• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lesson with Pops

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my all-day lesson with Pops last Sat. Wow! I had heard about things he had other guys do--like play parts of Arban exercises up an octave and doing 2 1/2 octave jumps. I figured that was for players more advanced than I. Well, he did have me play parts of Arban up an octave and I did make 2 1/2 octave jumps. He also had me PLAYING music up to high D and E--not just hitting the notes. When I do it right, it just isn't hard.

My mouth is still tired from the lesson! Even with all that--which will go away in a couple days--my wife says I don't even sound like the same player. She says my high notes are no longer strained.

At age 42, my adventure has just begun.

BTW, I highly recommend Pops.

Blaine
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have heard wonderful things about Pops and his lessons! Guess I need to start saving up for my all day lesson as well...I'm presently going through one of the "paralysis by analysis" periods!! YUCK!
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Pops on 2003-05-13 13:42 ]
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. I'm starting to think that whatever pops does is the real deal. Since I don't live anywhere near texas I'll probably have to check out your books to see what's up.

I already waster 40 bucks on a certain balanced embouchure book a while ago that didn't work for me so it wouldn't hurt to see what you have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Batmann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you don't think your time with your last method of study was a waste of money or time? This question is only posed to get you to understand that bashing what did not work for you should be done on an equal level. If you bought "The Balanced Embouchure" you must have not been happy with results from the other books promoted by the ______ _________ method. You should also state that the _________ ________ method was a waste of money also. I wish you success in all that you do.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations George!

You are the first person to say that my book was a waste of money. Although I am reluctant to sell books to really young students, I don't always have direct control over sales, as I have distributors. Even so, I will do my best to make it work if the player emails me with questions and progress reports. I don't charge for this, as it is just part of the deal.

I think that you emailed me once.

If you send it back, I will be happy to issue a refund.

BTW - as you go through your embouchure safari, consider the idea of commitment.

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sell my lips to be able to take a lesson with Pops...

B&B
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trjeam wrote:
Quote:
I already waster 40 bucks on a certain balanced embouchure book a while ago that didn't work for me so it wouldn't hurt to see what you have to say.
This surprises me from you George. I too have the book (my WONDERFUL wife got it for me for a Christmas present) and although I'm not seeing instant results with it, I have made some progress in that I seem to have better endurance, my upper range is coming a bit easier and everthing seems to be a bit less forced. You are a Sophomore in HS right? When I was your age, if I didn't see results within about a week, I gave up on it. I have since learned that improving certain aspects of your playing can take YEARS, not merely weeks or even months. I couldn't consistenly play anything above high C until I was about 26 and although things still aren't as good as I would like them to be, my chops are continuing to become more efficient.

Back to the subject at hand, Pops and his methods of teaching, I went out on a limb and started to do the pencil exercise. I haven't noticed anything spectacular yet, but I've only been doing it for a little over a week.

One last thing that I thought I would mention is the guy that I know that uses Superchops. This guy did nothing else for just over an entire year before it started to come around for him and he was successful with it. Don't give up until you know for certain that things aren't going to work. It's like lifting weights. You have to do it for a while before you start to see any major results.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about Pops is that he finds what works for YOU. There are a lot of common elements among various embochures, but not every method works for everyone. If it did we'd all sound like Doc, or Maynard, or Don Jacoboby, or Harry James......... Because Pops has been doing this a while, he can quickly analyze what you need and give appropriate instruction. Teaching is part gift, part skill, part analysis, and part motivation--Pops has all these traits. Also, he can do what he teaches. After a three-week layoff, he played a triple C for me. The neighborhood dogs started howling. It was great!

I am a credible source for saying all that, because for 8 of my 19+ years as a USAF pilot, I have been an instructor pilot. My current job is teaching guys how to be instructors in USAF jets. Saying it another way, I am teaching the teachers. So when Pops talks about how realtively quick he can help guys dramatically improve their playing, I can relate because I can teach most folksto land a jet in a very short amount of time. It sounds hard, but because I have been doing this for a while, I know what works, what works well, what doesn't work, and what mistakes you are likely to make. No, I can't make you into a "virtuoso" pilot unless you have some God-given skills and talent, but I can help make you better than you ever thought you could be--just like Pops will do for you with trumpet.

BTW, I don't think it is a waste to try a method that doesn't work. It only becomes a waste when we spend years dilligently working and practicing but don't make any progress. I heard this from a politician, but it is very true:

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Now I'm not saying you should change approaches every month if you don't see immediate results, but there should be a time limit you set when it's time to move on. I don't know what this time limit is--6 months, a year, 2 years? The great thing about studying with Pops is he can greatly shorten the time it takes to find the method that works for you. Spending $400 buck for an airline ticket, paying for a half day or all day lesson, plus a hotel bill may seem like a lot to pay. However, is that really so much more than spending 5, 10, 20 years with little progress, going through method after method?

Okay, enough of this or I'll start to sound like I'm brown-nosing!

Blaine
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

I wasted $40 bucks on an Arbans. I know how you feel. I'll trade you and handle shipping.

edit-- perfect shape. hardly used.

[ This Message was edited by: mark936 on 2003-02-19 22:33 ]
Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sell my lips and three fingers on my right hand to take a lesson from Pops...
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to give up your fingers or lips to take a lesson from Pops. You can fly to Dallas from practically anywhere these days for a couple of hundred bucks. He charges $400 for a six-hour lesson.

I learned more in my six hours than I did in 60 hours with several other teachers who charged an average of $30 an hour. Do the math. Pops is the real deal and his rate is a bargain.

Playing better than ever,

Jim

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bits&Bytes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim;

No doubt you are right. But the ideal would be to have an hour or so a week over a longer period of time. That makes it logistically impossible for me. For someone that is at your caliber a single 6 hour marathon is probably beneficial - for someone at my comeback level it may be a waste of Pops time.

How about this: I would sell two lips, three fingers of my right hand, and two of my triple tongues to have Pops live within driving distance....

B&B
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that Jeff or his "Balanced Embouchure" book need defending, but I couldn't help responding to the flame earlier in this thread, since by coincidence I'm in the process of re-reading it for the first time since I originally purchased it a couple of years ago. Turns out I already have a 'balance embouchure' based on Jeff's description in the book, so there wasn't as much upside for me in reading it, but I think it's a great book nonetheless. In fact, I think it's one of the best written books of it's type I've ever seen, not to mention the pictures and accompanying CD. I was thoroughly impressed, with the quality, and ultimately the approach. It just turns out that I was alread on the path. It was still interesting reading and I believe worth the money for anyone that considers themselves a true student of the trumpet. IMO, if someone truly believes it was a waste of money, they probably don't have a good understanding of what it takes to play the trumpet successfully, and unfortunately, given their apparent close mindedness, have little hope of learning.

Good Luck All, and Keep On Blowin'

[ This Message was edited by: MF Fan on 2003-02-20 11:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MF Fan on 2003-02-20 11:50 ]
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Jeff and Pops books and at the age of 40..both have been a great help. (I'm gonna get to see you eventually Pops!..you too Jeff!)

HOWEVER! I don't know if I could have properly absorbed, appreciated, applied and commited myself correctly to materials as a teenager.

I hope that trjteams post does not discourage kids at any age to get these great books(even big kids like me!).

BTW: POPS..do you offer a special discount on your new "pros talk" book to those who already have purchased all your others(as I have?)
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-19 21:06, Batmann wrote:
But you don't think your time with your last method of study was a waste of money or time? This question is only posed to get you to understand that bashing what did not work for you should be done on an equal level. If you bought "The Balanced Embouchure" you must have not been happy with results from the other books promoted by the ______ _________ method. You should also state that the _________ ________ method was a waste of money also. I wish you success in all that you do.

I was more then happy with the results that the Claude Gordon method gave me because I got something out of the method and I saw improvement. I had to stop it because it was a little too demanding and I didn't have the time to complete the lessons.

The reason I said BE was a waste of my money was because I really didn't learn anything from the book or see any improvement after about 3 or 4 months. Maybe I didn't give it enough time or maybe I didn't really understand the concepts but whatever it was I just didn't get it. I have a friend that also bought the book when I bought it and the method worked fine for him and he still uses the set up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-19 21:39, trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Congratulations George!

You are the first person to say that my book was a waste of money. Although I am reluctant to sell books to really young students, I don't always have direct control over sales, as I have distributors. Even so, I will do my best to make it work if the player emails me with questions and progress reports. I don't charge for this, as it is just part of the deal.

I think that you emailed me once.

If you send it back, I will be happy to issue a refund.

BTW - as you go through your embouchure safari, consider the idea of commitment.

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net

Thanks for the offer. But I'll keep the book. I still enjoy listening to people around my age nailing the high notes. I'm sure that maybe in the future I will get something out of the book.

And thanks for the advice.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-19 22:00, trickg wrote:
trjeam wrote:
Quote:
This surprises me from you George. I too have the book (my WONDERFUL wife got it for me for a Christmas present) and although I'm not seeing instant results with it, I have made some progress in that I seem to have better endurance, my upper range is coming a bit easier and everthing seems to be a bit less forced. You are a Sophomore in HS right? When I was your age, if I didn't see results within about a week, I gave up on it. I have since learned that improving certain aspects of your playing can take YEARS, not merely weeks or even months. I couldn't consistenly play anything above high C until I was about 26 and although things still aren't as good as I would like them to be, my chops are continuing to become more efficient.

Back to the subject at hand, Pops and his methods of teaching, I went out on a limb and started to do the pencil exercise. I haven't noticed anything spectacular yet, but I've only been doing it for a little over a week.

One last thing that I thought I would mention is the guy that I know that uses Superchops. This guy did nothing else for just over an entire year before it started to come around for him and he was successful with it. Don't give up until you know for certain that things aren't going to work. It's like lifting weights. You have to do it for a while before you start to see any major results.

I guess everyone is different. Some methods work for some people and some don't. Or maybe I just didn't understand the book. In the future when I have time to mess with my chops I'll look back at the book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: