• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Your First Love

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Your First Love Reply with quote

Alright.

What was the first horn that you fell in love with?

Mine has to be my Cannonball. Absolutely love it, the sound, how versatile it is, how it changes depending on the tuning slide or mouthpiece, the feel, the finish, etc. I've had many great horns in the past (many a lot more expensive), but I've found home with this one (at least for a while haha).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Silver Flair (1055), high school, 1969.
Wish I still had it!

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
King Silver Flair (1055), high school, 1969.
Wish I still had it!

Brad

1966 silver flair I still have my first pro horn bought new for 435$
. Just put a large yellow lightweight Eclipse bell on it and it’s my best lead horn and 3rd best horn I own and I’ve got about 9 real players I’ve accumulated. I’m not sure people really appreciate the quality of this horn. The bell replacement improved the horn, but it’s also one of the best bells made. If you can find a 1055 you should pick one up, valves the best I’ve played. I’ve never played one better than mine but I’ve played 20 or so over the years and all were superior. The only 2 horns above it are a very expensive Eclipse with a Britannia silver bell and an extremely rare Leblanc/courtois Roger Delmonte .468 bore with a strait thru valve block. These 3 can cover any music and sound I can play so these will stay with me to the end. It’s nice to know I’m done buying horns( wife says to sell some👹)
Rod
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Golden Flair (1077, mid 70's vintage), purchased used 2010

I started looking for one of these after reading about how they were the product of a design exercise by King Musical Instruments to reverse engineer and improve on one of the Candoli brothers' Martin Committees. KMI came up with a very lightweight horn with a unique valve block (it had plated aluminum valve caps and buttons), bell, and leadpipe (Charlie Melk told me he never saw a leadpipe design like that before).

I finally found a lacquered one on eBay, bought it, and asked Charlie to restore it. I loved how it played so much that I bought a second silver plated one in 2013 that Charlie also worked on.

Neither one needed a valve rebuild; the valves feel very similar to Schilke valves -- fast, tight, and silky smooth. They both are perfect for the kind of small group jazz I favor. If I had to summarize the way they play in a couple of words, I'd say "intimate and expressive".

Does that sound like love?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen eterna 850 cornet , back in 1998 , still my main cornet.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Your First Love Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
Alright.

What was the first horn that you fell in love with?

Mine has to be my Cannonball. Absolutely love it, the sound, how versatile it is, how it changes depending on the tuning slide or mouthpiece, the feel, the finish, etc. I've had many great horns in the past (many a lot more expensive), but I've found home with this one (at least for a while haha).

King Super 20 Symphony DB. Bought it 1970. Only love! Sorry to say I´m cheating on it since one year and a half....buying a Yamaha 6335 RC.
Why? An effort to halt my ageing ´cause the Yammie is somewhat easier to play - makes me feel young again. Self-betrayal? Who knows but it sure helps me.
But the King is unsurpassed in its tonal quality, versatility and core, tuning. Actually it was love at first playing.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough question. It's been a long while since I got my first trumpet from my parents, and I'm not quite sure how I felt about it back then (being the stereotypical teenager). Maybe I was 'merely excited', maybe it was more, maybe less? I don't know anymore. The loaner cornet I played before that I can barely remember, though I still know what the case looked like. These days, I appreciate those instruments for getting me started and what we've been through together. But whether I really loved playing them...it's been a frustrating and depressive 2 decades when I played them, so I cannot tell.

But I do know that my current trumpet, an Olds Recording, is the one that made me fall in love with trumpet playing. It kinda showed me how trumpet playing could be, and kick-started a change in technique, gear and attitude that made me a much more appreciative player. Not to mention that it has given me a semblance of mental balance and focus.

Whenever I open its case (a nice chocolate brown Protec CT, with purple velvet padding on the inside), the various metal colors of its unique patina sparkle in the morning sun (or evening ceiling lights). The replica Olds badge on the inside, and the sci-fi badges I added on the outside are the perfect addition to accentuate its curvy shape and lean body. The bronze of bell with the still pristine engraving complete the picture and just make you want to play it. And then you do, and the nicest smooth jazz sounds come out of it, or bright tonal colors for classical music, or powerful upbeat funk or pop music, depending on the mood you're in.

Yeah, I guess you could say I'm in love with it.
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri Selmer B700L that my mother gave me for my 50th birthday in 1988, which now has been surpassed by my 2020 Jerome Wiss 6/20, the last horn I will own.

Regards, Stuart.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burbank Benge 5X, 6xxx.
Got it in high school 1967 and played it for 30 years. I wore it out.
It had everything a great Benge is known for and was extraordinarily versatile.
I never found a Benge that played like that except a few redone Chicago Benges and they were out of my price range.
R. Tomasek
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Connstellation
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few loves in my life. I briefly had a Bach strad trumpet in high school till my dad took it back. Was my first pro horn. When I joined the army I purchased a King Silver flair. That was my really first love. When I got out of the army and I started back on trumpet as music therapy to deal with my TBI's and such I purchased a HN White King Super 20 Symphony Silversonic. Lost it with divorce. Got back into it about 6 years ago and purchased a Bach lr180s72. in 2018 bad times hit again and I had to take out a loan on it. Just got it back yesterday and taking it to get cleaned and detailed tomorrow and see if it needs any work. Hopefully start working with Rich Willey again soon as I miss playing and really need the therapy. Hopefully I never have to get rid of them again. Id like to get a super 20 silversonic and a 1055t silver flair again.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my first trumpet, a 1980 Blessing Scholastic. My parents bought it new for me when I was eight years old and I still have it - just had it out today, actually. There are better horns but I have played it full time for 12 years before moving on.

It looks the part, the bell has been mounted askew by the factory and by now it has a red rot leadpipe with the rot visible through the silver plate, the silver plate is gone at many places, the valve block shows heavy pitting, but the horn is still tight. I even had it out on a gig just before corona hit.

It reminds me of my first big band, my first pop/soul band, music camps, etc. I even recorded with it and played what could be the largest amateur jazz fest in Switzerland with it. So despite the issues this horn is not for sale.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love is such a fleeting thing.
- I owned a Kanstul 1500 that I though was my be all end all, until I lucked up on an Akright 'Blackbyrd'. I really thought that was love, until my friend made a large bore Severinson/Akright Bel Canto for me. This horn is my voice. Prof said the trumpet in my hand should reflect my imagination. This one does that. For so many reasons, I will never part with this horn.
-The Adams F1 with nickel/silver bell flare is another that will always be kept close. I've a late 40's early 50's Olds Super tenor trombone that I am learning my way around ... thinking it's a keeper too.
- Bryan Morgan at 'Best Instrument Repair' has been building & modifying a trumpet for me that is different than any other I've played. Each evolution is better than the previous one.
Each one holds a place all its own.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
King Silver Flair . . .

Rod Haney wrote:
1966 silver flair . . .

Halflip wrote:
King Golden Flair . . .

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
King Super 20 Symphony DB . . .

chef8489 wrote:
. . . King Silver Flair . . . HN White King Super 20 Symphony Silversonic . . .

oliver king wrote:
. . .
(Yeah, I'm REALLY cheating on this last one, but I just couldn't resist)

"He that plays the King shall be welcome . . . " (Hamlet Act II, Scene 2, Line 1416)
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
King Silver Flair . . .

Rod Haney wrote:
1966 silver flair . . .

Halflip wrote:
King Golden Flair . . .

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

chef8489 wrote:

oliver king wrote:

"He that plays the King shall be welcome . . . " (Hamlet Act II, Scene 2, Line 1416)

Yep I need to get the Kings back. I do love my bach 72 but the classic King and Hn White horns are a step above. Heck my beginner horn was a King 600 and it got me through almost anything.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
King Silver Flair . . .

Rod Haney wrote:
1966 silver flair . . .

Halflip wrote:
King Golden Flair . . .

Seymor B Fudd wrote:

chef8489 wrote:

oliver king wrote:
. . .

You should have resisted.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Your first love.... Reply with quote

My Benge 5x serial number 10xxx purchased in '74, I guess. The test anything I ever played or was lucky enough to own. In that I agree with another commentary on Benge. Also, the Getzen Eterna cornet used in college. Just a delight to play and it made me a better player. I am not surprised to see the King Silver Flair on many people's list.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Connstellation

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BENGE Claude Gordon 1977 !!!!

Couldn't put it down. Had the case 1 foot from my bed and would wake up every hour or so, open the case, look at it and run the valves through some scales. Did this for the first 4 or 5 months I got it.

Still have the horn, case, and most of the BENGE accessory goodie pack !!!

Ahhhhh...young love at it's finest.
[/b]
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver king wrote:
You should have resisted.

(sigh) You're right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: