• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What "cool down" methode do you have after finish practicing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt. Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there;

Many posts are out there about warm-ups.

But what do you do after you finished practicing and you want to relaxe your lips from the work out you just gave them?

I personally play low notes and plenty pedal notes you fibrate my lips and encourage more blood flow into my lips.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play soft clarke studies mainly from low G to middle G and make sure my response is ok before putting it away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JazzCatDRP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play softly and quietly below the staff and into the pedal range. I go about 5 or so minutes until I feel loose, and get that nice "tingly" feeling!
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a cold draft beer works nicely.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a chromatic scale from low F# to high C, then back down (at a moderate speed). Then I play 5 very soft low Gs, holding each for as long as I can while maintaining a relaxed level of comfort, but still trying to get a nice broad sound. After that, some lip flapping and a facial stretch (open my mouth as wide as I can, sticking my tongue out as far as it will go) or two.

Then comes the Dos Equis and Comedy Central...
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to everybody else...

I like Jeannie Pocius' cool-down -- ice cream, liberally applied!
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really believe in warming down. I mean, the purpose of warming up is to bring the blood to your lips and get everything started up but once you get there, you should be fine for the rest of the practice session. When you're done with the session you shouldn't feel like you've played that much at all, even if you actually have played a lot, at least that's how I like to feel when I'm done playing, so you just put the horn down when you should. The only thing about ending practice sessions that I think is a real must is that it's something that feels correct and comfortable and gets good results. You'll remember the feeling more if it's the last thing you do, and it'll stick with you and help you play better on the next session as well.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warm down (cool down) can be beneficial after a particularly hard blowing gig, where you have had to do what it takes to make the music.

Low notes played softly or a few minutes of easy blowing on the lead pipe (low to middle register) can get all the moving parts realligned for the next day.

I wouldn't leave pedals as the last taste of the day on my embouchure.
Gillestar1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long tones on low notes and pedal tones here.....lips always end up feeling good

Kurt
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-03-04 11:28, bugleboy wrote:

A warm down (cool down) can be beneficial after a particularly hard blowing gig, where you have had to do what it takes to make the music.

Low notes played softly or a few minutes of easy blowing on the lead pipe (low to middle register) can get all the moving parts realligned for the next day.

I wouldn't leave pedals as the last taste of the day on my embouchure.

I understand what you're getting at Mr. Raymond, but I like to think about it like this. The thing is, should there BE such thing as a hard blowing gig? Surely some gigs are more challenging than others when it comes to having good control of your chops and the instrument, but if you really control what you're doing and you're confident, nothing should be so hard that you have to warm down afterwards. I just feel that if you're truly playing correctly, you should feel like you've barely played, even if you've been playing 2 hours or more. I don't get this feeling every time, I get it sometimes and I strive for it. If my mouth feels the least bit sore following a rehearsal or gig, I know that my mechanics might not be working quite as well so I'll have to do some good intelligent practicing and ease off with the pressure...My goal is to be able to make the music at all times without putting my chops in jeopardy at all consistently. I agree with you on the pedal tones part though, because that last bit might influence you to open up your aparture and embouchure...Which wouldn't be good.
johnski25
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Vincent Cichowicz this question once, his answer: "How about a beer?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: