• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

making unfounded judgements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: making unfounded judgements Reply with quote

the recent post about asking if it mattered if you oiled valve springs brought out some un-needed criticism and chased away a fine pro. the person just asked a question and was lambasted for it and even was accused of being a scammer. it only took a couple of people to chase away some really great people at TM and that site went down hill. People please keep your self righteous judgements to yourselves until you have proof - PLEASE. Dave
Weril Cornet Lo 7535
King Master Cornet 295628
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to start a flame war Dave, and certainly not with someone whose intentions are as good as yours.
Nonetheless, the poster in question wrote some inane posts in just a few minutes time in order to raise his post count to gain credibility in the Marketplace.
He wasn't interested in the answers, and he was manipulating this system for his own uses.
It backfired.
He himself is chagrinned.
We all should just leave this thing alone and let it go away on its own.

r.
amuller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both of you on this. The posts were inane, AND the person was on the receiving end of a truckload of "s" from the community. Then this person did not attempt to defend themself in any way. All they needed to do was say, "Hey, ya know, I was just curious. I am a man/woman of few words...." But they did not.

We all know, but must be reminded occaisionally, that electronic communication lacks tone- tone of anger, sarcasm, jocularity, etc. I would hate to lose some of the truly great players/posters over dumb posts and stupid misunderstandings. I know this has happened in the past!

But a lot of this stuff is fun and funny!

A
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MULLER!!!!!!!!!!

What's goin' on G?!

Rich

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
Tyler Williams
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that personal disputes and attacks should be taken care of via private messages. No one likes to be called out in public and a PM can easily be ignored.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Why are we arguing in the first place? TH set up the number of responses needed to participate in Marketplace. The person could have signed in to say "hi" the prescribed number of times to fulfil the requirement.

When it comes down to it, Marketplace will always carry a risk. It is based upon the honesty and integrity of both seller and buyer.

The respondent did what had to be done to be eligible for Marketplace and we've made it a larger issue than it should have been.

Marketplace is not going to be perfect...never was and probably never will. It is a risk and it appears to be turning musicians against each other.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Oldpaint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incident was shameful. The character assault squad lacked even the grace to admit their egregious error in judgment when presented with the true facts by the moderator. Weren't even embarrassed. Claimed to have done it for the good of the forum. What a self-serving crock.
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe then the first posts of new posters should be rated by members of the community with, let's say, at least 100 posts to make sure the newbie poster doesn'T just post junk but posts qualified "good" posts before placing an ad in the marketplace. In that sense, the marketplace would become a trading place for genuine members (or scammers with a lot of dedication).

Just a thought.
Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975)
Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP
Getzen Eterna 940
Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
regaltrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that although technology is fast when it comes to communication, it can also become a sort of impersonal weapon. People think perhaps since we are behind the computer screen millions of miles away from others and ya don't have to see anybody face to face, there's no need to be as considerate when it comes to words. I'll just log onto random chat rooms and forums to see if this is consistent through all of them and...it is. People will just log on to call somebody something or to single a person out to bully. Yeah, sure you can see it's petty little games, but the people behind the screen still have feelings and although it may be true that the computer separates us from house to house, mile to mile, it is in the end a very inconsiderate way to behave.

"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises." - Demosthenes
mistermoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am a new member, and to be quite candid, I did join in order to post something in the marketplace. Count this as post #1.

I completely agree that there should be some regulation of the marketplace, and I am perfectly happy to comply. I understand it is there for a reason, and if I dont get around to making 5 posts that make sense so the board at large, well then it's a good policy.

I'm not a player anymore by any measure. I stopped playing in college. I have my old Bach 42B trombone that was gathering dust until I loaned it to my nephew. I'm just as likely to pick up the Buescher alto sax that I got at a yardsale as I am the Bronx Strad that I am now parting with.

I would rather post an ad here so that players can see it rather than putting it up on Fleabay. I'd like to see it find a good home.

So, anyway, there is post #1. Policy working so far...

lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistermoe...four 'mo to go!

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: