• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Maynard CDs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know why a good portion of Maynard's older stuff never made it to CD? It doesn't seem to be the fact that they are older recordings, since a lot of older recordings of others have been made into CDs. Even his "Best of Maynard Ferguson" was once available on CD and no longer is (I saw one going on eBay the other day for $43).

I know all of Maynard's newer stuff (Big Bop Nouveau, etc.) is available on CD, and I vaguely remember hearing something about some disagreement with Columbia about the older recordings, but I was wondering if anyone knew details.

I think it's a real shame, since this man has been a huge innovator in jazz, and a lot of his work is no longer available (unless through used record stores, etc.).

Mike Trzesniak

[ This Message was edited by: Blue Devil on 2003-03-02 14:08 ]
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you take the old LP's and burn them onto CD? When I started listening to Maynard, I listened to the 70's stuff, Rocky, etc. I have a CD called Maynard 61 that is awesome. I like his stuff from the 50's and 60's the best. The Birdland Dream Band is off the hook! I have a few old LP's as well. I also have the Cilfford Brown box set of Emarcy recordings and there is a CD that is a live jam session with Clifford Brown, Clark Terry and Maynard. It definitely gave me a new respect for him. Sadly most people know Maynard from his later recordings and some bash his music especially the 70' s stuff. Maynard is truly an awesome and incredible trumpeter that has inspired countless musicians throughout his carreer.
diz the wiz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE ON CD THE REISSUE THAT MOSAIC PUT ON THE MARKET A FEW YEARS BACK AND IT'S ALL OF THE ROULETTE RECORDING OF MAYNARD AND THE BIRDLAND DREAMBAND,
INCREDIBLES ARRENGEMENTS AND PLAYING FROM MAYNARD AND IS MUSICIANS,I WISH THEY DO THE SAMETHING WITH THE EMARCY'S RECORDING OF MAYNARD,I THINK THAT THE ROULETTE RECORDINGS ARE THE BEST OF MAYNARD AT IS PRIME,
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback thus far, everybody.

Jon -

Thanks for the suggestion to put some of the old LPs onto CD. The only problem is that I don't own any of the old LPs (I believe I do have one). While I do have friends that have a lot of the old recordings on LP and I did have the thought of asking them if I can get them copied, it still brings up the question of how many people in this current generation and beyond who might not know people that have the old LPs are going to be able to hear what Maynard has contributed to the field of jazz and trumpet playing in general.

I guess I'm looking (out of curiosity) more for the actual reasons as to why the recordings never made it to CD.

Mike Trzesniak
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I am not sure why either. My guess is that there could be several issues. Maybe the labels that originally recorded these albums are out of business. Maybe it is a money thing, if there is not a big demand for these recordings is in a business sense is not profitable to pursue. I agree with Diz The Wiz, the Roulette labels are my favorite and Maynard's best recordings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: