• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

conversion to saxophone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haybale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have probably read my posts on my top teeth touching my bottom lip and stoping the vibration. My tone was getting better, but that was because I created a huge aperture. Thus, when I played higher than an F in the staff, nothing but air would come out. My question is, if I have had this problem for nearly a year, should I convert to the saxophone because I love Jazz, and have devoloped an awesome ear. It is not like I will totally quit the trumpet, because I have to play it in school but how will I ever truly succeed in trumpet if my tone is poor and I can't play high much more than 5 minutes, nobody will want to listen to me.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how high "high" is, but tone will win over high notes in the long run.

As for you problem, sounds like your playing with too spread an embouchure and/or not enough air support, but the answer is really to get a good teacher and work it out. Try moving your lower jaw back so your bottom teeth don't touch your top lip. As a matter of fact, try thinking of pushing the horn away from you as you play so there's no lip to tooth contact. Try buzzing with only the mpc -- anything to provide a new stimulus and get the creative juices flowing.

There are plenty of sax players. Trumpet has a greater range of tonal colors and is more fun!

FWIW - Don

p.s. Did I mention to get a good teacher?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: