• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Building Endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new member here so please forgive me if this has been discussed.

About 5 months ago I started playing again after many years off. My children are in elementary school band. I started playing again so that I could play with them while they practice. It seems to encourage them to practice more often and with more intensity. I fell in love with the trumpet, all over again. Besides kicking myself for giving it up in the first place, I have decided to keep playing.

I find that at this time I can practice about 30 to 40 minutes, 5 nights a week. Currently I am using Arban. While my technical skill and range seem to be returning, slowly, I am really struggling with my endurance. Both technique and range start to really suffer after about 25 minutes.

I realize that this will increase with time, but my question is, what specific techniques or exercises do people suggest to help with endurance???

Thanks

Kanstul Chicago 1000
Reynolds Contempora Cornet
Conn Vintage 1 Flugelhorn
G-MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is great that you have started playing again and I also found that when I practice it really encourages my kids to practice as well. In regards to your practice and your endurance there are a coup-le of things I would mention and I know it has been stated here many times. When practicing we must rest as much as we play. Trying to play a 30 - 40 minute stretch at one time especially when starting out again it may not be the best. I would put a break in there and maybe rest for 15 minutes and then continue. Also when practicing I would practice softly. No louder than mf. This should help your endurance. On the comeback trail I would also reccommend if possible to find a community band that you can join as you will find many people like yourself who simply enjoy playing and this is a great motivation if you have a place to play and perform. Hope it helps and I am sure many here will add to this.

1974 L.A. Benge 3X MLP (#13120)
1976 Getzen Eterna Fluegelhorn
2007 Yamaha YTR6810S Piccolo
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB!. Slurs......slurs..slurs........ Hope this helps!

bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Young Man with a Horn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Caruso method is very good for improving endurance and could be used easily as part of your daily routine. Try browsing the Carmine Caruso forum for more information.
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just amen to the last two posts. Rest as much as you play and use the Caruso long tones. Good luck and enjoy!
gander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Everyone

Kanstul Chicago 1000
Reynolds Contempora Cornet
Conn Vintage 1 Flugelhorn
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that works the corners, i.e. slurs, lots of articulation exercises. The Allen Colin book "Corners" is good for this, available through Colin Publishing. Resting as much as you play is also important. I'd say it's important to do more frequently than less. If it takes you 20 seconds to play and exercise or song, make sure you get the horn off your chops for an equal amount of time before moving on. Going 20 minutes non-stop, then resting 20 minutes isn't going to help.

Finally, good use of air will help take the load off your chops. Big full breaths, don't let yourself get below 1/2 tank. Keeping full helps maintain air pressure, which makes everything easier. Finally, if you haven't already got a copy, purchase Claude Gordon's "Brass PLaying Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing." It's all text, and really helps keep you focused on the essential elements of playing. Good Luck!

Schilke 15a4 - 23 Throat
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra

[ This Message was edited by: MF Fan on 2003-02-28 15:23 ]
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going 20 minutes non-stop, then resting 20 minutes isn't going to help.

Going 20 minutes (almost) non-stop and then resting 20 minutes is exactly how Caruso had me practice. The "almost" means that after an exercise you take the horn off, empty the water, etc., and then continue with the next exercise. The pause time may range anywhere from 5-10 seconds up to 20-30 seconds.
MidNiteHorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gander man, all the advice you've received to date is excellent. Also play a pedal tone exercise at the beginning of each practice....can use as part of your warm-up, also warm-down at the end of the session. Pedal tones help build both endurance and range.

To G-Man in North Van, BC.....my old stomping ground up on Glencanyon Drive (west from Lonsdale Ave along Queens) from 1956-1962. We pioneered the building development up there. Hacked our lot right out of the bush. Drop me an email at dolms80825@aol.com.

Don Olmsted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: