• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fourth Space E problem

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem Slurring the interval from 2nd line G to 4th space E. Can't hit 4th line E clean. Tried alternate fingering too. Funny thing, I can interval 2nd line G to G at top of staff cleaner!! What gives with that?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you play the E cleanly and in tune when you aren't slurring from G, such as playing C, C#, D, D#, E? Or down from G, F#, F, E? If not, you may have an issue with your horn and should take it to your local repair shop to have it evaluated.

If it isn't an issue with the trumpet itself (such as valves out of alignment, loose brace), try putting a slip of paper around your mouthpiece shank before you insert it into the receiver. That increases the gap. Does it make your issue worse?

It should only take a minute or so to confirm that there isn't an issue with the trumpet or with mouthpiece gap. Assuming there isn't, there are a few approaches to try to help you get that E to slot.

First, you may not be hearing the pitch correctly. Try playing G to E (concert F to concert D) a few times on the piano, piano app or tone app. You want to be able to "hear" those pitches really well. Then try to play it on the trumpet.

You can also try to slur G-C-E-C-G a few times and then skip the C the last time. Or try tonguing G-E a few times and then slur G-E the last time. Or slur from second line G up to the G atop the staff using G (open), C (open), E (1&2) and G (open). Do that a few times and then try the E open a few times and finally skip the C.

Or try slurring second space A to fourth space E using 1 & 2 for both notes a few times then play the E open a few times, then play G instead of A the final time.

Good luck!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow practice to get the feel (and habit) of doing 'everything' that goes into playing the notes. Each one is a little different, and you need to have everything 'just right' to make an immediate clean sound.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I wasn't happy about the sound I created when playing a c in the middle of the staff. About 4 months ago I decided to change my attitude. "From now on" I said to myself "This is going to be your favourite note on the Trumpet"
cheers Steve
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55YrComeback

Here is another Subject Post that is somewhat related.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=164035
Trumpets have notes that are not in tune.

The fact that you are having problems is probably a good thing - your ear knows what the note should sound like and you are automatically trying to play it in tune. The "in tune" note is not in where you expect it to be. Alternate fingerings are not in tune either and require you to have your 1st or 3rd slides in the exact position at the time you attack the note.

You can either practice it over and over and retrain or you can look to an equipment solution - things like, less mouthpiece gap. (If you try the slip of paper trick suggested by another poster and it gets worse - you probably need less gap.) Backbores with shorter throats, O rings on the bottom valve caps etc. These solutions don't fix the intonation problem but give you a bigger sweet spot to land on if you can hear the correct pitch in your head.
55Yr Comback

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andy. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away. I'm going to try the gap trick & see how that works. Thanks
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55Yr Comback wrote:
Hello Andy. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away. I'm going to try the gap trick & see how that works. Thanks

Note: the slip of paper trick increases gap so if it gets worse you know you need less gap.

It would help to know what mouthpiece you are using and brand of trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: