not have a dump slide. To my knowledge, that is ....

Mine doesn't, either, but it's an older one without any kind of stop mechanism on the 3rd valve slide. Without a stop, it's just as easy to pull the whole slide, anyway.

JCBb, glad to help, and glad you asked. It saved you some grief and/or expense down the line.

BTW, the dump slide on my Bb Strad was so hard to remove (and I worked with it a lot) that I took it to the local brass tech and had him install a Bach 3rd valve slide water key on it. Problem solved.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's soaking in WD-40 as we speak.
Getzen Eterna 940
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brem wrote:
It's soaking in WD-40 as we speak.

After the good soak, take the entire third slide off the horn, and thread some thick shoe string (or something similar - not too thin that will leave a crease in slide or hand) inside the crook and give it several good "pops". Hold on tight to the slide, and keep small children and breakable things away from the dump slide exit area (don't ask how I know that).

David
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahahah
Getzen Eterna 940
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptdaddy wrote:
... take the entire third slide off the horn, and thread some thick shoe string (or something similar - not too thin that will leave a crease in slide or hand) inside the crook and give it several good "pops". Hold on tight to the slide, and keep small children and breakable things away from the dump slide exit area (don't ask how I know that).

I got my first Schilke shortly after trying a very similar manuever on my Selmer light weight K Mod trumpet.

Trying to get the third slide loose after a summer on cornet, I ran a light wash cloth through the crook, tied it to a heating pipe at the top of the stairs and gave a pull. The slide came free with a single good tug -- that is, it broke free of the solder joints at the third valve and the whole thing came off. The recoil caused me to fall back and take a tumble down my basement stairs, most of the horn in hand. The slide, still stuck by the way, was not otherwise damaged but the third valve didn't work anymore and the bell and lead pipe looked like somebody had fallen down a stairway with it.

Tommy T.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few bucks and a trip to the service tech is a wiser investment with a better ROI at this point.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy t. wrote:
trptdaddy wrote:
... take the entire third slide off the horn, and thread some thick shoe string (or something similar - not too thin that will leave a crease in slide or hand) inside the crook and give it several good "pops". Hold on tight to the slide, and keep small children and breakable things away from the dump slide exit area (don't ask how I know that).

I got my first Schilke shortly after trying a very similar manuever on my Selmer light weight K Mod trumpet.

Trying to get the third slide loose after a summer on cornet, I ran a light wash cloth through the crook, tied it to a heating pipe at the top of the stairs and gave a pull. The slide came free with a single good tug -- that is, it broke free of the solder joints at the third valve and the whole thing came off. The recoil caused me to fall back and take a tumble down my basement stairs, most of the horn in hand. The slide, still stuck by the way, was not otherwise damaged but the third valve didn't work anymore and the bell and lead pipe looked like somebody had fallen down a stairway with it.

Tommy T.

Is that when you found out the K-Mod's don't have dump slides?

David
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clearing Horn w/o Water Key Reply with quote

JCBb wrote:
Just picked up a Kanstul Chicago Bb a short while ago. Nice horn, I'm diggin it. But, it doesn't have a water key on the 3rd valve slide. I'm finding it cumbersome to go thru the horn gyrations (upwards, sideways, upside over and down) trying to get it to drain. I left a message at Kanstul about the possibility of buying a 3rd valve slide with a key, but never received an answer. Anyone have any tricks to share?

Hello,

I'm sorry I haven't seen your email yet.

The third slide is made with a "pull" (or, as some have referred to it here, as a "dump" slide)

If you want to buy a new slide with the water key, call us at (714) 563-1000. We can also provide you with a water key that a technician could install for you, or you could just send us the slide and we'll put a water key on it for you.

regards,

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: