• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blessing Super Artist trumpet vs. cornet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Blessing Super Artist trumpet vs. cornet Reply with quote

OK, I’m looking at the two horns in the subject line, both are the Clifford B model with the underslung ring on the third valve slide, both are 1940s models. Both appear to be in great shape with the cornet having lost most of its original lacquer but a little nicer engraving and the trumpet having most of the lacquer left but a somewhat more generic engraving.

Why is the cornet 1000 bucks cheaper?

Being a big Clifford fan, I of course want to have them both but there is also this really nice Selmer Radial out there in a local marketplace (y‘all know that part of the story ).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact it’s a cornet may have something to do with that. They seem to be less popular than trumpets and hence they’re often cheaper (used).
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand that cornets are cheaper, smaller market, less popular, „special“ instrument and so on. I just wonder if it’s worth to spend a grand more just to have the trumpet. Plus taking into account that a long cornet basically sounds like a trumpet.
1977 Conn 6B
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t give you insight on that decision I’m afraid as I haven’t played either one. Does either horn fill a particular gap in your collection or is there a good chance they’re gonna compete for specific parts/gigs (either between them or any other horns in your collection)?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not really a collector, so my collection (?) is what is in the signature plus my 1980 Blessing Scholastic, which is my first horn, plus a yellow pTrumpet, which is my travel horn to practice when I am on business trips or on vacation.

There are very few horns that I would really be interested enough to consider a purchase and for very non-coherent reasons:

A Super Artist, because CB is my first trumpet hero. His way of hard bop playing together with Art Peppers alto playing is where I come from musically (but can’t play it, because it is so darn difficult - I keep practicing Joy Spring over and over and can’t get it right ).

A Selmer Radial because I just think they are so cool with the valves, the engraving and the attitude.

An Edwards X-13 because it may be the best horn I ever played besides my Martin Schmidt rotary.

A really good bass trumpet to replace the current horn because I REALLY like playing the bass trumpet.

There are a few other horns that I have been looking at as a replacement for my Bach, but this will only be relevant once my Bach really collapses and it’s not quite there yet.

So, you see, there is no very logical explanation, just the fact that both the Selmer and the SA cornet and trumpet popped up at essentially the same time.
1977 Conn 6B
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Yeah, I understand that cornets are cheaper, smaller market, less popular, „special“ instrument and so on. I just wonder if it’s worth to spend a grand more just to have the trumpet. Plus taking into account that a long cornet basically sounds like a trumpet.

A long cornet does share some characteristics with a trumpet. I've in fact called them small trumpets. But the tonal characteristics are not the same. Even played with the same mouthpiece cup measurement, the cornet will favor different overtones. Probably due to that, the cornet will not project as well and will lack the brighter high overtones that you get with a trumpet.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have not played (any) cornet in 30 years so there must be a lot of people with more experience (which would be an argument to buy the Super Artist cornet ) but honestly I think the sound differences between trumpet and long cornet are minor.

I mean, who is REALLY able to identify a long cornet in a blindfold test? The kings of the long cornet such as Nat Adderley, Muggsy, or Bix sound rather trumpety to me, Bix less so. The one exception that comes to (my) mind is Bobby Hackett, here I indeed do think that there is a difference. Possibly Warren Vache as well but I have never heard those guys live.

Things may be different with shepherds crook cornets which I admittedly have never played. Ain’t that embrassasing?
1977 Conn 6B
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real problem is that it will be you who will hear the difference even if the sound differences between trumpet and long cornet are minor and that will not necessarily be a happy experience, the more that you seem not to be a cornet lover.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are mistaken. The region and time I grew up was essentially a “cornet is for beginners and nothing else” situation. As there are not and have never been any brass bands (or shall we say, cornet-leaning musical entities) in any of the places I lived and worked (number of cities in Switzerland, Germany, France, US) there simply has never been an opportunity or need to have a cornet.

I think cornets are cool but I also think I don’t want to have anything that will collect dust. So really just having a cornet without using it bugs me too much. Our house is full of stuff already …
1977 Conn 6B
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why am I mistaken?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet is more expensive than the cornet for two primary reasons:

1. Trumpets are more desired and therefore bring a higher price.
2. The Blessing Super Artist trumpet is an historical model, especially the version with the underslung third valve slide ring, because Clifford Brown played that model.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Delano: in that you jump to the premature conclusion that I would not appreciate a cornet.

@Hermowiki: I understand CB was a trumpeter. But would that warrant 1000 USD more in price over the cornet? Maybe an additional aspect is that here in Europe we don’t get to see Blessing Artists and Super Artists very often. They seem to be rather rare birds over here.
1977 Conn 6B
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
@Delano: in that you jump to the premature conclusion that I would not appreciate a cornet.

That's something only you can really tell. But from what you write, it does seem like you're more interested in it for the historical/coolness value than actual playing (again, I might be mistaken).

As such, you might want to consider whether having a cornet that looks like CB's trumpet is good enough, or whether you'd rather have the real deal.

I recently got an Olds Super cornet for all the wrong reasons. It was cheap, I loved the bell ring on the Olds Supers, the wrap is cool, I envisioned using it as a pocket trumpet alternative during travels, a backup horn, and as a flugelhorn alternative. I didn't consider (enough) when and where I would be playing it. Sure enough, it's a very nice horn, but anywhere I would play it, I found I'd rather play my trumpet instead. It's a very bright sounding cornet (certainly no flugel), a little bigger than the average cornet and a lot heavier (so no easy travel). In hindsight I might've been better off with a sheperd's crook cornet for what I planned to use it for. I don't want to sell it, but like you I'm no collector so in the future, I'll probably let it go.

The above may not apply to you of course, but it may be worth considering when choosing between the 3 horns you're looking at. Would you rather get 1 that you'll play regularly, or 2-3 that may end up on your wall?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ hibidogrulez, you got it. As cool as all these horns are, I’d very much dislike not playing them. If I had the money I’d buy all of them, two Blessings and three Selmers that are within my personal reach right now, and just keep the single one I really like, I guess. We’ll see.
1977 Conn 6B
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

I did not jump to any conclusion but I commented on your premature conclusion that the sound of a trumpet and a long cornet will not differ enough to notice. But maybe I did not understand your question which might be no question after all.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember talking to a retired pro player about the difference between cornets and trumpets. I’ve never forgotten his thoughts…
‘Everything I can do on the cornet, I can do on the trumpet. But I can’t do everything on the cornet that I can do on the trumpet.’

For me, the cornet requires more finesse. I keep thinking, ‘If I can back off the air movement just a bit more, I’ll have my trumpet range on the cornet…’ But I can’t quite make it happen.

One thing is certain; vintage cornets are more often bargains than vintage trumpets, and the above responses by other contributors detail why.

Great thread, Brassnose. Maybe buy both?
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:

@Hermowiki: I understand CB was a trumpeter. But would that warrant 1000 USD more in price over the cornet? Maybe an additional aspect is that here in Europe we don’t get to see Blessing Artists and Super Artists very often. They seem to be rather rare birds over here.

Usually a Blessing Super Artist trumpet in good condition is $1,000 or less. So, your description that you found one that is $1,000 more than a Super Artist cornet indicates to me that the Super Artist trumpet you found is way overpriced. The difference in value between a Super Artist trumpet and a Super Artist cornet in good condition should be maybe $300 or so.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

2. The Blessing Super Artist trumpet is an historical model, especially the version with the underslung third valve slide ring, because Clifford Brown played that model.

If I remember well Clifford Brown also played a Blessing Super Artist cornet for quite some time so that one should have the same historical worth.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

If I remember well Clifford Brown also played a Blessing Super Artist cornet for quite some time so that one should have the same historical worth.

I see that the cornet is mentioned on the Player/Horn combination page but there is, to my knowledge, no record of any recording made by Clifford on the cornet and no photos of him holding the cornet. Do you know of any facts or photos to the contrary?

Clifford's professional recording career was less than 3 years and he played trumpet on all his recordings during that time so the cornet is irrelevant to his legacy. To be specific, his first recording under his name was on June 9, 1953 with the Lou Donaldson/Clifford Brown quintet and his last recording under his name was on February 17, 1956 with the Clifford Brown/Max Roach quintet.

Miles Davis played several different trumpets before settling on the Martin Committee and he recorded with some of them but because he is so associated with the Martin Committee none of the other trumpets carry any premium as historical "Miles" instruments.

The same holds true for Clifford Brown and the Super Artist cornet. It has no "Clifford" value and no one in their right mind would pay a "Clifford" premium for one. The only exception would be one that can be documented as having been owned and played by Clifford and even that would be questionable since he is so associated with the Super Artist trumpet.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Hermowiki, indeed, they want 1700 bucks for the trumpet - partly it may be the fact that they very rarely show up in Europe. I still find it overpriced …
1977 Conn 6B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: