• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

grad schools

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deeeew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a junior at Rutgers (in nj) and I am starting to think about grad schools, either right after or a year after i graduate probably. I'd like to be located by a sizable city, but other than that I don't care. Country does not matter either. My main requirement is that I get to play (and hopefully afford it). I'm into the classical/orchestral thing. Some schools I was looking at were northwestern, arizona st, temple, cleveland, and mcgill among others. Also if anyone has any information on programs that aren't master's (ie training orchestras) that would be cool too
Dawn

[ This Message was edited by: deeeew on 2003-03-03 14:48 ]
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at FSU. I know a couple people there that are loving it. And just spoke with one of them the other day... said that his chops were never so good. He gets to play all the time. He does a lot with the jazz band, but they have awesome classical programs up there too.
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn,

That sounds like a great list of schools. I know people who have gone to all those schools and all have had good results. I, personally, went to Cleveland. It was a very good enviornment to be in. The players were all very good, and because there were only 8 people there when I was there we all had plenty of playing opportunities. Another bonus was hearing the Cleveland Orchestra frequently. If I had to choose today, I'd probably go to one of the following schools.....Cleveland, N'Western, Juilliard, Eastman. I also know someone studying with Mr. Hickman, and he loves him.

Also, check out the New World Symphony. It's a great training orchestra. The players are excellent, and you get to play a ton!!
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I also know someone studying with Mr. Hickman, and he loves him."

Yes, I do. Thanks, Wally!

ASU seems to fit all the criteria you have set down, Dawn, the most attractive of which are studying with Professor Hickman and the full tuition wavers that all performance majors receive. As a masters student, you most likely would perform frequently with the ensembles, as well as have the potential to get some of the freelance work in the area. However, the most impressive thing that Ive found about studying here at ASU (DMA) is that Professor Hickman knows how to get his students jobs. Ive been a finalist for several jobs, both orchestral and university, thanks to his help. He has an incredible wealth of knowledge, from performing to auditioning, to interviewing and writing, to share with his students.

It boils down to which teachers get their students jobs. Hickman is one. I also think Michael Sachs at Cleveland is another, as NYCTPT can attest. All of the programs you listed are great, but which are the ones that produce the working players? Let that be your guide.

Please, feel free to contact me.

Good luck!
JazzCatDRP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're an orchestral player, you might look at Kansas State University. The trumpet teacher, Gary Mortenson, is a phenomonal orchestral/legit style player. When I was there last year, (I don't recall if he still it) he was the editor of the ITG Journal as well. Dr. Mortenson is one of those great players who is also a great teacher. I learned an incredible amount from him. K-State also has a good reputation when it comes to music grad students as well.

As far as your desire to be in a big city, Manhattan KS obviously isn't Manhattan, NY, but it is convienent in that it is only a two hour drive from both the Kansas City metro area, and the Wichita metro area.

Food for thought.
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UH (university of houston) has a really great graduate program, they're wind ensemble is great, they're orchestra is ok, not as good as the wind ensemble, if you're more into the orchestral thing, the Sheperd's school of music at Rice University has an awesome program, good luck getting in, they only accept you if you've had a 4.0 all through school, and UT (universtiy of texas) or UNT have awesome programs as well. Just my $0.02
deeeew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my teachers said something about Hickman (besides being an awesome player and teacher) not being around much for lessons. Is this true? I know someone who was supposed to have gone there so I will try to find out about that.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-03 20:41, Brewblue1 wrote:

ASU seems to fit all the criteria you have set down, Dawn, the most attractive of which are studying with Professor Hickman and the full tuition wavers that all performance majors receive.

Brew,

Can you go into more detail about this? Full tuition waiver based on your major? I like how that sounds! I'm in the hunt for grad schools as well but it's not going to happen until my current enlistment is up. I know full well where I *want* to go but I've got to look at where I can *afford* to go. Anytime I see anything about a tuition waiver it get my attention.

Thanks,

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn,

Professor Hickman has retired from touring as a soloist and, therefore, is around pretty much every week. In fact, we get to see him several times a week in our lesson, group lesson and repertoire/pedagogy class. He has always been available when I need him.

John,

a certain amount of tuition wavers are granted to every studio by the Band department. Each studio professor then makes the decisions as to who gets them. In the trumpet studio, Professor Hickman grants these wavers to the performance majors who study with him. At this time, all 13 performance majors in trumpet have some kind of tuition assistance. I am the grad assistant, so I have the assistantship tuition waver and a stipend, as does the other trumpet GA. All others are on the aformentioned Band Activity Scholarship, which covers all tuition, in most cases. You are required to play in the band, but thats a good thing here at ASU, Gary Hill is a fantastic musician and teacher!

This, of course, is subject to change. The best source of info would be to contact ASU and Professor Hickman.

[ This Message was edited by: Brewblue1 on 2003-03-04 10:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Brewblue1 on 2003-03-04 10:27 ]
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brew,

I just heard today from the Horn player in my quintet, that to get the full ride you're required to be in the marching band? Any merit to that?

John

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

no, you dont have to be in marching band. You DO have to play in the concert bands, though. The Wind Symphony is one of the top college bands in the country, and is a pleasure to perform with.

The only people REQUIRED to do marching band are education majors, who have to do 2 years. But performance majors are NOT required to be in marching band. And as I said before, the performance majors most often are the students who get the band activity tuition wavers.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHEW!!

Thanks for clearing that up Brew! I would have ruled out ASU all together if I had to march! Marching is Da Devil!! I would image you must quite some player to be the GA under Hickman.

I remember years ago when I was in high school, I played in the local orchestra in Brevard, NC for a concert where he was guest soloist. I thought he played great but after talking to him about it, he could do nothing but complain about the humidity, etc and how it adversley affected his chops. Geez, if he played poorly I had no clue!!

I don't mind playing in the concert bands, just as long as I can get some orchestral playing in too. Anything is going to be better than the stripped band we've got where I am. It's really tough trying to get musicians in the military these days. We're really hurting for woodwind players. It seems the only people who keep coming in are the trombone players. It looks like they aren't going to get a job anywhere else...and I'd say they're right. I mean c'mon, they're bone players!

By the way, when are you due to finish up out there? I may try for your job! I'm due to get out in Aug '05. How hard was it for you to win that gig? What did you play for the audition, and where'd you do your undergrad? Did you have to take the GRE? What's your class load like, and are you being raped by the dept in regards to teaching assignments, etc?

Thanks,

John

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I would image you must quite some player to be the GA under Hickman."

Thank you, thats very nice of you to say. I have had a pretty fair amount of success in this business, and feel Im on the verge of landing a big job. Professor Hickman has played a large part in my development, along with my other teachers from U of Mich and Aspen.

"I don't mind playing in the concert bands, just as long as I can get some orchestral playing in too."

There's a good chance that will happen, there are 3 orchestras here.

"By the way, when are you due to finish up out there? I may try for your job! I'm due to get out in Aug '05. How hard was it for you to win that gig? What did you play for the audition, and where'd you do your undergrad? Did you have to take the GRE? What's your class load like, and are you being raped by the dept in regards to teaching assignments, etc? "

Whew! Ill try to answer those as succinctly as I can!

Im pretty much done at the end of the current semester. I couldnt tell you for sure if there will be an opening in '05, you'll just have to keep your eyes open, or contact Professor Hickman. To answer your questions about class load, Ill refer you to: http://music.asu.edu/home.html

The story of me getting the grad assistantship is a long one. If you really want to hear it, Ill be glad to send it via email, I just dont want to create an overly long post here to tell it.

Yes you have to take the GRE. Or you can take the Miller Analogies Test.

I had between 6-8 students each year I was a GA, and also had to teach the trumpet methods course as well as run the trumpet studio class. Additional duties to Professor Hickman arose as was needed. Add that to class load, active freelancing and subbing with the Phoenix Sym and Arizona Opera and I certainly kept very busy!!

I got my BM and MM from University of Michigan where I studied with Armando Ghitalla and Charles Daval.

Ok, I think thats all!

Again, if you want more info, please feel free to email me personally.
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brew,

Yes I would appreciate an off-list email. You can contact me through the TH or use the email in my signature.

Thanks for answering all those questions for me, but I do have several more!

John

Edit: I read your last sentence wrong. I'll be sure and email *you* not the other way around.

John P. Gulyas, MU2, USN
US Navy Band Southeast
NAS Jax, Florida
jgulyas@yahoo.com

[ This Message was edited by: JGulyas on 2003-03-05 07:16 ]
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewblue -

I'd love to hear the story about you getting your assistantship, but I'll wait until next week to hear it. You can tell me over a beer.

Say hi to JC for me. It's funny who you'll run into on these forums...

- Josh
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can tell me over a beer."

Absolutely! I look forward to meeting you, Josh. JC has spoken very highly of you!

Have a safe trip down from Maine.
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want beer!
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-05 13:32, NYCTPT wrote:
I want beer!

the more the merrier... assuming you're buying, of course
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brew is buying! The host with the most, right? Besides, I think he owes me a beer anyway. If he doesn't he should! Have a great time down in AZ!
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.......yeah right, Wally! When have you ever known me to buy the beer?

Host with the most? Most what? If you're talkin' inches in the waistline, due to beer, then you're right on, brutha!

he he

Tell ya what, when you ship your behind down here to AZ, Ill buy you several beers!

Deal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: