• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chop Problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while know I've been noticing something weird about my playing. Everyday when I warm up there comes a point when I slur my way from low G# to a top of the staff G and I've noticed that when I do that slur I usually start out with my usually lip set up wich is the allot of top lip and barely any bottom lip. By the time I get to the top G I find my bottom lip .... how do I explain this...

Well I guess you could say that my bottom lip starts to form a clamp or it starts to roll and creates a much tighter and secure lip set up.
This happends whenever I do a 8va slur like from middle C to high C ext.

I do not make my bottom lip do that on purpose they just do it by themselves. I can't help it.

I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I was thinking that this might happend because maybe we use different lip set ups for different registers.

I've been noticing this for a while know. And also the other day I was playing trumpet and I looked at my self in a mirror and I noticed that my chop set up starts out in the middle then it moves a little toward the top right part of my lips. I just thought it was a little weird.

The lower lip rolling doesn't really hurt my playing except that it feels weird and I have a tough time doing stuff because I'm not use to the set up. And the lip set up moving to the upper right part of my lips doesn't affect my playing one bit.

Some info you might want to know is that I play a Bach 6C mouthpiece, I did the Claude Gordon studies last year for a while, I currently do Herbert L. Clarke Technical studies exercises ( I've been working allot with the first exercise ) and arban's exercises.

Thanks for any help.

http://trumpeter.cjb.net
Trumpet Resource Site

Discussion Board:
http://pub19.ezboard.com/ftrumpet25901frm1

trjeam@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2003-02-16 19:56 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: