• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chop Recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IbEtTeRdEnjOO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my all county concert today which consisted of only 2 rehersals..one yesterday and 1 before the concert earlier today...anywho...yesterday we had 4+ hours of rehersal added on to my usual 2ish hours of normal daily play time...today we had 3 hours of practice added to the concert....to make a long story short...my chops feel dead...just wondering some ways to get better in the shortest amount of time. I have another concert monday im hoping i do good for that with all this going on....thanks

~Jared~
steve watkins

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some soft playing-Clarks Technical Studies, maybe. I would try to play as little as possible until your chops recover.
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest a REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluttering, as in blowing air and letting your lips and cheeks flap freely. This will break down the lactic acid that makes you tight. Bobby Shew and Roger Ingram swear by this. You can reach Roger's site via Roddy's interview with Roger. (Help Roddy).
1B
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I really overdo it, I'll ice my embrochure for 10-20 minutes, much as a pitcher ices an elbow after a game. The theory is the same as fluttering -- you want to drive the lactic acid and other metabolites out. Once you stop icing the strained area, "fresh" blood flows in and healing starts. If I've abused my chops so badly that I need to do this, I also REST for at least 12 hours, and only play lightly the next day ... I do what I need to to stay in shape, but that's all.

I've never heard of anyone else doing this, so maybe it's a bad idea. If it is, I bet I'll hear about it!

One comeback player's opinion ...

Matthew 25:31-46
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the ice in a gin and tonic works very well.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
nicolashuang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have air escaping from the sides while playing? I have been resting for 1 week and I still feel weakness on the left side and some ache
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BREATHE!!!!
Concentrate on really deep breathing, it will take your mind off your chops and make sure they get some well deserved oxygen. Make sure you keep a bottle of water in rehearsals to keep hydrated (most of our body is liquid) this will also keep your chops feeling fresh. Get a good nights sleep in - this will leave feeling revitalised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1B is right on the money - chop fluttering and SLEEP. Allow the body to repair itself - not just time off the horn.
DWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1B,

No doubt different things work for different people and you've gotten some advice here that might work for you. One thing that I am learning is to never judge my playing by how it feels though...only by how it sounds. Can you get a good sound? If not, can you make a good sound come out the bell even if it is just a low C or something? Whatever you can get a good sound playing, play that and gradually expand outward in scales, clarkes, or lyrical studies, something easy on the chops.

My advice--don't play a bunch, just play a few minutes here and there concentrating on the most resonant tone you can make...ofcourse that should always be at the forefront of our minds, right?

Just my opinion,

David
preacherman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice: play on the day after a monster-chop-dead-gig just some p pedal-tones. And think that rest is just the best for your exhausted chops. Some magnesium and some vitamins won't do anything bad. But -in my opinion- just relax and take a rest. If you try to do to much for your chops they don't get the rest they need. Before next time playing remember that you did the best for your chops to give them the time to recover, enjoy a long warm-up and play like any other day. Don't think about the tiredness of your lips, that just dis-improves the sound cause you can become nervous. That doesn't help at all.

To make a long blabla short:
some soft pedals
some good food
a good warmup

and you did a great job for your chops.
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to make an effort to 'cool down' after I play ... long soft pedal tones and the flutter thing. The goal is to try and get blood flowing back into the area. That done; good, deep rest and pedal tones the following day.
JeroenJongeling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth after all the above posts:
Play long, soft notes. One note per breath and in the range from low C down to low F#.
Don't try to force the notes to sound, if they come; okay, if they don't; no problem. They probably pop out the second time you do the routine.
Use breath attacks, this will frustrate you probably even more, but it will help your chops.
Do this a couple of times.
Do as in Gordon and rest as long between the notes as you play them.
After 15 minutes your chops will feel a whole lot better, they'll probably tingle. That's the sign to stop and leave it at that for the rest of the day.
trumpet_boi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. I would ice your chops down for a little bit before you go to bed, just ice them down for 15 mins to half an hour. That's what my band director suggests me to do after playing for long periods of time. Good luck, keep the trumpeting alive!!!
roelf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Roel Flores. I have tried something quite new I think. I will have to see what my other fellow trumpet players think about this. I have been experimenting with mimimum mouthpiece pressure. I have read many articles on how to achieve this. I had this idea about putting some masking tape ( a little bit ) right above where the red part of the lip meets the face. And I do the same with the lower lip. I practice anything below 2nd line G. This is to ensure that I use the mimimum mouthpiece pressure. It sounds bad at first because the lips are not used to vibrating that way. But I have found some success after 30 minutes of practice. I would love to hear what you guys think about this. Let me know floresroel@hotmail.com and don't forget to visit my website at http://www.roelflores.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest rest & more rest! Then develop a pattern of practice/performance that insures you never over-extend yourself again. And when you acheive that balance write me back & remind me to start taking my own advice...

One other thought: To improve your endurance get rid of your Bach mouthpiece & get a Marcincowicz. Jeez I like those pieces! Marcincowicz has given me back my control, power, consistency & endurance.

Riddle: Play a bunch of mouthpieces from different manufacturers while sitting in total darkess. Now how can you tell which one is the Bach mouthpiece?

Answer: It's the one that always hurts when you blow it.
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Gin and Tonic.....I mean ICE....LOL
seriously.....play, but don;t play high or exert yourself.......

Kurt
johnski25
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of echos what other people are saying but seriously, take a day off. It's amazing how good taking a day off makes your playing feel and sound. Don't even think about your chops or playing for that whole day. Don't worry, you definatly won't be out of shape after a day off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: