• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Feedback: Bach Chicago C or Yamaha Chicago C? Reply with quote

I'm curious for feedback for those that have played these horns and have opinions on ease of playability, flexibility, quality of build and sound of both.

From what I read they are both very good horns with the Bach being around $1000. less that the Yamaha. Is the Yamaha $1000. more of an instrument based on your opinion? I just got the Bach and really like it but i'm also just getting familiar with it as it is a different animal than my Bbs.

Wedding and church playing is the majority of what I plan to use the C for. Never a shortage of opinions here so please share your thoughts.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Thanks.
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602

Last edited by 65strad on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpellett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the Bach is $1000 more of an instrument than the Yamaha. I have no idea why it's the Yamaha that costs more.

Jason Pellett
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Yamaha Chicago and sold it, soft playing lacked sparkle and high register was tight. Played a Chicago Bach and thought it was just ok. Re-built my old LB/229 with a Melk pipe and slides by MK Drawing (Dr. V did the work, also a valve overhaul and double silver plate..) and I have the best C I've ever played.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to play on 2 Bach Chicago C's the day before yesterday. A local professor wanted one, and we played them vs his C ( early 2000s 256/25H with pitchfinder & valve alignment) and mine (1990s 229GH/25H). One Bach Chicago C was notably better playing than the other overall, so I'll use that one as the reference horn. The sound is brilliant, attacks loud and soft are crisp, and the highs and lows are great!

He's keeping that horn. It "beat" his 256/25H in every aspect, from sound quality, depth/core of sound, ease of playing in every regard tested, tonal colors etc. My 229GH/25H came out quite well, seeming to have a notably larger tonal core but less brilliance, and having a more "open" blow. The Bach Chicago also seems to have excellent slotting and overall intonation. I felt like I was using a bit more pressure than on my horn.

He used to have a Yamaha Chicago C as well, which had been obtained from a major NYC player right here on TH. It played nicely (attacks, intonation) but the sound just didn't hack it. It seemed to lack the depth, character and flexibility of a good Bach. (again, as per my comments in another thread, these "negative" to me are actually big "positives" to others)

So, there's a few more pennies to add to the mix...

(posting this from my Treo while at Thanksgiving dinner)

65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm enjoying this horn. Although C's are new to me I'm starting to settle in and find my balance. Interesting how the responses are consistent regarding the Bach sound being the common denominator vs. the Yamaha Chicago C.

Amazing that the Bach is $1,000. or so less, or more amazing that the Yamaha is $1,000. or so more than the Bach. Yamaha is a fine horn, but a G whiz different? Not for my budget.

Time will tell, but it seems as though Bach pretty much hit a home run with these horns as long as it is a good one that is chosen. Not a bad effort considering that this is a significantly different horn altogether from the other Bach C's. Something "new/innovative" isn't something Bach is known for in general, but this one hit the spot for me.
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831

Last edited by 65strad on Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Strad "07"
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65strad wrote:
Thanks for the great feedback. I'm enjoying this horn. Although C's are new to me I'm starting to settle in and find my balance. Interesting how the responses are consistent regarding the Bach sound being the common denominator vs. the Yamaha Chicago C.

Amazing that the Bach is $1,000. or so less, or more amazing that the Yamaha is $1,000. or so more than the Bach. Yamaha is a fine horn, but a G whiz different? Not for my budget.

Time will tell, but it seems as though Bach pretty much hit a home run with these horns as long as it is a good one that is chosen. Not a bad effort considering that this is a significantly different horn altogether from the other Bach C's. Something "new/inovative" isn't something Bach is known for in general, but this one hit the spot for me.

Where did you get this horn?

Bach 37 with Blackburn 19-348 leadpipe
Bach CL 239/25H
Rudy Mück Citation
Schilke E3L
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where did you get this horn?

Dillon Music in Woodbridge NJ. Ask for Jim McCombs and tell him I said thanks for the great service! Phone 732.634.3399

http://www.dillonmusic.com/Brass.aspx?pid=2
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
Strad "07"
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. Did you go in person or did you have it sent to you? Also do you know how many they had in stock?

Bach CL 239/25H
Rudy Mück Citation
Schilke E3L
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, glad to share the joy. I live about 45 minutes from there and I go usually once or twice a month. Its a virtual candy shop for trumpet players. You never who will be there when you walk in. Maybe Jon Faddis, Claudio Roditi or even Phil Smith. It's regarded as one of, if not the finest brass shop in the country for good reason, and no I'm not on their payroll.

I had been contemplating a C trumpet for a while, and I got my name on their list, and in time I got a call when they received a shipment and I went right down. Not sure of the currect availability though. I suspect that they usually arrive, then go out the door as fast as they come in.
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a yamaha chicago C and have played a Bach chicago C that belongs to a friend.

I personally preferred my yamaha, although definitely not overwhelmingly so. I believe he felt the same about his new Bach. They are both good horns I suppose, and the only way to see what works better for you is to play them both.

I am guessing bach players will probably like it alot, and it may convert a few players (back) to bach (from) yamaha. keep in mind the yamaha artist models have done more than their share of 'converting' players to the dark side in the short time they've been available.

and of course, everyone will still play the way they always do, and will sound very much like themselves again after a week or so...
Strad "07"
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eb1ch wrote:
keep in mind the yamaha artist models have done more than their share of 'converting' players to the dark side in the short time they've been available.

Phil Smith is the Luke Skywalker of Bach.

Bach CL 239/25H
Rudy Mück Citation
Schilke E3L
burgerbob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strad "07" wrote:
eb1ch wrote:
keep in mind the yamaha artist models have done more than their share of 'converting' players to the dark side in the short time they've been available.

Phil Smith is the Luke Skywalker of Bach.

And Bob Malone is the Lord Sith of Yamaha?

I had a Yamaha Chicago C for two days (long story... will relate in a moment) and, a direct quote from my brass teacher (a proffesional for around thirty years, who now leads a college band program), who said- "This is the best C trumpet I have ever played". I brought it to him for kicks, he played some scales to see about the intonation ("much better than that old Strad C I've been using"-another quote) then some arpeggios up to double (yep) C. After the double C, he said- "wow, I have never been able to play like that on a C". To say the least, he liked this horn. And he plays an older Strad 72LR for all his playing.

As for how I got Yamaha's top C horn...
I ordered a YEP-642 euphonium from Music123, we watched it online go through the rigors, and I saw that the package only wieghed 7lbs. I wondered, but didn't really think about it. So the UPS van pulled up to my house, finally, and i saw the delivery guy haul the box up to my steps. I saw Yamaha Trumpet/Trompette on the side, and i thought... uh oh. So i got the box inside, it had the array of options of horns (all of the Artists series ones) and it was checked YTR-9445CHS. I went, well, I have kind of wanted to play this exact horn since i saw that Yamaha was coming out with them on the website. I don't get a euphonium (due to this mixup, i actually ended up with an 842S, the model up from the 642S). So i opened up the packaging and then the case (my reasoning being, I ordered a euphonium. They sent me a trumpet. They have to take it back, or give me 2 grand to make up for the difference.) So i took it out and played it for two days, on the 17C4 (i think) mouthpiece that came with it. It was really fun to play.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double C on a C trumpet? I don't know what to say.....
Steve Allison
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fallen in with a Yamaha 9335 Chicago (Bb) and at first I wasn't too sure about it but the more I play it the more I'm warming up to it. It's hard to describe, difficult to compare to any other trumpet I've played and certainly any of the other regular Yamahas (which are fine horns but I'm not personally all that crazy about them). I'm not totally for sure yet but I think I might be falling in love...
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Bradley wrote:
I've fallen in with a Yamaha 9335 Chicago (Bb) and at first I wasn't too sure about it but the more I play it the more I'm warming up to it. It's hard to describe, difficult to compare to any other trumpet I've played and certainly any of the other regular Yamahas (which are fine horns but I'm not personally all that crazy about them). I'm not totally for sure yet but I think I might be falling in love...

I know a couple of other good players that feel the same about the Chicago, I have a NY that I find exceptional. Couldn't fit into a Chicago (too narrow a sweet spot for me) but the NY has the sound etc. I like.
Warm and projects, some nice thickness to the sound. Best Bach I've ever played!!
burgerbob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Double C on a C trumpet? I don't know what to say.....
Steve Allison

He first did an A arpeggio up to double A, then went, hmm... and did a C arpeggio to double C. And played a couple jazz licks, saying, "this is the least 'C' trumpet playing C trumpet I have seen!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: