• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vibrato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackz9999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was searching the web about vibrato and came to Bryan Goff's site, http://mailer.fsu.edu/~bgoff/tpt-tips/tip105.htm. It talks about how your trumpet should be tuned sharper than usual when using vibrato. This sort of makes sense because is it easier to bend a pitch down than up. I was just wondering if this is correct.
Also, it talks a good vibrato being about 5-6 vibrations per second. Again, I was just curious as to if this is accurate. Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: jackz9999 on 2003-02-23 00:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jackz9999 on 2003-02-23 00:09 ]
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the number of vibrations per second is related to the music you are playing, style, tempo etc...for instance, in the first movement of the Kennan, my vibrato is considerably faster than, say, the second mvt of the Haydn or Hummel because the Kennan is more aggressive. As to tuning the note sharp, yes it makes sense, but do you use vibrato on every note? I think that might make the horn flat and only vibrato in tune...which might be counterproductive. If people can hear that its actually vibrato, doesnt it become acceptable for the pitch to bend simply because thats a function of vibrato? Though, I could be wrong:) just in High School:)

Stuart
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you tune your trumpet sharp when using vibrato? If using jaw vibrato, the lowering of the jaw and tongue create the fluctuation in pitch for the desired effect, but tuning sharp has nothing to do with achieving the desired effect. I agree with trptplyr that the style of the music dictates the speed of the vibrato. I am very disturbed by that tuning thing. I would be curious to hear if anyone else has heard of that before.
1B
mophead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the point of vibrato more the effect than the pitch(es) produced? One guy pointed out to me its a useful tool to hide bad intonation. IMO, many people over-emphasize their tuning slides, particularly on trumpet. Its more or less if your chops are on pitch than the horn. Although, the tuning slide shouldn't be moved out too far, there are "sweet spots" for the horn to have better intonation throughout the registers. Sorry for the rabbit trail
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to adjust one's tuning when using vibrato.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart makes a good point here. Vibrato is not something that is turned on or off for an entire piece or passage. Good musicians use combinations of faster vibrato, slower vibrato, wider vibrato, etc, and no vibrato, depending on the music and the context. If you tune sharp to play with a wide vibrato, for example, what happens if the next passage is played with no vibrato?

John Urness
trumpetgeek234
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an overly used vibrato might hide bad tone. IMO it should be used as a stylistic device. Using it too much will result in the opposite of what is intended. I think it should be applied on selected places, never too much.
Trumpet Gal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrato has always given me touble, so I have a question--what exactly makes a good vibrato? I've heard some people who can do vibrato beautifully, and others that sound like a dying sheep, but I've never been able to make a great vibrato myself. So I was just wondering for those of you who can do vibrato, how do you do it? thanks!
~Amy~
musicmonkey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think people focus too much on tuning slides and less on LISTENING!!!!!!! to pitches. I really can't stress how important listening to myself both before and as you play and to other players has been to my trumpet playing.

So, instead of fiddling with a tuning slide during your rests and before pieces according to the vibrato, practice the piece and know how you want to sound. Then, sound that way.

mm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: