• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

***PIRACY!***

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that a guy is committing blatant acts of piracy is a serious thing. The fact that someone has blown the whistle on him by using this forum is a good thing. To criticize the whistle blower because he himself has not taken a crusading action against this pirate fraud is a small matter. Let's stop upending mouse turds and confine our comments here to something more constructive and less abrasive.
Also, if someone is upset enough that the original whistle blower has possibly done nothing, why doesn't he himself do something about it, now that he knows about it and it is quite obviously extremely important to him, important enough to cause him to make disparaging remarks about another poster's lack of testicular development?
The world would be a better place if people like Mr Moore, instead of attacking the original poster, had answered something like:" That's a terrible thing. Have you been able to do anything about it? If not, what do you think can be done?"
Bill Barnes
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"lack of testicular development"
I thought the guy was talking about ONIONS.

PRICELESS

ROFLMAO
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textr wrote:
Don , you are exactly right, and as far as my post is concerned(concerning Mr. Stomvi) , I'm sorry ,I just couldn't resist. And furthermore , your sugestions are excellent, but I don't think that one would have much luck in finding a lawyer to take this case "pro bono", although I could be wrong. I'm not a lawyer , but I'm sure that there are some lawyers that do post on here, maybe they could comment.
Anyway, I am not trying to argue with you , nor am I tryng to "fan the flames". I also went to the guy's website and enjoyed the Cheeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssyyyyyyyyyy photos. Like I said, this thread gave a really good belly laugh early on a Friday morning, and that's a good thing

Thanks, textr, and I agree about the lawyer. My feeling (hope) is that one of the organizations, or local media, may be willing to handle that for the OP, once they are contacted. It galls me to think that something like this could happen, and the guy can get away with it. - Don
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking at the 100 plus instruments (no I didn't count them) , the thought occured to me that this guy must have a few hundred bucks
invested in INSTRUMENT STANDS alone. This is really a hoot.

Edit: I won't even comment on the "scream box" , or maybe I just did.

Last edited by textr on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tanze Samba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT??? Deep Throat was an FBI Agent????? I always thought that was a movie..........

But to the topic at hand (I'm trying not to be tongue in cheek here.... ) Anyway, I can say first hand that copyright infringement cases are tricky and not at all straight forward. A rather LARGE toy manufacturer stole the universe my husband created in his first trilogy. We thought it was such an open and shut obvious case. We did finally win, but that was 3 lawyers and 6 years later! This was a very blatently obvious case, but there are so many little nuances to the law that just going through all the procedures took an inordinant amount of time and effort. In the end, we had to do it. You always have to protect your intellectual property, no matter what. Otherwise, down the line this toy company could have tried to say my husband stole their universe!

I do believe the damaged parties should be notified, but it sounds like the OP already did that.
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people have been starting arguements around here for as long as i can remember coming to the trumpet herald (way before i started posting). Its part of the herald experience! You just gotta take the good with the bad.......
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intellectual property must be protected. Otherwise, why should one work hard to reach a goal on his own?
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely Mr. Stomvi doth protest overly. One can only wonder why.

Asher Hockett
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westview1900 wrote:
Intellectual property must be protected.

Yeah, but this can really only be done by the ownersof the intellectual property. The OP said that he had notified the persons involved; it's really up to them now. Maybe they don't care. Or maybe they are being paid for the usage of their material? Only they know for sure. All anyone else can do is boycott the show. (I guess that you could stand outside the Az. Opry, protest, and let the uninformed know, but I doubt that they care. They just want to be entertained.)
veery715 wrote:
Surely Mr. Stomvi doth protest overly. One can only wonder why.

While Mr. Stomvi may have been a little too exuberant, there have been many occasions in the past where an unknown person has raised a ruckus just for the heck of it. Do you remember m4? It took a while before his identity was known.

I think both the OP and Mr. Stomvi are doing things that they believe will improve the musical world in general and this forum in particular. The intent of both posters was to do good.

-- An anonymous, professional amateur.....
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys need to track down the Star Wars trumpet babe and get her to make it a quartet. Then they can play in FOUR different keys at the same time.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
, the panties in a wad remark was beautiful

I feel it necessary to correct the 'panties in a wad' statement. There are three, and only three approved idioms in the English language which reference lower body clothing to express unnecessary dissatisfaction or objection. They are:

1. knickers in a knot
2. jammies in a bunch
3. panties in a twist

These are recorded in the Library of Congress, the Oxford Dictionary, Strunk & White, and in several ancient manuscripts. "Panties in a wad" is wholly unsupported.

(I finished my lunch early today)
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
bunny
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, wanted to look at this guy's stuff, but his website doesn't seem to be up anymore.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirder and weirder it gets...

A review of a Ruidoso Dinner theater...

http://www.goenewsletter.com/june05story1.htm

claims George Staerkel was the lead singer for the Tokens ("The Lion Sleeps Tonight") and implies he sang lead on their 60's hit. Wonder where the wri6ter got that idea. The offical Tokens website makes no mention of Mr. Staerkel in its list of members nor do any of the other websites I've found. FWIW.

A FIVE OCTAVE vocal range??? Wow. Perhaps he sings into the "Converto-Box" which transposes the high range into a frequency audible to most humans.

P.S. for those in search of fascinating music trivia and a truly incredible story, Google search the title of that tune.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunny wrote:
Wow, wanted to look at this guy's stuff, but his website doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Perhaps it's hitting the fan already.

No problem. I'm not a fan.

If you DO want to see those pages, click on this link...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=JMk&q=+site:www.widerangeproductions.com+george+staerkel

You may need to click on "cached" as this will turn up a bit more but the pics are G-A-W-N Gawn.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyMike wrote:
Weirder and weirder it gets...

A review of a Ruidoso Dinner theater...

http://www.goenewsletter.com/june05story1.htm

claims George Staerkel was the lead singer for the Tokens ("The Lion Sleeps Tonight") and implies he sang lead on their 60's hit. Wonder where the wri6ter got that idea. The offical Tokens website makes no mention of Mr. Staerkel in its list of members nor do any of the other websites I've found. FWIW.

I think it was Jay Siegel who sang lead on the original recording. Or maybe it was Abraham Lincoln.
http://www.tsimon.com/tokens.htm
http://www.destinationdoowop.com/tokens.htm
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president

Last edited by westview1900 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before his site vanished his bio claimed he played keyboard for the Tokens from 1980-85. Must've been one of those reunion tours.

I can't believe I'm contributing to this

Kent
amtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to his bio (which you can still get to from google) he has arranging and recording credits with Maynard Ferguson, Woody Herman, and Bill Watrous bands. I wonder if any of this is true. Also:

"A recent addition to George's list of endeavors is his own internet website where the computer generated background accompaniments he produces are now available for purchase to the general public. In the past three years he has provided music for seven pageant winners including Miss Wisconsin 2000, all of which won their respective titles with George's musical arrangements."

I wonder if he produced Stacy Hedger's background track.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is correct to say "panties in a knot." It's in the Geneva Convention. Look it up!
droll7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ***PIRACY!*** Reply with quote

equally well tempered wrote:
I want to assure everyone that what I present are facts and can be confirmed by someone with unquestionable credibility. I have confirmed that at least 15 of those tracks are stolen...13 of which are Doc Severinsen originals and 1 of Maynard Ferguson. (which confirms he has stolen from more than the trumpet world)...I'm sure there are others. There ARE tracks I am fairly certain ARE George, but they are the minority.

I'm curious how you "confirmed" that the recordings were piracy. A simple way to verify would be to take a wave file of the original as well as from George's recording and lay the files one under the other in a multi track digital audio recorder.

If you do that you will find that they are different recordings. They will not line up. It would be impossible because the fact of the matter remains they are different recordings.

IMO before you go out of your way to make defamory claims about someone you should be totally sure to verify your sources.
Smokin Joe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a few times to find this guys website but apparently from reading a few other messages above it has been taken down.

Maybe the originating post has gotten the ball rolling agaist this guy after all.

Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: