• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The GREAT UNKNOWN trumpet player on old 1979 ICE CASTLES rec

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyDon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I ran across my some of my twin sisters old 33 long-play records from the 60-70's.
I found an old Marvin Hamlish-Alan Parsons project...The Orginal movie score from ICE CASTLES....which appears to be an early "chick-flick coming of age movie, from the appearence of th album cover, showing the blaine-lame Bobby Benson holding up some cutie-pie on skates...WHAT EVER????

I picked up the old YTR 739 and thought I would play along as just an exercise in Ear to valve thag'....
when I flip sided to the #2 cut---- I found an incrediably beautiful trumpet number....
JUST LIKE DISCOVERING A GOLD MINE!!! WHAT A TREASURE...

then on the same FLIP #2 side found the last cut "FINALE" (perhaps the same trumpeter) take this sweetie-pie theme song...TO ANOTHER "OUT OF THIS WORLD" LEVEL of trumpet performance.

His or her tone was huge dense, with clarity seldom heard today. His strato "octave above the clouds" could surely PEEL PAINT but retained an ALIVE, AND REGAL SOUND. Not a hint of pinchy-squeals....that we hear so much from so many so called ICON high register players in vogue today....

Marvin Hamlish and Alan Parson's GAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT TO ANY OF THE MUSICIANS.
SHAME ON YOU GUYS...WERE YOU JUST "SUCKIN' UP THE GLORY" FOR YOURSELVES OR WHUT???)))

I wonder why in those days....they didn't list the orchestra's or the musicians wonderful solos??? Why???? Would they have had to pay them more or what. WHAT AN OVER SIGHT?

IF ANY ONE HAS AN IDEA WHO THIS GIFTED TRUMPET WAS OR IS???
Please fill in the blanks for this old MIGHTY-MEAGER DON???
MightyDon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received some imput from a lurking Calif. trpt player. Mr. C.P. said that he was pretty sure that it could have been Chuck Findley...as he was doing bunches of this kind of stuff in the late 70-and 80's and also played on a bunch of other Alan Parson project #s. but this is not fact, just feelings.
Also said that perhaps he could locate names through the movie...Ice Castles....which is still quite in demand for up and coming Ice dancers...etc. And the price of the movie is only around $14.00 or so. hummm??? OH well.what the @#$%^&*()_+++++

Still too bad...moviescores didn't give a rip about listing artists in those days. Humm?
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Warren Luenning.
Perry
MightyDon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-15 21:59, bachstrad72 wrote:
It was Warren Luenning.
Perry

Thanks, Perry....
Tell me more about Warren, if possible. Truly a very beautiful trumpet voice. Warren really nailed that FINALE! What a talent.
So little information is available on these old records.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it mighe be John Harner. He played lead with Stan Kenton in the mid 70's. He played the screech solo on "Send in the Clowns". I have heard him play the "Ice Castles Theme" with a jazz band before. I am not sure if he did the recording. He has a fat tone in the high register and if it is high, it may very well be him.

Jon Arnold
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the "Kenton 76" album with "Send in the Clowns" and in that version, John Harner only played the solo to a Double G (not the option B natural in some recordings) , but it was HUGE! It's still, 16 years after I first heard it, one of the passages that I listen to again and again. The very first time I heard that I was thinking, "no...he can't possibly...OH MY GOD!!!!!"
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...excellent!!...have you guys checked out ''Bud Brisbois'' on the http://www.trumpetstuff.com site?

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
MightyDon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-16 11:54, Jon Arnold wrote:
I think it mighe be John Harner. He played lead with Stan Kenton in the mid 70's. He played the screech solo on "Send in the Clowns". I have heard him play the "Ice Castles Theme" with a jazz band before. I am not sure if he did the recording. He has a fat tone in the high register and if it is high, it may very well be him.

Jon Arnold

I checked all over the place today at lunch... and couldn't confirm anywhere that Warren played this?
According to my Monette contacts (who were lurking on this board also) contacted me and they feel that perhaps it was another one of Hamlish's buddies from NYC.
I will check out John Harner....IT IS AMAZING JUST HOW MANY GREAT PLAYERS THEY ARE IN THIS WORLD. I could not find any thing on numeous sites...for Mr. Luenning???? Nuttin' on Yaaaahoo-ho-humm or from the ITG or various other websites.

Everyday.....lately, I have been including in my practice, Ear and pitch training exercises by playing along with various old soundtrack music. I have re-hooked up my old quartz turntable...and have found that as far as pitch metering problems go, for some reason the pitch stays far more consistant than with my CD player and tapes. Must be the crappy quality of my SONY CD RECEIVER AND CHANGER??? I notice that I get a much steadier indication reading and as well as the tuning slide pull on my Callet is more in the concert pitch center range. When using the CD player my tuning slide is jammed almost all the way in...and now it requires a pull of about 5/8" which is about normal @ 68 degree room temp. FOR WHAT THIS DRIVIL IS WORTH.
Anyhoo....
Nothing beats playing along with recorded music....with lots of key changes and pieces that are written for many other instruments. Our old tpt professor...Jacoby said that each and every day, we should make it a goal, to play music that we enjoy and try to make it as beautiful-note by note....paying attention to the artist that we are listening for such things equally as important. Playing with contrasts in not only volume but in what the music is trying to tell us...and using movie scores are especially good because it was main objective was to add feeling and impact to the theme and content of the movies and listening with this in mind while playing is of prime importance.

Another reminder to check the latest issue of IMPROV MAG. CLIFFORD BROWN ISSUE....with a wonderful SLEEPER 13 page interview with one of the finest trpt players and teachers in the BRONX...THE ONE AND ONLY ICON JIMMY OWENS...This alone makes the heavy $13.00 price worth the pirce of the issue. PURE GOLD GLEANED ON EACH AND EVERYONE OF THOSE 13 PAGES...AH YES..BUT ONLY A $1.00 A PAGE.
What a bargin in today's high price world...and includes a nice CD. and transciptions showing and illustrating Clifford Brown's wonderful Improv.
bachstrad72
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher toured with Warren Luenning on Burt Bacharach's band, and he said that the solos on the Ice Castles soundtrack are Warren.
Perry
Mark Heuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In '77 or '78 (can't recall) I was fortunate enough to attend a jazz clinic at Drake University in Iowa with John Harner presenting. That evening with Stan Kenton's band he played lead trumpet, including his powerful solo from "Send in the Clowns". AWESOME!
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harner currently lives in Xenia, Ohio (his boyhood home) and is the high school band director (what a bunch of lucky kids!). He is VERY involved with his church and his family. He still is an absolutely awesome player and one of the nicest people in the world. He credits his work with Carmine for much of his success as a player.
MightyDon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-16 17:31, PH wrote:
Harner currently lives in Xenia, Ohio (his boyhood home) and is the high school band director (what a bunch of lucky kids!). He is VERY involved with his church and his family. He still is an absolutely awesome player and one of the nicest people in the world. He credits his work with Carmine for much of his success as a player.

A REALLY HUGE THANK YOU.....FOR ALL THE INFO
I just gotta find more recordings from this wonderfully gifted player. Whoah...
joetriscari
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Chuck Findley...Pretty sure.
Joe Triscari
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Chuck's great and rare talent but...But Mr. Harner said that he was the performer.

I feel soooooooo guilty. I still have that ICE castles recording I promised to send Mr. Harner. (I just found it buried under a bunch of old crap that I was going to send to the dump. I didn't have the heart to tell Mr. H that I had missplaced that old LP before I could get it maile off. (gee, baaaaad to the bone don.
He said that HE WAS THE GUILTY PARTY WHO RECORDED THAT NUMBER ON THE OLD LP!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: